Interstellar General Information

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
If Cuaron can win Oscar, I'm sure Nolan can, too, for his work on Interstellar.

Rohan wrote:If Cuaron can win Oscar, I'm sure Nolan can, too, for his work on Interstellar.
Well, one of the reasons Cuarón won the DGA award (and could win the Oscar) has a lot to with the long, unbroken shots, the camera work and the use of 3D in that film.

That stuff is not exactly Nolan's forte.

I'm not sure what the approach will be for Interstellar but Gravity is a technical achivement, the likes you've never seen...for quite a while. That took a lot of vision (and I'm sure Int will as well) and I can totally understand what Fincher meant that Cuaron would have to wait 4 years until the technology existed. Besides, its approach to story is interesting. Linear but very direct and it takes place over a very short period of time. It's like this one sudden attack.
I think the Coens probably deserve the shiny naked man but I wouldn't mind if Cuaron won. I don't really care.

Rohan wrote:If Cuaron can win Oscar, I'm sure Nolan can, too, for his work on Interstellar.
I don't see Nolan winning next year if Cuaron win this year. It would be two consecutive years for directors with sci-fi films. I don't see it happening.

Monicabbm wrote:
I don't see Nolan winning next year if Cuaron win this year. It would be two consecutive years for directors with sci-fi films. I don't see it happening.
Ron Howard & Roman Polanski consecutively won for directing biopics (The Beautiful Mind & The Pianist respectively). The Academy Sci-Fi bias is present, but the repeat genre analogy was disproved back in 2003.

Monicabbm wrote:
Agreed and I think no director has ever won for directing a Sci-fi film. I think Richard Linklater has a great chance to win best director since he been working on Boyhood for over 12 years.

ChrisTilford wrote:
Monicabbm wrote:
Ron Howard & Roman Polanski consecutively won for directing biopics (The Beautiful Mind & The Pianist respectively). The Academy Sci-Fi bias is present, but the repeat genre analogy was disproved back in 2003.
If Cuaron win, he will be the first for a sci-fi movie, it's a genre that the Academy doesn't like. Because of this, I don't see Nolan winning for Interstellar.

I hope I'm wrong.

Monicabbm wrote:
If Cuaron win, he will be the first for a sci-fi movie, it's a genre that the Academy doesn't like. Because of this, I don't see Nolan winning for Interstellar.

I hope I'm wrong.
You're probably right. But I can definitely see the brothers picking up the nod for Best Original Screenplay. Also, maybe, just maybe, Chris might end up working with Jonah on Hell and Gone & end up winning Best Director, especially considering how Oscar baitish it is. (Period setting, actual events, outside the director's comfort zone et al)

Of all the films next year, Interstellar just seems like it's on another level. PTA is doing a noir like film that's probably more in line with Boogie Nights tonally and Fincher is handling a super dark murder mystery. Maybe Foxcatcher? Not that it really matters, but just interesting to speculate.

You guys are hilarious.

I can't imagine any other fanbase being *this* obsessed with Oscars.

I hope C. Nolan makes Hell and Gone just so he can win the Oscar! Quality of the film and whether I'll actually like it is completely irrelevant.