Trouble hearing dialogue?

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
Was I the only one having trouble hearing dialogue? Ken Watanabe was a whole other issue due to his accent (I probably made out less than half of what he said). But it seemed like the score would drown out lines from even the other actors, or at least make their lines difficult to hear at many points.

I was just looking through the quotes and didn't even realize this was something said in the movie :lol: :

Cobb: For this to work, we'd have to buy off the pilots...
Arthur: And we'd have to buy off the flight attendants...
Saito: I bought the airline.
[Everybody turns and stares at him. Saito just shrugs]
Saito: It seemed neater.

Me too man, maybe it was the backround music that lead to this.
{=}

I've seen it in IMAX twice and an older cheaper movie theater. IMAX I had no trouble at all hearing dialogue, with a couple misses with Ken's accent but thats just his accent. The theater, I did have trouble, but since I had seen it so many times, it just didn't matter. Any, by this experience, I think it has more to do with the sound system of the theater. See it in IMAX or a new theater?

bmneu wrote:I've seen it in IMAX twice and an older cheaper movie theater. IMAX I had no trouble at all hearing dialogue, with a couple misses with Ken's accent but thats just his accent. The theater, I did have trouble, but since I had seen it so many times, it just didn't matter. Any, by this experience, I think it has more to do with the sound system of the theater. See it in IMAX or a new theater?
I saw it in a new, non-IMAX theater.

I'll try to go see it in IMAX for my next viewing.

George wrote:Was I the only one having trouble hearing dialogue? Ken Watanabe was a whole other issue due to his accent (I probably made out less than half of what he said). But it seemed like the score would drown out lines from even the other actors, or at least make their lines difficult to hear at many points.

I was just looking through the quotes and didn't even realize this was something said in the movie :lol: :

Cobb: For this to work, we'd have to buy off the pilots...
Arthur: And we'd have to buy off the flight attendants...
Saito: I bought the airline.
[Everybody turns and stares at him. Saito just shrugs]
Saito: It seemed neater.
i so love the quote :) i would definitely see this great movie again in IMAX :)

I couldn't understand that line the first time I saw it either. But then, the audience laughed almost immediately so that also made it hard. They understood it I guess.

Part of it is the sound mix but part of it is the theaters themselves. They crank the damn surround channels louder than the center (dialogue) channel. Pisses me off. I saw it last night and literally could not hear a word that comes out of Ariadne's mouth when she yells at Cobb to go get Saito from limbo. There's a lot of sound effects during that scene because the city is collapsing. It's ridiculous IMHO that the theaters don't make sure the center channel is louder than the others. I don't give a damn about sound effects or music. I want to hear what the characters are saying. I felt hosed for paying $10 to see a movie where I could barely hear the dialogue throughout the film, and I felt even worse for the people who were seeing it for the first time under these conditions. At least I had seen it with good sound a few days ago at another theater.

I heard everything okay

I had some issues with Saito's lines too. But no issue with the music/sound mixing.