Interstellar's Soundtrack

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
Rom
Last edited by Rom on September 8th, 2017, 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

I swear to god if the first cue is in D minor...

My hunch is that the Interstellar soundtrack will be a reaction against Zimmer's own recent work. The Dark Knight aesthetic (big drums, powerful string work) really solidified itself in Hollywood as the 'thing to be copied.' I feel like the little teaser we got with that first trailer all the way back is the polar opposite of that -- ethereal rather than percussive. Fingers crossed...

Zimmer himself has said that the music he used in the Batman movies has kind of become the norm now and has seeped into the soundtracks of other movies. He's certainly not going that route with Interstellar. Below is the exact quote (I'm not sure if this has already been shared but I believe most will be aware of it. Nevertheless, can't quote Zimmer enough) !!!

“We had this sort of conversation about—you know nine years we spent in our Batman world. The textures, the music, and the sounds, and the thing we sort of created has sort of seeped into other people’s movies a bit, so it’s time to reinvent. The endless string of sonatas need to go by the wayside, the big drums are probably in the bin. So right now it’s sort of the time where I’m pondering what else we can do.”

Source: http://collider.com/interstellar-score- ... t-trilogy/

Like I said when that was first shared, it's misquoted. He said "endless string ostinatos" not "endless string of sonatas".

that wasn't just for Interstellar. He already changed it for TASM2

Well... that one had a fair share of big drums and ostinatos.

Interstellar will be radically different I think. The more ethereal parts of TASM2, MOS, and A&D are probably good indicators of what to expect.

Like Batman soundtrack wasn't already a variation of stuff he did like 15 years ago :lol:

It's a shame how Nolan seems so enamored by him.

Zimmer's contributions to the Batman music had roots in his early action stuff like Black Rain. But otherwise it was actually pretty fresh.

But I suppose if you're not a fan, you don't want to hear reason....

;)

thegreypilgrim wrote:Zimmer's contributions to the Batman music had roots in his early action stuff like Black Rain. But otherwise it was actually pretty fresh.

But I suppose if you're not a fan, you don't want to hear reason....

;)
Some motifs are straight up off Black Rain. Right ?

Did Zimmer really started heavy drums with Batman ?

I find the soundtracks of the trilogy quite enjoyable (more Begins than the others). But not particularly original.

He has a sound-space and usually works within this boundaries. I would like that Nolan films escaped from that. I was watching Prestige a week ago and thinking how different the film would be if Zimmer had put its hands on him.