Interstellar Fan Art

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
antovolk wrote:Image
:twothumbsup:

This fan made trailer is pretty cool (I didn't make this). :gonf:

Is "literary fan art" that isn't fan-fiction acceptable? Back when Trailer 3 dropped and I was on an emotional high from the hype, I tried to explain to my family why in world I was so excited. I found that I couldn't quite explain it on the spot, so that night I sat down and tried my best to put it into words. It ended up being more than I intended: it turned out to be a mini-essay on why I'm going into aerospace as much as it was about why I'm hyped for the film. I thought some people here might like it; unedited results below.

~ ~ ~

To me, space travel isn't just a nerdy enterprise of rockets and planets and neat facts. It isn't just a convenient way to apply my skills. It isn't just something relevant to my major. No - all those things may be true, but space travel is something much more special to me.

The universe is incomprehensibly vast, and unimaginably beautiful. Stars harboring exotic diamonds in their cores, planets enshrined by glistening rings, explosions so powerful they knock galaxies out of their way, and voids bigger than a million solar systems that are so bizarre that modern physics has no idea what's inside them. Stare into the blazing light of a star and you'll find dancing pillars of incandescent plasma as tall as a hundred Earths. Gaze into the darkness of the intergalactic void and you'll find a hundred thousand galaxies twinkling against the inky blackness. Everywhere you look, you are met with beauty the likes of which you could never dream of - the fingerprints of the Creator Himself.

From this perspective, humanity's ventures into space suddenly become much more profound and awe-inspiring. By advancing our technology beyond what we thought possible, by pushing our bodies past their perceived limits, by reaching for worlds we once thought forever untouchable, we can "slip the surly bonds of Earth to touch the face of God." We can discover how unique and fragile our home planet really is. We can finally see with our own eyes mankind's place in the universe, "on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam." We can be humbled in front of the vastness of creation itself - and maybe, dare I say it, even glimpse the Original Design.

Look at everything mankind has accomplished despite all our flaws and shortcomings. Imagine what glorious triumphs await if we banded together with the stars themselves as our destination!

But you would never understand any of this from your average space flick. Space is almost always just a setting; a conveniently cool-looking place to put a plot into. The reality of what our universe is like is shoved aside in favor of worn-out tropes and cliches in hopes of box-office sales. The average person has no idea of the wondrous expanse that begins just a hundred kilometers above their heads.

But sometimes, rarely, a film will come along that gets it right. A film that shows the cosmos in all its glory and splendor. A film that interweaves this with a human tale of triumph and tragedy, that shows the complexity & danger of the journey and the bravery of those who dare undertake it. A film that displays the emotional impact this journey has on us and how it changes our perspective of the world and our place in it. These films are few and far between.

Voyage to the Planets and Beyond* was one of them. Based on everything I've seen, I have full confidence that INTERSTELLAR​ will be another.

* My #1 favorite film for over a decade, and a must-see for any hard-sci-fi fan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPBjG_2z_Ak

So, am I too hyped for INTERSTELLAR?... maybe. But it's a risk I'm willing to take. :gonf:

stoifics42 wrote:Is "literary fan art" that isn't fan-fiction acceptable? Back when Trailer 3 dropped and I was on an emotional high from the hype, I tried to explain to my family why in world I was so excited. I found that I couldn't quite explain it on the spot, so that night I sat down and tried my best to put it into words. It ended up being more than I intended: it turned out to be a mini-essay on why I'm going into aerospace as much as it was about why I'm hyped for the film. I thought some people here might like it; unedited results below.

~ ~ ~

To me, space travel isn't just a nerdy enterprise of rockets and planets and neat facts. It isn't just a convenient way to apply my skills. It isn't just something relevant to my major. No - all those things may be true, but space travel is something much more special to me.

