Films that inspire Interstellar

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
Dune :o :o

Everyone's going for the highbrow choices, but Nolan is a huge fan of The Black Hole, so I'm sure that'll show up in this movie too

EnzoTheBaker wrote:Everyone's going for the highbrow choices, but Nolan is a huge fan of The Black Hole, so I'm sure that'll show up in this movie too
Indeed.

I'm joking... hopefully. Although, you never know with Nolan and his Bond infatuation ;)

I kinda like Moonraker though.

Insomniac wrote:Image
I'm joking... hopefully. Although, you never know with Nolan and his Bond infatuation ;)

I kinda like Moonraker though.
Well, if the movie stays close to the original script, there aren't a lot of other space sex scenes they can draw inspiration from!

It's not an inspiration by any mean , and without reading the script (which means i have zero idea of what might happen) , i think Gunbuster is a great suggestion to watch before Interstellar.

Gunbuster is an anime OVA series , by studio Gainax and the first work of Hideaki Anno (known for being the crazy dude who directed Evangelion a few years after). What does an Mecha vs Aliens in Space has do to with Interstellar ? One of the central plots of the show revolves around the concept of Time Dilation and its effects. Its not thrown around randomly , and it very much tries to be as realistically as possible. There's even mini-science lessons before each episode to explain what and how things happens. I dont want spoil anything , but the show plays a lot with the concept of time passing differently between relatives (and others) and the immense grief it generates. I haven't read Interstellar script but i imagine it might play some similar interactions.

It also has one of the greatest endings ever. Of anything.

Watch it. And dont worry about the first episode , which is kinda different from the rest.

From the description of the article about Interstellar in EMPIRE (http://www.empireonline.com/):
INTERSTELLAR INSPIRATION
Interstellar's biggest inspiration was – unsurprisingly – Stanley Kubrick's masterpiece 2001: A Space Odyssey, so what better time to revisit giant space babies? We've spoken to Dave (of "I'm afraid I can't do that" fame) himself, Keir Dullea, to find out what Kubrick was like on set, what famous shot was done in one take and why HAL was originally a cockney. Interstellar's second biggest inspiration was Philip Kaufman's neglected classic The Right Stuff, so we spoke to Kaufman too about what Nolan calls "an almost perfectly made film."

Interstellar main inspirations:
Memento
Inception
2001: a space odyssey
;)

Pual W. S. Anderson's film Event Horizon (the pen and paper explanation of a wormhole) and Connie Willis's novel Passage

2001 a space
i just saw it this past week i must say nolan used some shots from that movie
he was clearly influenced by that movie