Interstellar GIFS

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
stoifics42 wrote:
JonnyM93 wrote:
stoifics42 wrote:Image
What's your scientific point of view on this? As in, is it possible to be that close? Or what are the effects of that?
As far as I can tell, it's as accurate as it is beautiful. The black hole is massive enough that they won't be ripped apart by tidal forces, and the accretion disk as a whole seems small & thinly-spread enough that it probably isn't emitting ionizing radiation (sometimes infalling debris can be heated so intensely it starts giving off X-rays, yikes!). Their trajectory takes them just above the disk itself to make sure they won't hit anything. We saw earlier that the ship starts out quite a ways away from the black hole, so a trajectory change that would take them that close should be within Endurance's capabilities. Getting far away again won't be a problem, as their momentum from falling in will carry them out the other side (as long as they never cross the event horizon, which brings certain death).

The most important thing to note is that now they're within 1 Schwarzschild radius of the event horizon: they're finally close enough to experience the extreme time dilation necessary to leap decades forward in time relative to Earth. We're not just watching the ship sailing above the glowing accretion disk, we're watching the crew being flung into an uncertain future.

As always, these are just educated guesses and could be wrong.
That's fascinating. But there is a deeper meaning for this black-hole:

The black-hole and its spinning accretion disk represents a Giant spinning top which will determine whether Cooper makes it back to Earth in time to see his children similar to how Cobb had to spin his own spinning top in Inception to determine whether he was back to reality.

From Inception to Spaception (Interstellar)

The planet Saturn (top-like again) is chosen represented by the Greek God of Agriculture (Cronus) & The Greek God of Time (Chronos). The story of (Saturn) Cronus eating his children was also interpreted as an allegory to a specific aspect of time held within Cronus' sphere of influence.

So as we all know Cooper is racing against Time to save mankind & his own children on Earth from being devoured by 'the passing of time'.

:gonf: :gonf: :gonf:
Last edited by nolan_fanatic on October 7th, 2014, 2:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Who's the person with Brand here? Coop? Obama? My cat's neighbor?

Ruth wrote:Image
Jason Bourne... IN SPACE!!!!

Ericmase wrote:
Jason Bourne... IN SPACE!!!!
fuuuuuuuu-

I was hoping for a serious answer :cry:
No seriously. In the trailer she seemd quite cozy with that Romilly guy, so I wonder whether that was him, whether it was a red herring and there's a different person, or if it's not romantic at all lol.

Maybe it's me?)
Seriously
I think this could be a Cooper. Maybe he became ill. Or Matt Damon. The idea that he is the husband of Amelia, which was the first expedition, not bad. I don't believe that something can be Romilly. This is a trick in the third trailer. And if something was, in that moment he dies. So I think Cooper, Doyle or Damon. My opinion.

Interstellar wrote:Image
DAMN

stoifics42 wrote:
JonnyM93 wrote:
stoifics42 wrote:Image
What's your scientific point of view on this? As in, is it possible to be that close? Or what are the effects of that?
As far as I can tell, it's as accurate as it is beautiful. The black hole is massive enough that they won't be ripped apart by tidal forces, and the accretion disk as a whole seems small & thinly-spread enough that it probably isn't emitting ionizing radiation (sometimes infalling debris can be heated so intensely it starts giving off X-rays, yikes!). Their trajectory takes them just above the disk itself to make sure they won't hit anything. We saw earlier that the ship starts out quite a ways away from the black hole, so a trajectory change that would take them that close should be within Endurance's capabilities. Getting far away again won't be a problem, as their momentum from falling in will carry them out the other side (as long as they never cross the event horizon, which brings certain death).

The most important thing to note is that now they're within 1 Schwarzschild radius of the event horizon: they're finally close enough to experience the extreme time dilation necessary to leap decades forward in time relative to Earth. We're not just watching the ship sailing above the glowing accretion disk, we're watching the crew being flung into an uncertain future.

As always, these are just educated guesses and could be wrong.
Just realized that scene will be the first time the crew actually experiences time dilation. If I understand correctly, the wormhole wouldn't cause time dilation to occur.