Matthew McConaughey as Cooper

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
BrashMontgom wrote:
cooldued wrote:I don't think this has been posted yet but McConaughey briefly mentions Nolan and Interstellar.

I found it Interesting that he called Interstellar a major blockbuster. I wonder is it on the level of inception big or possibly even more grandiose than that? :think:

Source: http://www.startribune.com/entertainmen ... ml?refer=y

Seriously? You thought this film would be anything but a blockbuster? :crazy:
No i'd always figured the film would be a blockbuster but I was noting that i'm curious on how BIG of a blockbuster the film will be.

Exclusive: Matthew McConaughey Talks The Scope of Interstellar
Little is known about the upcoming Christopher Nolan film Interstellar, but the logline floating around is simply that it will "depict a heroic interstellar voyage to the furthest reaches of our scientific understanding." We spoke today with the film's lead actor Matthew McConaughey about preparing for the film, and while his answer may not seem very informative to some, it does offer quite a bit of insight into the large scope of Interstellar.

ComingSoon.net: As a huge fan of "Contact," I was thrilled to learn you were going to lead "Intersteller." Did your experience with Carl Sagan act as a primer for the crazy astrophysics theories of Kip Thorne? (Interstellar's origins came from Kip Thorne's theories on wormholes and time travel.)

Matthew McConaughey: "I don't know because I really haven't dug down and got into it, but the one one-liner I got out of the 'Contact' experience –and three hours I got to spend with Carl Sagan- was 'God's backyard is a lot bigger than I thought.' I always used to say, 'I'd rather be a sailor than an astronaut,' because if you go over the same land that man has gone over before it's still the first time because its through your eyes the first time. This is… you're talking about astronaut stuff, you're talking about galaxies, you're talking about new frontiers completely. First time by ANY man stuff.

"That is much more of an aspect I can realize and get my head around, but it doesn't seem that far. It's that same thing when you're a kid, your neighborhood is as far as you can go. Then you grow older it's your county, your city, your state, your nation and then all of a sudden continents become part of your backyard. Then as you get older you go, 'Well the moon's just a chip shot away too.' Then you wonder what's in our solar system, it's just one solar system. How many solar systems make up the universe. How many universes are there. Its an idea I can't scientifically lay out to you, but it started off when Galileo said, 'The world's not flat.' Then the other man went, 'Yes it is!'

"It's very interesting, I've met people in the last year that walk this Earth that argued with me that the world is still flat. I've met some people when I was in Africa and I had a wonderful discussion with them. In 2010 to be in an African desert having a conversation with some men laughing at you saying if you walk that way a long, long, long, long time you'll come up over here, they thought that was the funniest joke in the world. They were like, 'If you walk that way a long time you go boom, bye bye, fall off.'"

Directed and written by Nolan, Interstellar is based on a script by Jonathan Nolan. The film will be produced by Emma Thomas and Christopher Nolan of Syncopy Films and Obst of Lynda Obst Productions. Kip Thorne will executive produce. McConaughey will lead the cast along with Anne Hathaway. The movie hits theaters and IMAX on November 7.
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=103292

I really love it how serious he's become about acting and this opportunity to work with Mr. Nolan. Sounds like it's going to be mindbending, judging from Matt's response! :tooexcited:
Queen Bitch

He gives an amazing performance in Mud. Dude can act.

dis gon b gud
Sigs???

cooldued wrote:
BrashMontgom wrote:

Seriously? You thought this film would be anything but a blockbuster? :crazy:
No i'd always figured the film would be a blockbuster but I was noting that i'm curious on how BIG of a blockbuster the film will be.
Without trying to sound ridiculous, couldn't Nolan pretty much get as big of a budget as pretty much anything out there right now? Look at how well Inception did without being a major entry into an established series, comic book movie, etc.

PowerDump wrote:
cooldued wrote:
Without trying to sound ridiculous, couldn't Nolan pretty much get as big of a budget as pretty much anything out there right now? Look at how well Inception did without being a major entry into an established series, comic book movie, etc.
I don't know about that I don't think even Nolan has complete freedom and an unlimited budget. From the short synopsis I read this sounds even more riskier than Inception.

Nolan has free hands with Interstellar, as he had with Inception.

Guys, do you really think Nolan won't have enough power and influence to do whatever he wants? Easily he is the director with most power inside the studio system.

Just look his fellow directors like Fincher (he had to fought against Par and WB for the final cuts of Zodiac and Benjamin Button), Cuaron (he wanted ScarJo for Gravity, but WB insisted with Sandra Bullock for the role), del Toro (the 3-D post conversion for Pacific Rim), Raimi (he doens't have the final cut privilege) and hell, even Alexander Payne, who works in a smaller scale than all the mentioned above, he clashed with Paramount for the casting and B&W shooting of his next film, to the point he gave up with shooting with film (he had used film for his other movies, but this time he used the Arri Alexa), a smaller budget and maybe his final cut privilege.

Nolan, on the other hand, doesn't have to fight for the use of film or the budget, he can cast whoever he wants (Chastain has never been in a blockbuster before, and the only blockbuster MM has done was a box-office bomb), doesn't have to bother with test screenings, unlike del Toro or Payne, or even the 3D thing. He has all the privileges a director can have, (even for the awards season's FYC ads) and he really deserves those privileges.