What are your complaints? What would you do differently?

Discussion of the Superman reboot produced by Christopher Nolan and Emma Thomas.
Obvious Spoilers.

Well, now that the film has premiered it's time to get into the dirty little details. While many people love Man of Steel (especially on this board), there are many others whose expectations were not met, who have things they would change, or outright hate the film. This is not a place for a "You're wrong, I'm right!" argument to break out, rather, it's for those who feel unfulfilled by what they saw and and would ultimately change things given the chance.

Personally, I would give Man of Steel a 7/10 upon my first viewing. It's not a horrible film, but it definitely did not live up the advertising which had been created for it, nor did it live up to my hope of having a legitimately inventive and exciting beginning of a DC Shared Universe, unlike Iron Man. Here are some nits, picks, and complaints to get us started off.
-Mixed feelings about the opening Krypton scene. I liked how they showed Zod taking power, which was better than what we had seen in the Donner films, but as for the look of Krypton itself-sure it looked different than the Donner films and alien enough I suppose-but I didn't care much for it. Why would an advanced civilization have winged mounts to fly around on or have their genesis chamber-big womb-undersea? I think some of that stuff was just put in their for a visual spectacle, and it didn't work for me.

-I also thought the opening sequence went on too long. Battle Jor-El was a little bit much and the way he kicked Zod's behind was pushing it too far. I'm sure they probably had to accommodate Crowe but still Zod should've handled himself much better if he is a genetically engineered warrior.

-Why is the genetic destiny of Krypton embodied in an ancient skull? And why isn't there better security around that skull?

-the Krypton scenes that follow border on nonsensical and way too rushed. If we had just had maybe one or two scenes prior to the council scene, establishing Jor El and General Zod as genuine allies with one tragic difference in world views, it would have given so much more weight to the Jor El's death, Zod's incarceration, and the destruction of Krypton. Ultimately it just feels like one rushed action setpiece to the next, setting up the very plotty MacGuffin in the Codex. Say what you want about the original Superman's version of Krypton, the silly outfits and fake looking sets, Donner gives it mournful pace and a wonderful, wise Jor El in Marlon Brando who really sells the importance of the moment. TELLING rather than SHOWING is generally a big complaint I have about David Goyer's script.

-When Superman takes Zod out for bullying Martha, he seems to forget the other Kryptonian soldiers there. What was to stop any of them from killing Martha while he's tussling with Zod?

-Superman did seem a bit oblivious to the destruction he was causing, or part of causing. There was at least one scene where he's warning some locals to get inside, but that doesn't mean much when they are throwing people through buildings and leveling skyscrapers, particularly in the Krypton scene.

-Why doesn't anyone think opening a black hole above Metropolis might not be a bad idea?

-Also, if it was such a big deal about Lara and Jor-El conceiving naturally, how did they cover up the pregnancy? Did anyone not notice that Lara was pregnant? With Jor-El being a prominent scientist I would assume he might be somewhat in the public eye.

I find myself constantly defending this movie. I just loved it. As far as the events on Krypton, those scenes were some of my favorite. I could have watched an entire film about Krypton. None of that bothered me.
Other than the action just getting too chaotic for my taste toward the end and some editing issues, I really have little problem with the film. The product placement was honestly my biggest issue. I questioned some creative decisions, like killing Clarks dad or Supes killing Zod but I felt these things were handled well enough that they won me over with them. And I also like that Lois just knows who he is intimately from the start.
I'm going again tomorrow for a second look and see if I still feel the same.

anonymity wrote:
Me too. I saw it in 3d the first time. Tomorrow will be IMAX

anonymity wrote:I find myself constantly defending this movie. I just loved it. As far as the events on Krypton, those scenes were some of my favorite. I could have watched an entire film about Krypton. None of that bothered me.
Other than the action just getting too chaotic for my taste toward the end and some editing issues, I really have little problem with the film. The product placement was honestly my biggest issue. I questioned some creative decisions, like killing Clarks dad or Supes killing Zod but I felt these things were handled well enough that they won me over with them. And I also like that Lois just knows who he is intimately from the start.
You didn't immediately want to buy a Nikon or eat at IHOP or shop at 7-11?

Sandy wrote:
anonymity wrote:I find myself constantly defending this movie. I just loved it. As far as the events on Krypton, those scenes were some of my favorite. I could have watched an entire film about Krypton. None of that bothered me.
You didn't immediately want to buy a Nikon or eat at IHOP or shop at 7-11?
Well I always want to go to 711 so it doesn't matter much for me

Damn someone should make a 711 movie

As a said in a different thread, after enduring the trolls on imdb, I expected to at least find some common ground with the people here. In stead the overall reaction from the fans was positive and considering what a horrible mess of a movie Man of Steel was, I was really surprised.