The universe is incomprehensibly vast, and unimaginably beautiful. Stars harboring exotic diamonds in their cores, planets enshrined by glistening rings, explosions so powerful they knock galaxies out of their way, and voids bigger than a million solar systems that are so bizarre that modern physics has no idea what's inside them. Stare into the blazing light of a star and you'll find dancing pillars of incandescent plasma as tall as a hundred Earths. Gaze into the darkness of the intergalactic void and you'll find a hundred thousand galaxies twinkling against the inky blackness. Everywhere you look, you are met with beauty the likes of which you could never dream of - the fingerprints of the Creator Himself.

From this perspective, humanity's ventures into space suddenly become much more profound and awe-inspiring. By advancing our technology beyond what we thought possible, by pushing our bodies past their perceived limits, by reaching for worlds we once thought forever untouchable, we can "slip the surly bonds of Earth to touch the face of God." We can discover how unique and fragile our home planet really is. We can finally see with our own eyes mankind's place in the universe, "on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam." We can be humbled in front of the vastness of creation itself - and maybe, dare I say it, even glimpse the Original Design.

Look at everything mankind has accomplished despite all our flaws and shortcomings. Imagine what glorious triumphs await if we banded together with the stars themselves as our destination!

But you would never understand any of this from your average space flick. Space is almost always just a setting; a conveniently cool-looking place to put a plot into. The reality of what our universe is like is shoved aside in favor of worn-out tropes and cliches in hopes of box-office sales. The average person has no idea of the wondrous expanse that begins just a hundred kilometers above their heads.

But sometimes, rarely, a film will come along that gets it right. A film that shows the cosmos in all its glory and splendor. A film that interweaves this with a human tale of triumph and tragedy, that shows the complexity & danger of the journey and the bravery of those who dare undertake it. A film that displays the emotional impact this journey has on us and how it changes our perspective of the world and our place in it. These films are few and far between.

Voyage to the Planets and Beyond* was one of them. Based on everything I've seen, I have full confidence that INTERSTELLAR​ will be another.

* My #1 favorite film for over a decade, and a must-see for any hard-sci-fi fan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPBjG_2z_Ak

So, am I too hyped for INTERSTELLAR?... maybe. But it's a risk I'm willing to take. :gonf:

Dude, that was beautiful. Stay hyped, stay excited! :gonf:

music is just something i dabble in now and then in my little home studio, but I recently got inspired from trailer 3 and the music used, so began to create an ever building piece leading to seemingly nothing, deadly silence like Nolan said he uses within the movie. it should be in the same key too (d minor i think), ironically the scale Hans tends to use. all sounds were built on virtual instruments too so mind the bland sounding instrumentation.

https://soundcloud.com/lewisorbit/penumbra-1/s-7sgtf

unfortunately i'm still not very proficient in music, would love it to be something i progress with.

elemunt wrote:music is just something i dabble in now and then in my little home studio, but I recently got inspired from trailer 3 and the music used, so began to create an ever building piece leading to seemingly nothing, deadly silence like Nolan said he uses within the movie. it should be in the same key too (d minor i think), ironically the scale Hans tends to use. all sounds were built on virtual instruments too so mind the bland sounding instrumentation.

unfortunately i'm still not very proficient in music, would love it to be something i progress with.
That was awesome! :twothumbsup: I loved the atmosphere you created with it. Really something else.

MiracleSleeper2 wrote:
elemunt wrote:music is just something i dabble in now and then in my little home studio, but I recently got inspired from trailer 3 and the music used, so began to create an ever building piece leading to seemingly nothing, deadly silence like Nolan said he uses within the movie. it should be in the same key too (d minor i think), ironically the scale Hans tends to use. all sounds were built on virtual instruments too so mind the bland sounding instrumentation.

That was awesome! :twothumbsup: I loved the atmosphere you created with it. Really something else.
Agreed, that was quite good. I've now listened to it three times straight and finally downloaded it. Good stuff elemunt.

Well I'm impressed.

Impressive. Sounds like a mix of Tron Legacy, Man of Steel and a little Inception (which is good, seeing as Zimmer worked on all 3)