Interstellar General Information

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
ChristNolan wrote:I've come to realize that it is almost impossible to discuss this film on the internet (outside of this place) without the majority of responses being obnoxious vile hatred and the ever classic "plothole" yells. It's just...not possible at this point.
LOL so true.

I genuinely believe people think it makes them sound more "intelligent" or "analytical" when they say a movie has plot holes. These days it's like a contest of who can point out the most plot holes...OMG HOW DID BRUCE GET BACK TO GOTHAM IT'S A PLOT HOLE!!! DECENT MOVIE BUT MORE PLOT HOLES THAN SWISS CHEESE!

ChristNolan wrote:I've come to realize that it is almost impossible to discuss this film on the internet (outside of this place) without the majority of responses being obnoxious vile hatred and the ever classic "plothole" yells. It's just...not possible at this point.
So deeply flawed, amirite?

The 'edgy' thing to do now is criticise popular films.

The "edgy": thing to do is to find "plotholes" in new movies. That's why so many blockbusters fail critically with audiences... unless they are a comedy - only then do they get a pass (because supposedly these are the only movies we "shouldn't treat too seriously"). People over-analyze film. They treat illusion as if it is real, they forgot how to be in wonder/awe.

In years past people also analyzed movies but it didn't really influence their overall enjoyment. Nowadays people really stopped taking artistic value of a film into consideration like cinematography and music and make decissions based on script and dialogue alone.

I mean, Lawrence of Arabia would have been eaten alive these days. And yet, thanks to being released years ago, it's a monumentous cinematic achievement. And in my opinion, rightfully so. Star Wars would have been picked apart as well.

I think many internet critics take satirical sites like CinemaSins as literal and waaay too seriously. They think that's the way how you should evaluate film. Completely ignoring it's artistic value. Just finding inacurracies of the plot.

/r/movies?

Pratham wrote:
/r/movies?
I wouldn't be that sure.

LelekPL wrote:The "edgy": thing to do is to find "plotholes" in new movies. That's why so many blockbusters fail critically with audiences... unless they are a comedy - only then do they get a pass (because supposedly these are the only movies we "shouldn't treat too seriously"). People over-analyze film. They treat illusion as if it is real, they forgot how to be in wonder/awe.

In years past people also analyzed movies but it didn't really influence their overall enjoyment. Nowadays people really stopped taking artistic value of a film into consideration like cinematography and music and make decissions based on script and dialogue alone.

I mean, Lawrence of Arabia would have been eaten alive these days. And yet, thanks to being released years ago, it's a monumentous cinematic achievement. And in my opinion, rightfully so. Star Wars would have been picked apart as well.

I think many internet critics take satirical sites like CinemaSins as literal and waaay too seriously. They think that's the way how you should evaluate film. Completely ignoring it's artistic value. Just finding inacurracies of the plot.

I've been saying that for years and I completely agree. Though I don't think it's really general audiences as much as it's just a strong section of nerds on the Internet who are obsessed with finding plot holes, as most people I've met genuinely don't seem to care about plot holes. I also agree on the double standard for which films get picked apart, as movies from Marvel seems to get a free pass where as other films get ripped apart like crazy. I mean The Avengers and The Winter Soldier are filled with plot holes yet when they're brought up people are like, "Eh whatever, the movie is still cool" but if you bring up plot holes about TDKR or Interstellar then people automatically jump on the bandwagon and say the film sucks because of it.

The Winter Soldier feels like joke the more I think about it.

The action is great, no doubt about that. But the tonal shift is totally weird. Especially the bit (jumping on Snowden bandwagon) 'government is spying on every citizen' followed by 'oh, its trending on twitter'. Seriously?

Yes, you're right. It's mostly the internet critics and bloggers. Everyday people and most professional critics, especially the older generation, don't seem as bothered by plotholes. It's the internet/CinemaSIns crowd that takes offense with it so much (and I actually like that show, it's pretty funny when not treated so literally).

I guess to each their own. If such things take them out of the movie, I can understand that. I'm often irritated by errors myself, in the movie's reality or over-the-top action.

It's only a shame because art is being forgotten. Some comments are as such - "yeah, it looks beautiful and has beautiful music and the acting is good but the movie is horrible"... to me that would be a solid film but instead, artistic value is taken out of the equation and they're just looking for inaccuracies in the plot or how funny the movie is to justify them.

OFF-TOPIC: I'm actually lukewarm on the action in Winter Soldier. Some of it is really good - the boat, the elevator and Nick Fury car chase... but the rest was way over the top. And I hate Black Widow in it - she sucks the tension right out of the scene (if she doesn't care about the danger of the fight, why should I). I also don't understand the message of the film - it seemed to be against governmental control, which was pretty cool, but then it's like "you need us" and SHIELD will work in the shadows. So it's ok when the "good guys" have spies, it's only wrong when it's Hydra.

People just love to hate nolan because of his strong fan base and success