Interstellar Oscar Chances

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
Aili wrote:
I think the average age of Academy members is about 65 isn't it? Though you'd think people that age would love 2001, etc. So it's kind of weird. There is a big British voting bloc in the Academy which usually helps Brits slip through to get Oscars they might not have got them for otherwise (King's Speech, etc.). But this year there are two duelling Brit biopics about people with disabilities (Hawking + Turing) and another about a famous artist (Turner) so that's going to be a problem.

I think they like to vote for movies they think are about important topics (slavery, AIDS, etc.). They also love to vote for movies about actors (probably cause the majority of the Academy members are actors) The Artist and this year Birdman.
That's a shame, they could really use some younger members. The fact that the majority is above the age of 50 causes a slight bias in their nomination process. I understand that because they're older, it shows they have a lot of knowledge towards films that younger people may not, but it doesn't change the fact that a younger group of members could allow a different dimension and a better outlook towards the films.

Guarantee Sasha Stone gives Selma a RAVE review. It has pretty much everything she champions for: strong women and minorities.

Skyab23 wrote:Guarantee Sasha Stone gives Selma a RAVE review. It has pretty much everything she champions for: strong women and minorities.
She's already been pushing it before it even came out. She loved Duvernay's first film Middle of Nowhere and she will definitely be all over this.

bootsy wrote:
Skyab23 wrote:Guarantee Sasha Stone gives Selma a RAVE review. It has pretty much everything she champions for: strong women and minorities.
She's already been pushing it before it even came out. She loved Duvernay's first film Middle of Nowhere and she will definitely be all over this.
You wanna talk about preconceived notions, Sasha Stone has it in spades.

Skyab23 wrote:
bootsy wrote:
You wanna talk about preconceived notions, Sasha Stone has it in spades.
Yeah, she has been lobbying for this film and Angelina Jolie's film (though she hadn't seen either). Yawn. I'm all for women directors and minorities getting recognition, but when you do stuff like she does it's basically condescension.

Skyab23 wrote:
Yeah, she has been lobbying for this film and Angelina Jolie's film (though she hadn't seen either). Yawn. I'm all for women directors and minorities getting recognition, but when you do stuff like she does it's basically condescension.
I used to be a fan of her but she has become very annoying to me. Her podcasts and articles are nothing but whining and complaining about not enough recognition for women and minorities. Look I'm a black male and I appreciate it but she goes overboard into criticizing other movies, some really good because they don't have women or a female perspective somewhere in the movie. It's like enough already.

bootsy wrote:
Skyab23 wrote:
I used to be a fan of her but she has become very annoying to me. Her podcasts and articles are nothing but whining and complaining about not enough recognition for women and minorities. Look I'm a black male and I appreciate it but she goes overboard into criticizing other movies, some really good because they don't have women or a female perspective somewhere in the movie. It's like enough already.
Appreciate the perspective. Her strong opinion on 12 Years a Slave made me want to not even watch the film, as I felt it was going to be another iteration of what we've seen and been taught for years. Guess it goes to show you though, at least in my opinion, that regardless of the subject, if it's made well and resonates, it can really be effective. It was my favorite film of the year.

Skyab23 wrote:
Appreciate the perspective. Her strong opinion on 12 Years a Slave made me want to not even watch the film, as I felt it was going to be another iteration of what we've seen and been taught for years. Guess it goes to show you though, at least in my opinion, that regardless of the subject, if it's made well and resonates, it can really be effective. It was my favorite film of the year.
Mine too. I appreciate her doing that because she felt that even though the movie was getting it's well deserved recognition she wanted to give it that extra push. I just don't like the constant bashing over the head of it. Once is fine but over and over again is a drag.

bootsy wrote:
Skyab23 wrote:
This. She's lost credibility because she's so desperate in her attempts to paint nearly every Hollywood film as chauvenist and misogynist. Literally every blog article she posts ends up being about how there aren't enough women in film both in front of and behind the camera.

Also, she recently wrote that Jessica Chastain was really only the best thing in Interstellar, which is just a joke. Chastain was exceptional but to say she was the only good part of the film is embarrassingly stubborn. I don't visit her site anymore because I don't want to be constantly preached to. I want at least some objectivity.

Selma is absolutely killing it right now. Although Sasha's article is nauseating, the other reviews are spectacular. I think this is going to be Paramount's baby moving into awards season. Unfortunate for Interstellar, but I can never complain when good films are being made.