Introducing the Michael Bay of the superhero genre - Zack Snyder utilizes and destroys everything creating an enormous CGI explosion fest, since that is what makes for a convincing story, where everything is at stake. Snap zooms, shaky cam - the very epitome of a $200mil blockbuster movie. Story structure and editing? Screw that. People want Superman to fight giant tentacles and make stupid decisions.

The movie fails to work even within the logic it establishes. Take for example the fact that Earth's atmosphere (gases) is the source of Superman's power. Yet we see him flying repeatedly in the vacuum of space. During their final showdown, luring Zod away from the city would be the logical thing to do. In stead Superman embraces the fact they are amongst millions of people and uses it to reek havoc and destruction - throwing the General into skyscrapers again and again. Having just witnessed the annihilation of the city, was I really supposed to care for anyone, let alone Lois' co-workers?

Not even acknowledging the destruction, Kent and Lane kiss in the midst of the new-build graveyard, amongst hundreds of thousands of dead men, women and children. But DAMN, wasn't that CGI background just pretty!

Not much to say about the character development, since it was practically non-existent. Clark Kent transforming into Superman in under 3 minutes? Check. The only difference between him at the beginning and the end was that he became a reporter. But what about the subject of the movie, the deep and profound duality of Clark, his unending struggle to find what is right. People should have been offended being spoon-fed these superficial themes and yet somehow they manage to resonate with so many viewers.

It was a sad thing to be so disappointed with something I thought had the potential to be great, but it's even more disappointing that so many people fail to recognize a plot-hole ridden film, devoid of coherent storytelling, which embraces the idea that nothing has consequences as long as it looks spectacular.

Goyer's terrible writing, Snyder's lack of vision and the undemanding, uncritical and shallow audience made this possible.

xendor wrote:Goyer's terrible writing, Snyder's lack of vision and the undemanding, uncritical and shallow audience made this possible.
Not only are they blind, but actively ignorant.

This movie has issues and I don't disagree with many of the complaints. But for whatever reason I still managed to enjoy it. I also loved Dredd another film that got bashed a lot. Sometimes a film just rings with an audience on a subjective and emotional level. I'm going to see MOS again in just a couple hours and maybe I'll have a more objective opinion on it but I was deeply moved in my first viewing. I feel like people are talking about this film like it's the worst blockbuster ever or something. I mean come on. All I can figure is that everyone was expecting greatness and I agree the film falls short of that. But man did I have a good time and I'm not gonna continue to justify how much I enjoyed the film.
xendor wrote:it's even more disappointing that so many people fail to recognize a plot-hole ridden film, devoid of coherent storytelling, which embraces the idea that nothing has consequences as long as it looks spectacular.

Goyer's terrible writing, Snyder's lack of vision and the undemanding, uncritical and shallow audience made this possible.
I find this very insulting to average movie goers that don't watch movies the way we do but are just looking to have a good time and escape reality. Not to mention that there are tons of "plot-hole ridden films" out there. People still say the same thing about The Dark Knight Rises.

Man of Steel was popcorn entertainment. Like it or don't. But stop acting like this is the worst comic book adaptation or blockbuster of recent years.

RyanRises wrote: Not only are they blind, but actively ignorant.
:blank: Really man?

This is a compliant thread so please don't attack me...

1) Lack of character development. You should be bawling your eyes out during the Tornado scene, or the Jor-El scene near the end, or the Jenny scene, or from Clark/Lois connection but oh wait the terrible character development makes you not care quite frankly.
2) Flashbacks are fine but there's no flow into them. When you watch TDK trilogy (yes i get this is a different movie blah blah) you barely notice the transition from flashback to real time, it's so seamless, it's perfectly related to the scene at hand. The flashbacks are used to develop your feeling for a character, in MOS they're just kind of there.
3)
how about not becoming superman the 3rd time you've seen adult Clark on camera...terrible. The suit, first flight, discovery of Jor-El and his past, etc. are TERRIBLY executed.
4) The lame, cheesy lines. This is 2013 not 1993. Lines like "Unleash the World Machine!" and pretty much every line for the military personnel in the movie are completely laughable.

I'm sure there's plenty more. I love the fighting, i think it's some of the best fight scenes i've ever seen. I love Hans' score, it's absolutely mind-blowing and carries this film. I love the suit. I love the Krypton action. I love the Easter eggs in the background. I love the subtle
Lana Lang, Pete, etc. inclusion.
. Perhaps i've just come to expect more from a movie that costs $230 million to make. At some point we let hollywood off easy for putting in a terrible effort because they know as long as things are blowing up anyone under 20 is going to eat it up, regardless of any story or lack there of. I like movies you have to think about (inception, life of pi, etc.). Agree with a previous poster, this feels like a Power Rangers episode.