Nolan's most CGI heavy movie?

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
i'd bet that the majority of filming will take place in Cardington, but open landscapes throughout the world will be used as any sort of foreign environment they encounter. i think Nolan will take it upon himself to make a space movie with about as much CGI as an indie romcom

I'm a John G wrote:i'd bet that the majority of filming will take place in Cardington, but open landscapes throughout the world will be used as any sort of foreign environment they encounter. i think Nolan will take it upon himself to make a space movie with about as much CGI as an indie romcom
:clap:
Say Girl

Peace wrote:
Octaviana wrote:No, they're actually going to space and Nolan will be directing in a suit, actually :lol:
Better then an Oscar. The first director in space. In your face james :-D

I love this thread already! haha :thumbup:

Seems like Nolan is using more and more CGI as he goes along. Of course the story's have gotten bigger. I would say Inception is the heaviest, but TDKR is pretty heavy too. I wouldn't be surprised if he used as much or more CGI in Interstellar.

I could see him using miniatures and models with CGI, hes been doing that for while now.

Z. Cobb wrote:2001 wasn't CGi heavy... I reckon he'll guide his SFX team to Douglas Trumball to get advice.
2001 is a good point too.

I think Nolan only likes to use CGI when it's necessary for that more authentic feel

Mr.Turnpike wrote:
I could see him using miniatures and models with CGI, hes been doing that for while now.
Yep Totally, He'll probably get a team to build some enormous miniatures :-D :-D and then add some touches on the computers to give the authentic feel.

I remember him saying (I paraphrase) "that he likes to give the VFX team something to go by so that when they are in the effects room, they are not building from scratch."

Z. Cobb wrote:
Mr.Turnpike wrote:
Yep Totally, He'll probably get a team to build some enormous miniatures :-D :-D and then add some touches on the computers to give the authentic feel.

I remember him saying (I paraphrase) "that he likes to give the VFX team something to go by so that when they are in the effects room, they are not building from scratch."

Right on! I'm pretty sure I've heard him say something like that before. It might have been one of the featurettes from the dark knight rises. I do remember watching one in particular about the prologue. A really amazing sequence. I need to watch it again. I believe they used a miniature some parts, mixed CGI, and even a sets of the interior that could be rolled and rocked as well as carried by helicopter. I think it is so amazing how it's all put together, the fact that someone thinks it up and then it gets executed like it did. Just wow, you know?!

Given that Nolan is usually averse to CGI, and given the seemingly high special effects driven nature of this movie, it'll be interesting to see if he goes for miniatures or switches to CGI like Lucas did with Star Wars or goes for a combination of the two as he has done in the past. Again how much of which component he uses remains to be seen

KrazzyDJ wrote:Given that Nolan is usually averse to CGI, and given the seemingly high special effects driven nature of this movie, it'll be interesting to see if he goes for miniatures or switches to CGI like Lucas did with Star Wars or goes for a combination of the two as he has done in the past. Again how much of which component he uses remains to be seen

Very True, Hopefully (which I really don't think he will) he won't go trigger happy with CGI like Lucas did. Even though CGI has advanced a lot since Episode One and even the rest of that trilogy. I always felt like he tried to do to much. Not to knock the environments and the space battles, some of the creatures always were kinda nah for me. (But that's just my opinion, I still appreciate what Lucas did with Star wars, always will)

KrazzyDJ wrote:Given that Nolan is usually averse to CGI, and given the seemingly high special effects driven nature of this movie, it'll be interesting to see if he goes for miniatures or switches to CGI like Lucas did with Star Wars or goes for a combination of the two as he has done in the past. Again how much of which component he uses remains to be seen
And I think he's done wonders with minatures. There were some shots in TDKR and Inception that were miniatures but didn't look like it, they worked into the film seamlessly.
If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.

I'd like a sort of 2001 vibe, or something like they made the VFX like that. Nolan likes Kubrick so... :P

Very curious at how he's going to handle this.
What are you looking at?