Hoyte van Hoytema as Director of Photography

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
I know it is probably blasphemy to say this here, but personally I love his work even more than Wally's. And if he stays for Nolan I'm more than certain he is gonna be a big new favorite here too. He is that great at his best.

Durden wrote: Hoytema is a talent though, and could prove me wrong.
I have faith that he will. Not saying that he's a step up from Wally either, he's just very talented, and different. Nolan will use him effectively. This DOES give us a bit of a clue into the style of the film.

Nolan must have really enjoyed TTSS. It was his favourite 2011 movie if I'm not mistaken. I loved the cinematography on that movie so I'm fine with this.

If this is Nolan's choice, well then, I'm excited.
"It doesn't matter how you get knocked down in life because that's going to happen. All that matters is you gotta get up."

Wow, didn't even think of Hoyt!

I'm so happy! Let the Right One In is in my top 10 and Tinker Tailor top 20. Visually they are beyond stunning. And I loved The Fighter, amazing choice. Will bring a very interesting aspect to the film.

:goNF:

Durden wrote:
Peace wrote:Nolan knows what he wants and he knows who to get for it.

I don't want to hear who it's a fucking step down.
:facepalm: :facepalm:

You are way to sensitive, and I will say its a step down if I want. That's how much I love Wally, and admire his work. Hoytema is a talent though, and could prove me wrong.
It's just dumb to have that outlook IMO. Going into this film I'm in no why thinking a step down. It's just going to be different. Wally is my fav DP by the way..

You will be proven wrong anyway :lol:
Say Girl

Peace wrote:
Durden wrote: :facepalm: :facepalm:

You are way to sensitive, and I will say its a step down if I want. That's how much I love Wally, and admire his work. Hoytema is a talent though, and could prove me wrong.
It's just dumb to have that outlook IMO. Going into this film I'm in no why thinking a step down. It's just going to be different. Wally is my fav DP by the way..

What are you talking about? Not everyone has equal skill, so if he replaces Wally with someone with less skill, it's by definition a step down.

That said, TTSS/LtROI are compositionally lyrical and nearly perfected, the former with quite a few complex camera moves. The Fighter has a number of extremely complex camera moves as well, showing Hoyte's clearly an incredible talent with a wide range of skills, seemingly hugely successful at both handheld and meticulously constructed images. Nolan loves both, often at the same time.

This is wonderful news, and I'm sure Nolan had his pick from a wide range of DP's, so whatever reasons behind choosing Hoyte I'm sure were wise ones, and I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't touch on some of them.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
Peace wrote:

What are you talking about? Not everyone has equal skill, so if he replaces Wally with someone with less skill, it's by definition a step down.

That said, TTSS/LtROI are compositionally lyrical and nearly perfected, the former with quite a few complex camera moves. The Fighter has a number of extremely complex camera moves as well, showing Hoyte's clearly an incredible talent with a wide range of skills, seemingly hugely successful at both handheld and meticulously constructed images. Nolan loves both, often at the same time.

This is wonderful news, and I'm sure Nolan had his pick from a wide range of DP's, so whatever reasons behind choosing Hoyte I'm sure were wise ones, and I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't touch on some of them.

-Vader
Shit I'm sick of this site. I type out a thoughtful response explaining my comment and it just gets fucking deleted :roll:

Anyway yeah people have different skills. What I'm saying is I trust Nolan to find someone who is compatible with his needs as a filmmaker. Why go into it thinking it's going to be a step down?

It's going to be different. That's all I really know for sure.
Say Girl

What seems to be important for Nolan is developing a relationship with the folks who work for him. Even if Hoyte isn't as amazing as some of the current greats, he's still proven himself and at the end of the day all we need is someone who is essentially an extension of Nolan himself.
If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.

vignale wrote:
ComptonTerry wrote:Yeah I would really be interested to see Cronenweth and Nolan work together. Cronenweth is a top 3 choice for me.
agreed.
but I bet Nolan would go after someone with, let's say European flair. Dunno, Alwin H. Kuchler?
or Hoyte Van Hoytema as mentioned already.

/end of offtopic :silent:
my second choice, but I nailed it a year ago 8-)