Interstellar General Information

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
My favorite bit:
Still, no one knew exactly what a black hole would look like until they actually built one. Light, temporarily trapped around the black hole, produced an unexpectedly complex fingerprint pattern near the black hole's shadow. And the glowing accretion disk appeared above the black hole, below the black hole, and in front of it. “I never expected that,” Thorne says. “Eugénie just did the simulations and said, ‘Hey, this is what I got.’ It was just amazing.”

In the end, Nolan got elegant images that advance the story. Thorne got a movie that teaches a mass audience some real, accurate science. But he also got something he didn't expect: a scientific discovery. “This is our observational data,” he says of the movie's visualizations. “That's the way nature behaves. Period.” Thorne says he can get at least two published articles out of it.

EnzoTheBaker wrote:
My favorite bit:
Still, no one knew exactly what a black hole would look like until they actually built one. Light, temporarily trapped around the black hole, produced an unexpectedly complex fingerprint pattern near the black hole's shadow. And the glowing accretion disk appeared above the black hole, below the black hole, and in front of it. “I never expected that,” Thorne says. “Eugénie just did the simulations and said, ‘Hey, this is what I got.’ It was just amazing.”

In the end, Nolan got elegant images that advance the story. Thorne got a movie that teaches a mass audience some real, accurate science. But he also got something he didn't expect: a scientific discovery. “This is our observational data,” he says of the movie's visualizations. “That's the way nature behaves. Period.” Thorne says he can get at least two published articles out of it.
Wonderful.

I'd love to seem to do a similar featurette about the wormhole too. Those are the huge scientific breakthroughs this film will be remembered for.

Last stills in big size.
and

lcbaseball22 wrote:
UnknownVariation wrote: Thank you for remaining calm in your response. Good lord. The "punches" Bane delivered looked like they were missing by feet. It wasn't convincing at all. I'm not denying the significance of the scene with regards to the story. I'm saying the execution was rather poor. The only redeeming qualities of that scene were the dialogue and the backbreaker.
I don't recall this but I'll try to watch again tomorrow and pay closer attention. There are certainly much worse fight scenes in the history of film though. Good news I guess is that Interstellar shouldn't really have any fight scenes, right? I think the one thing I'm a little concerned about that has been a bit of a notorious problem with Nolan's films (at least in the theatre) is the sound mixing or whatever...dialogue of Batman/Bane was quite difficult to understand at times. The space suits worry me in this regard...

EDIT: Inception I felt like I needed subtitles at times as well, and there were no masks used in that... :problem:
So I did watch TDKR again and my opinion stands. I'm sorry but I really did not notice much poor fight choreography watching it through at full speed (perhaps if I were to watch those parts in slo-mo) :shifty:

While there are a few clunky/clumsy scenes; I don't care for the opening sequence or the whole pit thing which is intended to be mis-direction (but perhaps that's cause I was spoiled about Talia) and yes the Talia death scene is atrocious acting...I still give the film an A- overall. The script is for the most part quite brilliant and fantastic playing off Tale of Two Cities ideas as well as social relevancy of Occupy and the 99%, I loved Selina Kyle's characterization, and I thought it was a fitting conclusion to the trilogy.

Now to make this relevant to Interstellar, is anyone going to address my concerns about the sound? It is certainly an issue in TDKR for any scenes that involve a mask (ie Gordon in the hopital, Bane throughout the film, etc) and I'm a bit worried the space helmets may alter dialogue to be un-intelligible at times too

Has the Nolan/Chastain BTS photo been posted yet?

Did that ABC interview air tonight?

lcbaseball22 wrote:Now to make this relevant to Interstellar, is anyone going to address my concerns about the sound? It is certainly an issue in TDKR for any scenes that involve a mask (ie Gordon in the hopital, Bane throughout the film, etc) and I'm a bit worried the space helmets may alter dialogue to be un-intelligible at times too
None of the dialogue we've heard so far in the trailers/TV spots gives any indication that it'll be hard to understand. They've all been crystal clear in my opinion. On the topic of space helmets though, why doesn't the crew in Interstellar have sun visors on their helmets?

lcbaseball22 wrote:
lcbaseball22 wrote:
UnknownVariation wrote: Thank you for remaining calm in your response. Good lord. The "punches" Bane delivered looked like they were missing by feet. It wasn't convincing at all. I'm not denying the significance of the scene with regards to the story. I'm saying the execution was rather poor. The only redeeming qualities of that scene were the dialogue and the backbreaker.
I don't recall this but I'll try to watch again tomorrow and pay closer attention. There are certainly much worse fight scenes in the history of film though. Good news I guess is that Interstellar shouldn't really have any fight scenes, right? I think the one thing I'm a little concerned about that has been a bit of a notorious problem with Nolan's films (at least in the theatre) is the sound mixing or whatever...dialogue of Batman/Bane was quite difficult to understand at times. The space suits worry me in this regard...

EDIT: Inception I felt like I needed subtitles at times as well, and there were no masks used in that... :problem:
So I did watch TDKR again and my opinion stands. I'm sorry but I really did not notice much poor fight choreography watching it through at full speed (perhaps if I were to watch those parts in slo-mo) :shifty:

While there are a few clunky/clumsy scenes; I don't care for the opening sequence or the whole pit thing which is intended to be mis-direction (but perhaps that's cause I was spoiled about Talia) and yes the Talia death scene is atrocious acting...I still give the film an A- overall. The script is for the most part quite brilliant and fantastic playing off Tale of Two Cities ideas as well as social relevancy of Occupy and the 99%, I loved Selina Kyle's characterization, and I thought it was a fitting conclusion to the trilogy.

Now to make this relevant to Interstellar, is anyone going to address my concerns about the sound? It is certainly an issue in TDKR for any scenes that involve a mask (ie Gordon in the hopital, Bane throughout the film, etc) and I'm a bit worried the space helmets may alter dialogue to be un-intelligible at times too
Well, if you analyse most fight scenes from almost any movie in slow-mo, it's easy to notice goofs here and there, so there isn't much point in doing that. I also don't think Talia's death scene was that bad. I mean, yeah, it wasn't good but it's not as bad as people make it out to be.

UnknownVariation wrote:
lcbaseball22 wrote:Now to make this relevant to Interstellar, is anyone going to address my concerns about the sound? It is certainly an issue in TDKR for any scenes that involve a mask (ie Gordon in the hopital, Bane throughout the film, etc) and I'm a bit worried the space helmets may alter dialogue to be un-intelligible at times too
None of the dialogue we've heard so far in the trailers/TV spots gives any indication that it'll be hard to understand. They've all been crystal clear in my opinion. On the topic of space helmets though, why doesn't the crew in Interstellar have sun visors on their helmets?
Good question... then again, we have yet to see the astronauts in a situation where they would need a sun visor at all.