Your Theories On What Might Happen

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
Posts: 1049
Joined: May 2013
MiracleSleeper2 wrote:
thegreypilgrim wrote:Well, you don't want anything spoilerific, but...
if the final product is anything like the 2008 draft, I think people will be surprised at how straightforward it all is. That isn't to say that there aren't some very "big" and unique ideas though.
Interesting. I'm honestly hoping for one of those mind=blown movies, they've always been a guilty pleasure of mine lol. Judging by what you read, should I expect that out of Interstellar?
Absolutely, but keep in mind that mind blowing does not necessarily require extreme complexity. It may seem an odd comparison, but to me, it's mind blowing in the way that something like The Shawshank Redemption is mind blowing, or yes, 2001, less than the way Inception was. The scenario, the sequence of events, is straightforward (relatively). The execution of it all, the intertwining of the characters' stories and their legacies, the sheer emotional weight, and the extreme relevance of the story is what will blow minds. Does that make any sense? It's tough to describe. And obviously, who knows what the final film will be like compared to all of this. But I think there's a good chance it won't change too much.

Posts: 1049
Joined: May 2013
MiracleSleeper2 wrote: As long as this movie is:

-Entertaining
-Emotional
-Inspirational
-Thought Provoking

Then I'm good with what ever has in store for us.

I am quite sure you will not be let down in any of those categories. =)

Posts: 2554
Joined: July 2013
thegreypilgrim wrote:
MiracleSleeper2 wrote: As long as this movie is:

-Entertaining
-Emotional
-Inspirational
-Thought Provoking

Then I'm good with what ever has in store for us.

I am quite sure you will not be let down in any of those categories. =)
Thweet.

Posts: 3955
Joined: May 2014
Location: [insert non-spoilery location here, that wasn't a spoiler to begin with]
Cooper completes the mission, but gets back much much later on Earth relative to how long he was gone. His kids are now elderly and on their deathbeds while Cooper is still only forty-ish years old.

Posts: 30
Joined: December 2013
I've read the script and the story is Amazing. I love it and I know with the tone of the trailer that its going to be an awesome ride if anything like the original draft. :gonf:

Posts: 2554
Joined: July 2013
thbluejaguar wrote:I've read the script and the story is Amazing. I love it and I know with the tone of the trailer that its going to be an awesome ride if anything like the original draft. :gonf:
Your avi doesn't really match your username though...

Posts: 836
Joined: January 2014
I'm going to hasard a guess at how Cooper is portrayed in the film.
I read the script but can't say a lot jumped off the page other than that he was the "stock hero". Seeing the trailer, I think he'll be portrayed as a shy man, somebody who has been very isolated from society except for his children, very in touch with his feminine (passive?) side as he has had to play both father and mother to his children, marginalized, who maybe has lost confidence in himself through lack of opportunity and bad luck. Somebody who isn't at ease with intellectuals (the scene where he is wringing his hands while David Oyelowo talks to him) and shyly tries to put forward his qualifications as an engineer. Somebody who has to overcome enormous reticence and maybe humiliation to achieve the objective Michael Caine has set for him. That for me is a more interesting trajectory than the superhero who does super-stuff. A man who must fight his own shy nature and his fear.

Posts: 8136
Joined: May 2014
Aili wrote:I'm going to hasard a guess at how Cooper is portrayed in the film.
I read the script but can't say a lot jumped off the page other than that he was the "stock hero". Seeing the trailer, I think he'll be portrayed as a shy man, somebody who has been very isolated from society except for his children, very in touch with his feminine (passive?) side as he has had to play both father and mother to his children, marginalized, who maybe has lost confidence in himself through lack of opportunity and bad luck. Somebody who isn't at ease with intellectuals (the scene where he is wringing his hands while David Oyelowo talks to him) and shyly tries to put forward his qualifications as an engineer. Somebody who has to overcome enormous reticence and maybe humiliation to achieve the objective Michael Caine has set for him. That for me is a more interesting trajectory than the superhero who does super-stuff. A man who must fight his own shy nature and his fear.
Very interesting post. I really like the way you thought and I think it's right. Besides, Nolan chose McConaughey because he wanted an everyman, not a superhero. ;)

Posts: 497
Joined: March 2014
I read the Script:
It's Better than Inception.
-Trust the Fox

Posts: 1049
Joined: May 2013
On every level.

Post Reply