'Interstellar' Reviews Discussion

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.

Well looks like embargo has been broken:

http://widelantern.com/2014/10/review-i ... -the-sores

I'll also copy a couple of user reviews from Letterboxd:

http://letterboxd.com/willml/film/interstellar/
Being officially the first person to review this on all of Letterboxd is daunting.

Let's get a few things out of the way first.

Yes, I saw the film. Yes I got tickets to an early screening. Yes I saw it in IMAX, and yes it was 70mm film.

It will be hard for everyone to be convinced that I did see the film, but for your own sake, let me not share anything about the plot that we don't already know, because why spoil anything here?

"Interstellar" is easily one of the most ambitious films I've ever seen. I still am thinking about it and running it through my mind, which is certainly a very good thing. But I've learned that a grand scale and the attempt to reach to other universes and dimensions...... doesn't always add up to a great film.

Where the film really suffers with me is the writing. To me, nothing is more important in a film than its story. It's everything. It's the deciding factor on whether or not we care about what is happening on screen.
I love love love being challenged by films, but when things - important developments that are crucial to the audience's understanding of the film- are glossed over, I simply can't fully get on board.

The film runs at 169 minutes. Make it 200-210 minutes, and then you have an excellent film.

Believe me. You do NOT feel the run time of this film (WHICH IS AWESOME). And it would have been lightyears better with a better understanding of the situation the Earth is in, BEFORE we go out into space. The film feels like it's in a RUSH, actually, and I was like WAIT NO! SLOW DOWN THIS IS IMPORTANT. And I still can't tell if all the information was there, but it was just covered so quickly..? or if the information wasn't there and you're just supposed to go with it. And believe me, you have to just accept a LOT of the information that you are told.

OK WILL, let's please for fucks sake move on to the positive!!

What a beautiful and transformative film. It's one of the most powerful and deeply felt films to hit the big screen in I don't know how long. The performances are all tremendous, specifically Mcconaughey and Mackenzie Foy. Because of the tremendous direction by Nolan, you still feel deeply for these characters because they are all richly realized and focused people. I sure did cry. No shame.

But all in all the film is rushed. That's my biggest complaint. It has so much going for it, and I just wanted to go back into that editing room and tweak a few things. It's so rushed that when you are supposed to feel tension in these really big intense moments!!.... all you feel is the seats trembling from the roaring Hans Zimmer score. And yes there is a mindfuck that I'm still thinking about. And it's a beautiful and fantastic one that I can't get out of my head for the life of me.

I guess the biggest positive I can give the film is that it is ultimately about LIFE and LOVE and all of its beauty, and I commend Nolan for making that its core, because there's nothing that we as humans should care more about.

I did go a bit critical with my review, to some. But it's truly how I feel. I didn't let the stunning visuals and dramatic manipulation win me over completely. On the 7th I will see it again and maybe grasp a little bit more, but for now, sit tight, and EXPERIENCE "Interstellar" as soon as you can.
http://letterboxd.com/thebatdude/film/interstellar/
I have never visually perceived anything like this before, in my life.

Matthew McConaughey (Cooper) as a engineer forced to leave his family behind as he embarks through a wormhole across space to the far ends of our galaxy, in hopes of finding a new home for mankind away from a Earth that is rapidly depleted of it’s resources.

This is Nolan at his finest, stylized with a unique change in sound by composer (Zimmerman ‘Inception, The Dark Knight) who goes for a different choice which sound more along the lines of a church organ and visuals that gives Interstellar its eerie, mesmeric quality. After seeing this film I can’t help but think about how we all got started and where we ultimately may be going, the movie continues to intrigue and perplex in equal measures. With sophistication surpassing the likes of 2001: A Space Odyssey.

It’s a lot to take in really, as I write this I am still trying to gather my thoughts trying to make sense of what I saw. It was beautiful…

There were breathtaking effects, one in particular was pan shot showing the ship crossing the rings of Saturn which was literally mesmerizing. Effects aside for a moment this movie at its heart was about a Father making if not finding a better world for his daughter to live in. With such a epic scope it was refreshing to see that the screenplay did not take a backseat to elaborate special effects and wondrous feats.

