Man of Steel (2013)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Addicted2Movies wrote:
caos wrote:Hi guys! I've just signed! I'm from Italy. Unfortunately I'll see man of steel the 20th of june but I'm excited. I want to let you know that also in here where I live (north of Italy) the reviews from the critic are...well...not good. But I'm not concerned because Im going to love this movie anyway. Nolan+Sneyder for me is the top (little bit a fan, you know :D ). Anyway I'll accepted a flawless movie because this is a new start e superman story is really really tough to tell. If this movie won't kick ass, well I'll hope for a good sequel. (sorry for any further mistake but in here is very very late in night :lol: )

Also, maybe the reviews would have been better if they'd gone with

jk
fuck yer who doesnt want the mighty nick cage to be superman ???? ;)
wat rating will mos get on imdb when it first opens ?? above 8 hopefully :x :x

Well, tomorrow is the big day Ive been waiting for. I am shocked at the harsh reviews, but I will see for myself if they have merit. Lower my expectations but hoping for the best. The bright side is, all the critics I generally pay attention to gave it positive reviews, even if not glowing.

I'm still going in with high expectations, but they have been lowered a bit since the negative reaction.

4 more positive reviews and the film will be "fresh" again. I'm optimistic it'll at least climb back up to borderline fresh once more. Not a necessity to enjoy the movie, obviously, but it's always nice to have a degree of validation. 8-)
Last edited by slimshady247 on June 13th, 2013, 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlairCo wrote:I feel that now Ebert is gone, I don't know which critic to trust.
If you trusted Ebert you should be able to find someone equitable.

Just to know because it's new for me. Who makes reviews in sites as metacritic or rotten? Normal people member of the site or "official" critics from magazine or newspaper?

The critics who submit their reviews decide whether it's considered fresh or rotten.

It's almost 4 in the morning. I just got back from the midnight screening. Can't sleep. Guess Ill be doing a little review then. Here goes:

First of all. It's a good action film. The storyline is pretty straightforward, not really that Nolan'esque (which is understandable since a 'story by' credit can pretty much just be half a sheet of paper of a general outline)
Shannon and Crowe did a great job! By far my favorite performances in the film. Cavill was a fine Superman - he did his part.

The first part of the film which takes place on Krypton is amazing! I would watch an entire film with just that place! Great special effects as well!

I feel like the film got a little weak in the second half. It was a lot of Superman flying around from place to place saving people and fucking shit up. Which brings me to my next point. SHIT GETS FUCKED UP IN THE FILM! DAMN!
Minor spoilers:
The amount of city Superman and Zod just destroys in the combat is a bit extreme. Skycrapers are falling over everywhere, we are talking tens of thousands of deaths... if it wasn't a comic book film ;)
I think the problem I had with the second half of the film isn't as much a issue with the film, as it is an issue with the character Superman itself. Because of his incredible super human powers, it just get's a bit silly at times. When you've seen superman getting punched through a building ten times - it gets a bit old. And you never really see him at his low points. The only place he really feels vulnerable - it's just easily skipped over and doesn't last for more than five minutes.

Overall impression:
I liked the film for what It was, a good action film. I was a bit disappointed with the mediocrity of the story. It was pretty much a 'something happens' and then you just accept it kinda story. It's a good action film, but it's not in the Dark Knight Trilogy kinda of league. at all.
Last edited by Jones on June 13th, 2013, 9:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

caos wrote:Just to know because it's new for me. Who makes reviews in sites as metacritic or rotten? Normal people member of the site or "official" critics from magazine or newspaper?