Predict Rotten Tomatoes/IMDb scores

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
lcbaseball22 wrote:I also have to question how many look past the order of the rankings and actually survey what is on the Top 250 list overall; it's quite an impressive list with a lot of really good films! Nevermind the rankings or the fact that a number of new releases jump onto the list in such short time, as many do not remain there by next year. Yes there are a few suspect films on the list but it's not like the list is being over-run with a load of superhero or YA films like Twilight or even Hunger Games or Harry Potter.
Those films don't have the male appeal like most on the list. Twilight has as much haters to be on the list. Same with Transformers. Also, maybe there isn't a whole lot of superheroes movies, but there's definitely a fair amount of Marvel and Nolan's Batmans.
It's films like...

Boyhood
Gone Girl
Interstellar
12 Years a Slave
Her
A Separation
The Intouchables
Inception
Toy Story 3
The King's Speech
Shutter Island
Gran Torino
The Dark Knight
WALL-E
Even if I look past the rankings, some of these movies you mentioned wouldn't even be in my top 250. I would not put The King's Speech on my list. Gran Torino wouldn't even be in my top 500 despite me being an Eastwood fan (trust me, I know plenty of people who don't think it deserves to be on the list). I consider Shutter Island to be one of Scorsese's lesser films. I used to love it back when I saw it, but looking back, the twist was so obvious from the get-go just from the trailer alone. And I wouldn't even put Interstellar in the top 250 of this century, or even the decade, let alone of all time.

And while I haven't seen it, I also know plenty of people who don't like the fact that Intouchables is there. I can't say my opinion because I haven't seen it.
and the rest of the list consists of films such as...

The Shawshank Redemption
The Godfather
To Kill a Mockingbird
One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest
Raiders of the Lost Ark
It Happened One Night
Some Like It Hot
Psycho
Saving Private Ryan
Rear Window
Raging Bull
The Departed
Unforgiven
American Beauty
The Graduate
The Big Sleep
The Wizard of Oz
The Grapes of Wrath
Stand By Me
The Princess Bride
Touch of Evil
Diabolique (the Greatest Hitchcock film that Hitch never directed)
Platoon
A Beautiful Mind
Memento
American History X
Gone with the Wind
The Maltese Falcon
Good Will Hunting
On the Waterfront
Wild Strawberries
Chinatown
The Apartment
L.A. Confidential
Singin' in the Rain
Witness for the Prosecution
Double Indemnity
Vertigo
Okay, good point with the classics. But I wouldn't put Stand By Me and AHX even if they are great.
It's Hitchcock, Nolan, Kubrick, Scorsese, Spielberg, Wilder, Chaplin, Eastwood, Bergman, Cameron, Coens, Scott, Polanski, Coppola, Capra, Lumet, Wyler, Hawks, Ford, Welles and so on and so forth.

And yes even the cinephile 'holy grail' that is Citizen Kane is on the list, which imo was inexplicably crowned the title of "greatest movie ever made" for so long. I'm glad that Vertigo now holds this title.
Okay, again, good point. But you forgot Kurosawa. Also, there's Tartovsky, but he only has one film on the list.

It's hard to ignore the ranking anyway, because a lot of the classics you mentioned are rated too low (eg. Citizen Kane, 8 1/2, 2001, Lawrence of Arabia) and many are ranked too high (eg. most Nolan movies, The Matrix).

Nobody aside from you Nolan fans defend it. And I'm quite a Nolan fan myself, but I wouldn't give every of his films a 10 nor do I think he's flawless.

Just an FYI, Interstellar is down to 15 on IMDB's top 250.

Michaelf2225 wrote:Just an FYI, Interstellar is down to 15 on IMDB's top 250.
Uh oh.

The_Listener_Canon wrote: Nobody aside from you Nolan fans defend it. And I'm quite a Nolan fan myself, but I wouldn't give every of his films a 10 nor do I think he's flawless.
Who said I do either? These are ratings I've given

10 = Memento, Inception
9= Interstellar, The Prestige, The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises
8= Batman Begins, Insomnia, Following

I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that any one of his films is at least worthy of an 8 and there would be more distinguishing in the respective scores but IMDB doesn't allow for half star ratings so these are rounded. Truthfully I'd never actually rate any film a 10 if I used a 1 to 10 scale myself because to me a 10 implies that a film is flawless, which I believe to be a false statement no matter what the film in question, but Memento and Inception are like 9.7 and 9.5 respectively for me so they round up to a 10 for IMDB's system at least...