Speaking of the script I can tell a lot of work was done to make some of the scenes feel more scientifically accurate and believable. The film holds merit to some of the ideologies we hold dear today and it definitely challenges you to ask questions like, “What’s out there?” “How much reach do we really have in this galaxy?”

The film never truly feels like a science fiction film but more along the lines of a humanistic stories of exploration and technology… In fact I suppose you can say the entire movie narrative relies on it. Moving on to direction, Nolan did not take the plunge and leave a lot of things open to interpretation this time around.

Performance wise, I’d say neck and neck the cards go to McConaughey (Cooper) and Hathaway (Brand). I was a bit caught by surprised by Jessica Chastain.
Her performance carried a lot of weight as did the supporting cast of many to boot, ranging from Michael Caine to John Lithgow was a nice touch oh and a surprise appearance that literally came out of left field for me and knocked me over the head let’s say “5” times. But will these performances be honored at the academy this season? Likely not, definitely a lot of technical awards nominations should be done, however. Editing, Sound, Visual Effects etc.

Okay my hands are shaking I need to stop praising this movie…. If I had to think of one negative… Hmm. I don’t believe the last 50 minutes are in any trailer… I did not recognize it so prepare for a surprise there… I don’t like surprises. Also I don’t like crying like a little baby after watching a movie, yet hear I am… Gotta say, I’m okay with it.

Closing thoughts, We’ve seen films set in outer space before, sure, but nothing has ever felt this real and ultimately all of Nolans efforts are there in service of McConaughey’s performance, and the resonant, human story it tells all the way to the last visual que and to the the last second.

antovolk wrote:Well looks like embargo has been broken:

Being officially the first person to review this on all of Letterboxd is daunting.

Yes, I saw the film. Yes I got tickets to an early screening. Yes I saw it in IMAX, and yes it was 70mm film.

It will be hard for everyone to be convinced that I did see the film, but for your own sake, let me not share anything about the plot that we don't already know, because why spoil anything here?

"Interstellar" is easily one of the most ambitious films I've ever seen. I still am thinking about it and running it through my mind, which is certainly a very good thing. But I've learned that a grand scale and the attempt to reach to other universes and dimensions...... doesn't always add up to a great film.

Where the film really suffers with me is the writing. To me, nothing is more important in a film than its story. It's everything. It's the deciding factor on whether or not we care about what is happening on screen.
I love love love being challenged by films, but when things - important developments that are crucial to the audience's understanding of the film- are glossed over, I simply can't fully get on board.

The film runs at 169 minutes. Make it 200-210 minutes, and then you have an excellent film.

Believe me. You do NOT feel the run time of this film (WHICH IS AWESOME). And it would have been lightyears better with a better understanding of the situation the Earth is in, BEFORE we go out into space. The film feels like it's in a RUSH, actually, and I was like WAIT NO! SLOW DOWN THIS IS IMPORTANT. And I still can't tell if all the information was there, but it was just covered so quickly..? or if the information wasn't there and you're just supposed to go with it. And believe me, you have to just accept a LOT of the information that you are told.

What a beautiful and transformative film. It's one of the most powerful and deeply felt films to hit the big screen in I don't know how long. The performances are all tremendous, specifically Mcconaughey and Mackenzie Foy. Because of the tremendous direction by Nolan, you still feel deeply for these characters because they are all richly realized and focused people. I sure did cry. No shame.

But all in all the film is rushed. That's my biggest complaint. It has so much going for it, and I just wanted to go back into that editing room and tweak a few things. It's so rushed that when you are supposed to feel tension in these really big intense moments!!.... all you feel is the seats trembling from the roaring Hans Zimmer score. And yes there is a mindfuck that I'm still thinking about. And it's a beautiful and fantastic one that I can't get out of my head for the life of me.

I guess the biggest positive I can give the film is that it is ultimately about LIFE and LOVE and all of its beauty, and I commend Nolan for making that its core, because there's nothing that we as humans should care more about.

I did go a bit critical with my review, to some. But it's truly how I feel. I didn't let the stunning visuals and dramatic manipulation win me over completely. On the 7th I will see it again and maybe grasp a little bit more, but for now, sit tight, and EXPERIENCE "Interstellar" as soon as you can.

Matthew McConaughey (Cooper) as a engineer forced to leave his family behind as he embarks through a wormhole across space to the far ends of our galaxy, in hopes of finding a new home for mankind away from a Earth that is rapidly depleted of it’s resources.

