Interstellar General Information

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
Or maybe in April in front of Transcendence.

Since there's a lull in news maybe we could get some discussion on the film without getting into spoilers. How likely is it that this will be Nolan's Magnum Opus? Think it'll get awards consideration (I have to imagine it will be a frontrunner in most categories based on what I've seen here)? Where does McConaughey's character rank among Nolan's other protagonists do you think?

Sky007 wrote:Since there's a lull in news maybe we could get some discussion on the film without getting into spoilers. How likely is it that this will be Nolan's Magnum Opus? Think it'll get awards consideration (I have to imagine it will be a frontrunner in most categories based on what I've seen here)? Where does McConaughey's character rank among Nolan's other protagonists do you think?
Will it be Nolan's Magnum Opus?

It could be, there are indications in the first draft, considering the grand themes but also grounded characters ala classic Spielberg's movies that might easily connect with the audience. It will be Inception in space, take it for what you will.

Awards consideration?

Definitely. Technical categories are a given, but I'd also put both Nolan and Zimmer in the mix, as well as the Best Pic nomination, everything else depends on the cast - especially Matthew and Anne (maaybe Chastain in the supporting role?) and the year at hand.

Where does McConaughey's character rank among Nolan's other protagonists do you think?

Right there beside Dom Cobb, but I'm sure Matthew will inject a bit of Leonard as well, it might become the most recognizable role for him in years to come, really. People will talk about Interstellar but it will not fade away like with Gravity (assuming it already did with Cuaron's space epic).

poplar wrote:
Rohan wrote:
o SHAKESPEARE o wrote:Someone should make a NeoGaf account and see how much more information we can get out of him! :lol:
We can perform Inception. It's possible.
So we have to get a team.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

May is a long way off. Let's hope the end of March brings some leakage....

m4st4 wrote:
Sky007 wrote:Since there's a lull in news maybe we could get some discussion on the film without getting into spoilers. How likely is it that this will be Nolan's Magnum Opus? Think it'll get awards consideration (I have to imagine it will be a frontrunner in most categories based on what I've seen here)? Where does McConaughey's character rank among Nolan's other protagonists do you think?
Will it be Nolan's Magnum Opus?

It could be, there are indications in the first draft, considering the grand themes but also grounded characters ala classic Spielberg's movies that might easily connect with the audience. It will be Inception in space, take it for what you will.

Awards consideration?

Definitely. Technical categories are a given, but I'd also put both Nolan and Zimmer in the mix, as well as the Best Pic nomination, everything else depends on the cast - especially Matthew and Anne (maaybe Chastain in the supporting role?) and the year at hand.

Where does McConaughey's character rank among Nolan's other protagonists do you think?

Right there beside Dom Cobb, but I'm sure Matthew will inject a bit of Leonard as well, it might become the most recognizable role for him in years to come, really. People will talk about Interstellar but it will not fade away like with Gravity (assuming it already did with Cuaron's space epic).

Alright, alright, alright. Thanks for the info. So it sounds like this is gonna be an iconic film. I'm getting a Raiders of the Lost Ark meets 2001: A Space Odyssey vibe if that makes any sense at all. Again, without spoiling how thought provoking and philosophical does it get? Does it break new ground in cinema?

Nolan got all opussed out in 2000.
I'm hoping this will be Inception calibre at least. High hopes.

Is there anybody thinking about possible acting nods for the film? The only one who has got traction in a Nolan film is Ledger. I doubt that someone will get tractions w/critics and industry awards (maybeeee Chastain, but mostly for her body of work alongside Miss Julie, Eleanor Rigby and A Most Violent Year), but it's always nice to not close the possibility of eating crow.

I think if someone gets a nom it will be McC. Other than that Hoytema is a likely bet, and fingers crossed for Nolan.

If McConaughey wins for DBC he won't have a good shot at winning for Interstellar. I love seeing his success but of course I'd rather see him get a win under Nolan. I would bet that he'll get a nomination though. With this cast, how human it seems to be and the grand themes it's aiming at, I would expect this to be Nolan's biggest awards contender. Those that have read the script likely can pick out who the best or most showy characters are. But if I was guessing now? McConaughey, Hathaway, and Chastain will get noms. Nolan and Hoyte as well. Hell, this thing will probably get noms across the board.

I do wonder if Gravity takes home a lot of wins (I think 12 Years is gonna) if it will hurt Interstellar's chances next year. Sci-Fi is already tough to win with and I doubt they'd go two years in a row.

If anyone acting wise McC, nobody else really has a chance tbh.