Interstellar General Information

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
SilverHeart wrote:They just showed a TV spot of the
big upside down new colony. You know, the end of the film?
That has to be a joke!!!!!
They also did that with Gravity with Sandra on Earth the ending

Heads will roll...

Is this it?

Bacon wrote:

Is this it?
Yes. While I think it's an absolutely idiotic move on the part of the marketing team, I was finally able to estimate the Station's cross-sectional size:
Ignore the numbers on this image. They're a ratio, not meters/feet/etc.

Size comparisons after some math:

Unfortunately, we don't have enough information to determine its length. The camera only pans in one direction; they never show a panorama.

Cool. What is the diameter of Cooper Station? From what I've gathered Endurance is 60m in diameter, but not sure is centerline or overall.

How long is the Ranger? I've been trying to figure out how large the 1:72 plastic model will be.

Latterlon wrote:Cool. What is the diameter of Cooper Station? From what I've gathered Endurance is 60m in diameter, but not sure is centerline or overall.

How long is the Ranger? I've been trying to figure out how large the 1:72 plastic model will be.
Cooper Station is roughly 342 meters in diameter.

A Ranger is roughly 19 meters long.

The diameter of Endurance's ring is 60 meters; however, measured module-tip-to-module-tip it is closer to 72 meters wide.

stoifics42 wrote:
Bacon wrote:

Is this it?
Yes. While I think it's an absolutely idiotic move on the part of the marketing team, I was finally able to estimate the Station's cross-sectional size:

Unfortunately, we don't have enough information to determine its length. The camera only pans in one direction; they never show a panorama.
In the shot where Cooper arrives in orbit around Saturn again near the end, don't we see the blinking lights of Cooper Station's exterior surface in the background? It would only be a rough estimate, but if we make the assumption that those lights span the full height of the station (the diameter), couldn't an approximate length be calculated from that image?

AmbroseCadwell wrote:
stoifics42 wrote:Yes. While I think it's an absolutely idiotic move on the part of the marketing team, I was finally able to estimate the Station's cross-sectional size:

In the shot where Cooper arrives in orbit around Saturn again near the end, don't we see the blinking lights of Cooper Station's exterior surface in the background? It would only be a rough estimate, but if we make the assumption that those lights span the full height of the station (the diameter), couldn't an approximate length be calculated from that image?
In theory, yes, but I think those lights were the approaching Rangers, not the Station.

By the way, the film has two different spacecrafts (Rangers): The Ranger that we know (with Endurance) and the other one that appears at the end, when Cooper goes in search of the Brand. The cockpit looks different...

PS: sorry my bad english