Interstellar Oscar Chances

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
MiracleSleeper2 wrote:If Interstellar does win either Best Picture or Best Director, what I'm most curious about is hearing Nolan's acceptance speech. I'd love to hear how he'd address that situation and his thoughts on the film, as well as winning the award.
I hope it is as concise as the Joe Pesci one

OFF:

I just find this video funny :lol:

Let's take a look at Metacritic scores for the past Best Picture winners:

2014: 12 Years a Slave- 97
2013: Argo- 86
2012: The Artist- 89
2011: The King's Speech- 88
2010: The Hurt Locker- 94
2009: Slumdog Millionaire- 86
2008: No Country For Old Men- 91
2007: The Departed- 86
2006: Crash- 69
2005: Million Dollar Baby- 86
2004: The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King- 94

Unfortunately it looks like if Interstellar is to have a shot at winning the ultimate prize the Metacritic score will have to be above 85 (the only exception in the last decade was Crash) and as I noted in the General thread Nolan's previous high is an 82 (The Dark Knight) so I'm mighty interested to see if Interstellar can break the 85 barrier if it truly is his best? Or elite 90+? That would be awesome 8-)

As for the as-yet-unseen films, it’s impossible to ignore the formidable presence of Unbroken and Interstellar. The former is an inspiring World War II story with a top-notch crew (script by the Coen brothers, Roger Deakins as cinematographer), and unless it’s just really bad I imagine it will land in the Best Picture race. And while critics have yet to see Interstellar, very early buzz is starting to leak out from filmmakers that have seen it (I’m looking at you, Edgar Wright), and their reactions are extremely positive. Inception landed in the Best Picture race four years ago, and Interstellar not only boasts positively epic visuals, but a seemingly strong emotional core anchored by Best Actor incumbent Matthew McConaughey. Coming off the massive success of Gravity at the Academy Awards last year, Interstellar feels like a very strong bet.
http://collider.com/oscars-best-picture ... 6QbbseL.99

lcbaseball22 wrote:Let's take a look at Metacritic scores for the past Best Picture winners:

2014: 12 Years a Slave- 97
2013: Argo- 86
2012: The Artist- 89
2011: The King's Speech- 88
2010: The Hurt Locker- 94
2009: Slumdog Millionaire- 86
2008: No Country For Old Men- 91
2007: The Departed- 86
2006: Crash- 69
2005: Million Dollar Baby- 86
2004: The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King- 94

Unfortunately it looks like if Interstellar is to have a shot at winning the ultimate prize the Metacritic score will have to be above 85 (the only exception in the last decade was Crash) and as I noted in the General thread Nolan's previous high is an 82 (The Dark Knight) so I'm mighty interested to see if Interstellar can break the 85 barrier if it truly is his best? Or elite 90+? That would be awesome 8-)
Doubt it. If TDK didn't even reach over 82 it seems unlikely.

Lots of mega-positive hype now. On a critical level it must be the highest buzz since TDK. Incpetion had lots of positive buzz too, but received a sort of mini-backlash when the people who hadn't attended the press screenings got to see the movie if I remember correctly.

Looks like all but 2 of the 20 some "experts" at Gold Derby have Interstellar on their lists. I wonder if a few of them have actually seen it because there are some professional critics in the mix there, such as Peter Travers. Only one has Interstellar placed as the ultimate front-runner but that happens to be one of the best Oscar predictors, Scott Feinberg. David Poland, another well known Oscar prognosticator has Interstellar in the #2 slot over at his Movie City News website's Gurus of Gold list, where a number of his peers have also ranked it highly :thumbup:

http://www.goldderby.com/awardshows/exp ... cture.html
http://moviecitynews.com/2014/10/gurus- ... -new-york/

Also from reading the latest posting on AwardsDaily, it seems pretty clear that Interstellar and Unbroken are the two big ? on everyone's mind right now...

So after looking over the current Metascores and BFCA scores as of this moment it seems the following are locks...

Boyhood- 100/96
Birdman- 86/96
Foxcatcher- 91/91
Grand Budapest Hotel- 88/87
Whiplash- 87/94

Mr. Turner and Inherent Vice are both doing well so far on Metacritic too but there's no BFCA scores to confirm above 85 on that nomination scale. Gone Girl, Imitation Game, and Theory of Everything are big ? because Metacritic they are only in the 70's but the BFCA rates them at 90, 89, and 91 so they are all in play. If any three of the aforementioned squeak in to the above list (and all of those truly are locks, Whiplash maybe not since it's more indie?) then we are looking at ONE slot left (maybe two, but 9 has been the consistent total since the voting rule change) for Interstellar, Unbroken, and Into the Woods to battle it out for. These are the 3 end of the year films that basically everyone is saying having the best prospects, but so far Interstellar is the only one anyone has actually seen far as I understand. Hmm...

Something is going to have to give...

Robbie Collin
‏@robbiereviews
In which, pointlessly and four months before anyone cares, I predict Interstellar as a Best Picture Oscar-winner:

The Academy doesn’t give its top award to science-fiction, but this year, with edginess and oddness pressing in on all sides, a history-making exception could be made for Christopher Nolan’s Interstellar. Strip out all the wormhole chat and stark Icelandic landscapes and Nolan’s film looks like a small-c conservative, character-driven melodrama: exactly the kind of thing voters love.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film ... ellar.html

Well before the approaching dawn of the embargo lifting and official reviews flooding in it certainly looks like all signs pointing to a strong case for Best Picture, but idk I'm not holding my breath...

Mainly because while Nolan has built an incredible track record there are preconceived notions about his work and every film has had at least a small group of very vocal detractors that have held his films down just enough. Not to mention the Academy has not completely warmed up to Nolan yet like the DGA has ever since he made Memento.

I think for Interstellar to be not just nominated but win it will have to change these past notions and perceptions of Nolan's filmmaking. The first hurdle is scoring at least 85 on Metacritic, the second is Nolan finally landing a Best Director nomination. If neither if these happens then the chances are slim. Unless Interstellar is Nolan's 'Crash'... (emotionally manipulative)

lcbaseball22 wrote: I think for Interstellar to be not just nominated but win it will have to change these past notions and perceptions of Nolan's filmmaking. The first hurdle is scoring at least 85 on Metacritic, the second is Nolan finally landing a Best Director nomination. If neither if these happens then the chances are slim. Unless Interstellar is Nolan's 'Crash'... (emotionally manipulative)
Not likely to happen when Rex Reed, Stephanie Zacharek, Anthony Lane, and David Edelstein all are publishing reviews there. With this kind of hype, partly fueled by the comparisons with 2001: A Space Odyssey, it has a snowball's chance in hell getting unanimous acclaim from the "high-brows". Not to mention how "uncool" it is to embrace something the most audiences will see and likely love.