This is Nolan at his finest, stylized with a unique change in sound by composer (Zimmerman ‘Inception, The Dark Knight) who goes for a different choice which sound more along the lines of a church organ and visuals that gives Interstellar its eerie, mesmeric quality. After seeing this film I can’t help but think about how we all got started and where we ultimately may be going, the movie continues to intrigue and perplex in equal measures. With sophistication surpassing the likes of 2001: A Space Odyssey.

It’s a lot to take in really, as I write this I am still trying to gather my thoughts trying to make sense of what I saw. It was beautiful…

There were breathtaking effects, one in particular was pan shot showing the ship crossing the rings of Saturn which was literally mesmerizing. Effects aside for a moment this movie at its heart was about a Father making if not finding a better world for his daughter to live in. With such a epic scope it was refreshing to see that the screenplay did not take a backseat to elaborate special effects and wondrous feats.

Speaking of the script I can tell a lot of work was done to make some of the scenes feel more scientifically accurate and believable. The film holds merit to some of the ideologies we hold dear today and it definitely challenges you to ask questions like, “What’s out there?” “How much reach do we really have in this galaxy?”

The film never truly feels like a science fiction film but more along the lines of a humanistic stories of exploration and technology… In fact I suppose you can say the entire movie narrative relies on it. Moving on to direction, Nolan did not take the plunge and leave a lot of things open to interpretation this time around.

Performance wise, I’d say neck and neck the cards go to McConaughey (Cooper) and Hathaway (Brand). I was a bit caught by surprised by Jessica Chastain.
Her performance carried a lot of weight as did the supporting cast of many to boot, ranging from Michael Caine to John Lithgow was a nice touch oh and a surprise appearance that literally came out of left field for me and knocked me over the head let’s say “5” times. But will these performances be honored at the academy this season? Likely not, definitely a lot of technical awards nominations should be done, however. Editing, Sound, Visual Effects etc.

Okay my hands are shaking I need to stop praising this movie…. If I had to think of one negative… Hmm. I don’t believe the last 50 minutes are in any trailer… I did not recognize it so prepare for a surprise there… I don’t like surprises. Also I don’t like crying like a little baby after watching a movie, yet hear I am… Gotta say, I’m okay with it.

Closing thoughts, We’ve seen films set in outer space before, sure, but nothing has ever felt this real and ultimately all of Nolans efforts are there in service of McConaughey’s performance, and the resonant, human story it tells all the way to the last visual que and to the the last second.
Wow. I can't wait to see that last moment of the film!!

Reminder in prep for 23 HOURS FROM NOW
antovolk wrote:Pre-emptive but

antovolk wrote:Well looks like embargo has been broken:

That last review, SHIT YEAH

Another reminder. Reading reviews can shape your perspective, especially negative ones. In the midst of hundreds of positive reviews, a few negative ones can be an easy fixation and it can carry into your viewing experience. You'll start looking for things you might not normally care about or elements that might distract you from the experience. This happend to me a lot when I was younger and, I was hungry for every random Joe's opinion before seeing a movie. Going into to the theater free of that overhead and with a fresh mind is the best thing I ever did. Watch the movie, go back and read all the reviews, consider if you agree or disagree, and maybe watch the movie again. If this does not affect you, please disregard, I just wanted to throw this out there for members out there that I know will be consumed (in a bad way) by what will happen in the next 24 hours.

Vesh wrote:Another reminder. Reading reviews can shape your perspective, especially negative ones. In the midst of hundreds of positive reviews, a few negative ones can be an easy fixation and it can carry into your viewing experience. You'll start looking for things you might not normally care about or elements that might distract you from the experience. This happend to me a lot when I was younger and, I was hungry for every random Joe's opinion before seeing a movie. Going into to the theater free of that overhead and with a fresh mind is the best thing I ever did. Watch the movie, go back and read all the reviews, consider if you agree or disagree, and maybe watch the movie again. If this does not affect you, please disregard, I just wanted to throw this out there for members out there that I know will be consumed (in a bad way) by what will happen in the next 24 hours.
Agreed, good post

When will the Rotten Tomatoes Tomatometer start providing an early overall % on the film? Say, 25 - 50 reviews?

a hint to the coming review