Interstellar Box Office Predictions

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
Hollywood Reporter seems pretty confident in their projections:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/b ... ire-747517

They've been dead wrong plenty of times in the past and I hope they are this weekend. I think it's quite possible they are overestimating Dumb & Dumber.

I know Dumb and Dumber is a first weekend release and I'll admit I liked the original when I was a kid, but I have no intention of seeing the sequel and if it makes more than Interstellar this weekend, well I don't know what to say about America :blank: God help us...

Variety is saying $29m for Interstellar. That would be a 39% drop, which would be great.

As long as Interstellar makes up it's budget with domestic numbers everything should be fine.

Interstellar was definitely not promoted well.
Everytime I see a friend I rave about the movie to them and they don't even know the movie exists :(

lol what if this doesn't make up it's budget

WB can kiss their idol goodbye

Cilogy wrote:lol what if this doesn't make up it's budget

Nolan will finally go back to making small budget films that won't be called overrated.

MeLVaNoaTe wrote:
Cilogy wrote:lol what if this doesn't make up it's budget

Nolan will finally go back to making small budget films that won't be called overrated.
and he might even win an academy award for best movie, or even best director!
imagine the possibilities!

In my mind, two things were overestimated with regards to Interstellar's projections: Christopher Nolan's name recognition and Matthew McC's box office draw.

Addicted2Movies wrote:In my mind, two things were overestimated with regards to Interstellar's projections: Christopher Nolan's name recognition and Matthew McC's box office draw.
The international box office is through the roof. Those two factors should have had a negative effect there too, but they didn't.

I think the blame lies mainly with the studio allowing a bunch of shitty little bloggers to control the spin on the movie and publish their reviews before the big reviewers weighed in. If the biggest and most influential reviewers had weighed in first (and Variety, HR, NY Times, LA Times, Time, Rolling Stone were all super positive), no little blogger is going to start trashing the move for fear of looking like he or she just didn't get it.

AND opening the same weekend as a big cartoon. Interstellar is being marketed as a family movie. It shouldn't have opened the same weekend as another family movie. When a movie doesn't open at No. 1 (and plenty of movies open at No. 1 and don't get anything like the numbers Interstellar did), there's a psychological effect: "oh, it got beaten at the box office, it's a loser". Paramount made big mistakes. Warner's seems to be doing a much better job internationally.

But I think that Interstellar itself is a problem: Chris Nolan may think he's making a family movie, but the movies that make the most money do so cause they appeal to teenage boys. And NO teenage boy wants to go to a movie that's going to make him cry in front of his friends. They're too immature for a movie like Interstellar. And most people are dumb. Interstellar's too complicated for them. I don't know about other parts of the world, but I've lived in Europe enough to know Europeans 1) are better educated than Americans (and I'm an American so don't start on me) and 2) European guys don't have all the hang-ups American guys (well teenagers) do about being "cool" and not showing emotion.