Hoyte van Hoytema as Director of Photography

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
Pfister peaked in inception.that was breathtaking however i wasn't so impressed
with tdkr .it was just okay.hoyte killed it in interstellar. But credit should also go to those vfx guys .the same guys did the visual effects for inception

Hoytema>Pfister

Well Hoytema did good solid work overall, but there are no any outstanding shots out of space for me (moreover space shots It is credit to CGI guys mostly). Wally easily provided 3-5 shots burning into memory... Thoughts?

m4st4 wrote:
Hoytema>Pfister
Agreed. :twothumbsup:

m4st4 wrote:
Hoytema>Pfister
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Is this a joke?

MeLVaNoaTe wrote:
m4st4 wrote:
Hoytema>Pfister
Is this a joke?
Seriously.
Pfister - static camera and he did films some stone statue. Hoytema much more dynamic and more interesting angles. Pfister great, but Hoytema much more interesting. Let Nolan will work together with Hoytema.

MeLVaNoaTe wrote:
m4st4 wrote:
Hoytema>Pfister
Is this a joke?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Is+this+a+joke%3F

Hoytema's cinematography looks robust and mature compared to Pfister's: Let the Right One In, Tinker, Taylor, Her and now Interstellar; that being said Wally did more than good working with Chris, iconic imagery in pretty much every film he did.

MeLVaNoaTe wrote:
m4st4 wrote:
Hoytema>Pfister
Is this a joke?
The fuck you laughing at? Hoyte is one of the most acclaimed upcoming cinematographers and he's done plenty of work outside of Interstellar and proven before working with Nolan that he has a very unique style. Most or his recent films look as good at least as Wally's past work with Nolan, and a solid argument can be made for either of them being preferred over the other. You can like Wally better but don't be a dick about it and don't pretend the Wally is the best cinematography ever. He's not Deakins, or Hall, or Storaro.

Hoytey has that Lubezki hype now. I really did love his work on this film but of course, Pfister did some spectacular work with Nolan. Someone described Hoytey's work as 'mature', I can't explain why but it seems appropriate. Very vaguely- darker scenes and scenes with considerable contrast worked very effectively for me. Hi-five to the VFX ad Production Design teams too.

The dream's over Pfistmeister

Vader182 wrote:
Cop 223 wrote:I feel this thread needs a bump.

Individuals who are learned in the art, craft and science of cinematography should start having a nice discussion about Hoytey's contribution to the film in detail. Admittedly, I am not one of those individuals. So anyone, whatever.

While Nolan retains some of his regular visual characteristics, this film was a different visual experience. Hoytey is a real star- this is evident in his previous work and Interstellar is another worthwhile addition to his resume.

So, what does Hoytey add? How much does he differ from the Pfistmeister? How has Nolan's style changed from his previous works? Would you have preferred Pfister on this film? Should he keep working with Hoyte van Hoytema on his future films?
Keegan's seeing this tomorrow (in digital IMAX, however- the heathen). He'll chime in with more substantial things to say than I, or most people here, probably can.

-Vader
Oh.

Hoytema seems to have a more aggressively cinematic style, which was clear even before Interstellar. He loves himself some warm skin tones and nice contrast play (if this sounds sexual, good), which I think blended with this movie more than Pfister's usually neutral, naturally lit style. I'm not sure I'd say he's "better" than Wally, but he seems to be a nice switch up for Nolan, and I'd love to see them work together again.