Man of Steel (2013)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
didich wrote:Yet another viewing to try to discover what was I missing from this film. It didn't go well. I'll wait for the bluray for any future viewings (if any) because in part I believe saturation has played a part in my discomfort, but Im pretty sure it's not the only part.

The hype is dead for me and, personally, I found this movie to be walking the line between 'watchable' and 'plain-out sucks'. The script was, without a doubt, the worst aspect of this movie and much, much worse than the script for even the average semi-good blockbuster like Pacific Rim (in fact, the only reason I rate it higher than the ones for the Transformers series is because this at least lacks the racist, sexist humour). The actors ranged from 'meh' at best (I was expecting much more from Michael Shannon) and awful at worst. The visual effects and action sequences are pretty to look at but lack (for the most part except in the battle of Smallville, which still is one of the most well-thought action sequences I've seen) both brain, heart and soul (I don't want to watch Superman play city-wide rock'em sock'em robots with Zod if it's going to be ignored five minutes after that, thanks)...

If I had to judge the movie for this viewing alone, it would (barely) reach the 6. I'll wait and try to appreciate it more in the future, but seriously I don't see what this movie has that you people are rating so high. I suppose it's more a problem of mine, though.

I share the same thoughts and I know people who think the same way.
People in my theater didn't react to anything and many, many people left before the end.

After working with Scorsese and Nolan would be a downgrade for him to work with Snyder.

But I can see Snyder going for him.

i reckon eminem

No, Snyder is a downgrade.
Do you think Zack Snyder and David Goyer will write a great Lex Luthor? Do you think these two have the ability to write great characters?
Look what happened with MoS, a great cast that was wasted. There was no memorable character in the film. No memorable line.

I had high hopes for this movie. Ok, I didn't like any movie Zack Snyder, but it was a film produced by Nolan, so I was hoping that would be at least good. It wasn't happened.
Snyder is all wrong for WF, MoS 2, ...

I thought that after all those horrible reviews, Warner would change the director. But unfortunately the studio acts as hey made ​​money, we'll keep snyder / goyer in it. :/

Can't you see Shannon owning the scenes in this thing?

Bacon wrote:
I kinda admire this guy. While sometimes he loses control of his Ego, he works hard and is passionate, is the kind of guy I truly respect.

didich wrote:
Bacon wrote:
I kinda admire this guy. While sometimes he loses control of his Ego, he works hard and is passionate, is the kind of guy I truly respect.
That's good. One of his least fav thing about himself is that he let's his Ego control him sometimes. He says he always makes a bad first impression and can be just plain unlikable to many people, even if he tries not to be. He acknowledges his problem and tries to stop it, but even that problem does not hinder his great ideas.

Monicabbm wrote: Look what happened with MoS, a great cast that was wasted. There was no memorable character in the film. No memorable line.
I'm going to have to disagree with you there.

I thought Kevin Costner as Jonathan Kent was fantastic, in fact, he was probably my favorite character. It was a subtle performance, but that's what made it memorable for me.

Antje Traue and Henry Cavill surprised me. Traue's Faora arguably had a stronger presence than Shannon's Zod, and she often stole the spotlight from everyone else. Cavill, albeit not having much dialogue seemed to have captured the mannerisms of Superman. Both of these actors were greatly utilized in the film and played memorable characters.

Crowe's Jor-El is a performance I didn't love as much as everyone else, but I understand why everyone loved the portrayal. The fact that everyone else praises him for it shows that he was memorable for the audiences.

To say that Man of Steel had no memorable characters and a wasted cast is just being ignorant.

Faora was badass eye candy but Zud actually had the story/depth

07202012 wrote:
Monicabbm wrote: Look what happened with MoS, a great cast that was wasted. There was no memorable character in the film. No memorable line.
I'm going to have to disagree with you there.

I thought Kevin Costner as Jonathan Kent was fantastic, in fact, he was probably my favorite character. It was a subtle performance, but that's what made it memorable for me.

Antje Traue and Henry Cavill surprised me. Traue's Faora arguably had a stronger presence than Shannon's Zod, and she often stole the spotlight from everyone else. Cavill, albeit not having much dialogue seemed to have captured the mannerisms of Superman. Both of these actors were greatly utilized in the film and played memorable characters.

Crowe's Jor-El is a performance I didn't love as much as everyone else, but I understand why everyone loved the portrayal. The fact that everyone else praises him for it shows that he was memorable for the audiences.

To say that Man of Steel had no memorable characters and a wasted cast is just being ignorant.
Great post and I couldn't agree more. Monica's hate on man of steel is pathetic :lol: