Interstellar General Information

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
Ericmase wrote:Some actor named Francis X. McCarthy is going to play "Farmer" in the movie according to IMDb and Kristian Van der Heyden's character "Scientist" is no longer "(uncredited)"... But no Collette Wolfe yet? :facepalm:
It hurts, doesn't it.

chinn70 wrote: In the past NASA spacecraft have taken greatly different amounts of time to make it to Saturn. Pioneer 11 took six and a half years to arrive. Voyager 1 took three years and two months, Voyager 2 took four years, and the Cassini spacecraft took six years and nine months to arrive. The New Horizons spacecraft took a short two years and four months to arrive on the scene. I think they go into cryosleep for the long trip to saturn and not the wormhole jump.
Wow, thought it would be longer. Thx for the info. Can't wait to see how Nolan breaks down the science [piggybacking on Kip, of course]. :thumbup:

cclem wrote:
chinn70 wrote: In the past NASA spacecraft have taken greatly different amounts of time to make it to Saturn. Pioneer 11 took six and a half years to arrive. Voyager 1 took three years and two months, Voyager 2 took four years, and the Cassini spacecraft took six years and nine months to arrive. The New Horizons spacecraft took a short two years and four months to arrive on the scene. I think they go into cryosleep for the long trip to saturn and not the wormhole jump.
Wow, thought it would be longer. Thx for the info. Can't wait to see how Nolan breaks down the science [piggybacking on Kip, of course]. :thumbup:
Ha, that's nice. ;)

m4st4 wrote:
cclem wrote:
Ha, that's nice. ;)
Well, as smart as Chris is, Kip's theories can be over anyone's head. I mean, have any of you actually read through some of his dissertations? They are insane. What intrigues me is wondering how deep Nolan will take it. His movies have always been for the "intelligent" audience, but this may be a whole new monster. :shock:

I emailed Kip Thorne and asked him some questions regarding traversable wormholes. He gave me this example on how they would work :

"A wormhole is a hypothetical tunnel through hyperspace that links one place in our Universe (e.g. my office at Caltech) to another place (e.g. the Caltech football field). Each end of the wormhole (each mouth) looks like a crystal ball. Staring into it, one sees a distorted image of objects at the other end. Looking into the mouth in my office, I see the football field, distorted; someone on the football field, looking into the mouth there, sees me and my office, distorted. The wormhole (tunnel) might be only 3 metres long, so if I enter the mouth in my office and then travel just 3 metres through the tunnel, I emerge from the other mouth, onto the football field 300 metres from my office. Suppose, now, that a creature from an extremely advanced civilisation carries the football-field mouth out into the Universe on a "twins paradox" trip. When that mouth returns, it may have aged by only one second while the mouth in my office aged by one day. The wormhole has become a time machine: If I enter one mouth and travel through it for only a few seconds, I emerge from the other mouth one day in the future. Travelling through it in the other direction, I emerge one day in the past!"

In space.com they also interviewed him and he talks about Black Hole collisions and gravitational waves. Im not sure if Nolan will even say how everything works, we are probably just going to enjoy the ride!! :gonf:

While the science behind it all is most certainly trippy and I have no doubt we'll get that classic Nolan intellect to explain it in a way the audience can grasp, I'm still not entirely sure just how "out there" the film will really be. I mean, is it going to be a sort of classic adventure in that the Team goes from Point A to Point B via wormhole and once they've completed their mission they go back from Point B to Point A via wormhole (but do they make it back? dun dun dun!), or will it be a lot more complex than that?

Keep in mind I have not read the script and am staying away from spoilers. I'm just not entirely sure how complex a narrative we're dealing with here.

I think Nolan is going to make it a lot more complicated (in a good way) and trippy than any of us think. I think he is going to play very heavily on the time travel elements and perhaps even the alternate/paralell universes.

I hope Nolan keeps it trippy. I'm a little concerned that the average audience understands it.

zonda wrote:I hope Nolan keeps it trippy. I'm a little concerned that the average audience understands it.
I'm worried about that too, hopefully that's not the case.

Found this post on twitter from a guy who works at double negative(the vfx company that does all of Nolan's films). I asked him about it and he replied. https://twitter.com/antoniovfx/status/4 ... 4883640320

"Antonio Meazzini ‏@antoniovfx · May 31
Only 2 more weeks to finish #interstellar , almost there!

radewart ‏@radewart · May 31
@antoniovfx The movie in general? Or just your part of it?

Antonio Meazzini‏@antoniovfx · @radewart the whole movie, we are delivering at the end of june

That seems really early for a November release. I asked him about that, but he has yet to reply.