Writers topic - Story & Screenplay

A collaborative project utilizing the many talents of the forums' aspiring filmmakers.
Main story
Two private investigators are on the case of a murder. We start in their office, as one of them puts a tape in the VCR. On the tape, there are 3 recordings of an interrogation by the police. While the suspects and/or witnesses talk, we get to see a flashback of what happened. They all seem to be talking about different murders. Suspects who are black in one flashback, white in another. Cars that become vans, guns that change into knifes.
After we’ve seen all 3 stories, we catch a small conversation between the investigators. All witnesses are talking about the same murder. The mind has changed some details, so it would make the story unreliable.

What really happened
We are on a street. Quite narrow, not busy, a bit like a street that ends on a main road. There are a few people on the street. It is dark, evening/night time. It is raining and lightning strikes every now and then. There is a red car standing with running engine, a few meters further down the road.
A shot was fired, inside a house. A few (not all) of the people on the street look around.
A guy (white, mid 20’s) runs out of a house with a bag, leaves the door open. Another guy (black, early 20’s) comes after him. He has a gun and fires it. The bullet hits the first guy. People in the street are shocked and start running. The black man quickly walks towards the white man and grabs the bag and runs away. He does not close the door.
Why the black guy shot the other guy does not have to be in the movie. My conclusion is that they were both robbing the same house, for the same reason. They found each other in the house and got into a fight.

Differences in the statements
Group 1:
• The black guy becomes white, the white guy black.
• It had just been raining, but it isn’t anymore.
• The car has a different color.
Group 2:
• Both guys are a lot younger. Around 16/18.
• The car is a van instead of a car.
• The gun used is a machine gun.
Group 3:
• This whole statement is right.

Segment start and end
All three segments that are on the tape are different shot, but they all need the following;
Every segment starts with a blue screen, white letters in the middle:
Case file: # 14 15 12 01 14
Witness statement: #01 (or 2,3)

After that, we start in a interrogation room. We never see who is talking on the side of the police. The camera stays focused on the witness. The flashback is not actually on the tape. The viewer of the movie just sees that. The two investigators who are watching the tapes don’t.
All segments end with the last few words inside the interrogation room again.
The officer that is interrogating the witnesses is in each movie the same. Since we don’t see him, we can edit him in and just let a voice actor do the job. Maybe there will be a telephone conversation in the ‘present segment’ with him, so this voice actor is in every segment.

Present segment
The present segment is the part of the movie in which the investigators are looking at the tapes. This segment has a small part at the beginning of the movie, and a bigger part at the end. The segment will be written by Erik. He can only start after the three other screenplays are done due to conversations about the witnesses.

Screenplay writers:
You can start now. You will recieve a PM with my e-mail adres in the next few days. Your screenplay should be mailed to me in Word (.doc or .docx). Good luck!
David emerges from the store slowly. He braces himself against a parked car and then keeps on walking in a nightmarish daze.

WE PULL BACK as David blends in with dozens and dozens of ordinary people, walking on an ordinary street, in an ordinary city.

By what date do you want the screenplays by?

sounds good

On your mark, get set... GOOOOO!!!

Good luck with the writing! :thumbup:

So, I'm writing the third one? The one where both the black man and the white man fight each other?

Have the writing done by August 9th, or as close to then as possible. That gives you about a week and two days.

freakybatman wrote:Have the writing done by August 9th, or as close to then as possible. That gives you about a week and two days.
All right. I have enough time for it.

chee wrote:So, I'm writing the third one? The one where both the black man and the white man fight each other?
I believe so. Just use the 'What Really Happened' details. Your group is still missing a director, but well, so far, it's only the writing part that is needed..

niniendowarrior wrote:
chee wrote:So, I'm writing the third one? The one where both the black man and the white man fight each other?
I believe so. Just use the 'What Really Happened' details. Your group is still missing a director, but well, so far, it's only the writing part that is needed..
Yes, you write an interrogation between the police and witness. While the witness tells his/her story, we get to see a flashback of her interpertation of the crime.
David emerges from the store slowly. He braces himself against a parked car and then keeps on walking in a nightmarish daze.

WE PULL BACK as David blends in with dozens and dozens of ordinary people, walking on an ordinary street, in an ordinary city.

Erik wrote:
niniendowarrior wrote:I believe so. Just use the 'What Really Happened' details. Your group is still missing a director, but well, so far, it's only the writing part that is needed..
Yes, you write an interrogation between the police and witness. While the witness tells his/her story, we get to see a flashback of her interpertation of the crime.
Kay. :)