TDKR Reviews Discussion

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
ArmandFancypants wrote:Having seen the film I'm surprised the rating is that high, actually. It's going to be a very divisive work, moreso amongst the regular viewer than the critics.
Hmm, well I'm sure I'll find it at least a B grade film, as you can probably see by my sig :P

So you thinking there won't be much in the way of repeat viewings and total B.O Armand? I'm sure it's still gonna light things up this weekend though. Word of mouth won't get around until after this weekend I'd guess, but we shall see...
Memento: A+
Inception: A+
The Dark Knight: A
Interstellar: A-
The Prestige: A-
The Dark Knight Rises: A-
Batman Begins: B+
Following: B
Insomnia: B-

lcbaseball22 wrote:
ArmandFancypants wrote:Having seen the film I'm surprised the rating is that high, actually. It's going to be a very divisive work, moreso amongst the regular viewer than the critics.
Hmm, well I'm sure I'll find it at least a B grade film, as you can probably see by my sig...

So you thinking there won't be much in the way of repeat viewings and total B.O Armand? I'm sure it's still gonna light things up this weekend though. Word of mouth won't get around until after this weekend I'd guess.
I don't think its legs will be all that good, especially considering that
Batman is hardly in it, and it's very long
I can see a lot of people being turned off by that and the really wild and expansive, less pristine nature of the film in comparison to the tightly ratcheted TDK.
Ah, böwakawa! Poussé, poussé...

OT: Wilder Shaw ‏@SoapboxWilder
Bunch of people at TDKR midnight show dressed as The Joker. Hate to break it you guys, but...

:lol:
Truth is, sometimes I miss you so bad I can hardly stand it. - Jack Twist

ArmandFancypants wrote:
lcbaseball22 wrote:
Hmm, well I'm sure I'll find it at least a B grade film, as you can probably see by my sig...

So you thinking there won't be much in the way of repeat viewings and total B.O Armand? I'm sure it's still gonna light things up this weekend though. Word of mouth won't get around until after this weekend I'd guess.
I don't think its legs will be all that good, especially considering that
Batman is hardly in it, and it's very long
I can see a lot of people being turned off by that and the really wild and expansive, less pristine nature of the film in comparison to the tightly ratcheted TDK.
There definitely is a chance of that, no doubt, however lets not forget about Titanic and LOTR, all as long or longer and they done very well at the B.O. You never know.

ArmandFancypants wrote:It's going to be a very divisive work, moreso amongst the regular viewer than the critics.
Having just read the AskMen.com review the exact opposite is suggested as it's given a 97 guy appeal rating vs. 69 for critical appeal....

Gosh dangit...I shouldn't have read Ebert's review, it is way too spoilery :(

It definitely is more expansive than either of the two previous films, however those who have been following the series will understand why. The series has steadily grown to encompass a larger setting: in Batman Begins the focus is on the Narrows, in TDK the focus is on Gotham city, in TDKR the focus is on the world outside of Gotham. Gotham is very clearly made part of a larger country is this film; this film also introduces more background settings such as the prison just as Batman Begins did. The relationships between the characters in this film is in my opinion much more complex than those in the previous two. This complexity is enhanced by the drawing together of details from the previous two films: the League of Shadows, Ra's al Ghul, Dent. Its these included details that true followers of the series will appreciate:
Blake's moment standing amidst the bats in the bat cave, Gordon putting a coat around young Bruce's shoulders
As for whether this movie is less pristine than the other two, it is a war movie after all, an all out brawl takes place in the streets. Idk if pristine is the adjective they were going for when they made this movie.

The one thing that sticks out for me though, from this whole film, was the superb acting. I was extremely impressed with Hardy, JGL, and Hathaway. As for Caine, Bale, and Oldman, I'd expect nothing less than a fantastic performance :-D

Has this thread taken over the GI/plot speculation thread?

THE AVENGERS is more fun, but I believe TDKR is more fulfilling. So it will ultimately be ahead of THE AVENGERS in my year-end list.

- James Berardinelli

Unlike the rest of you overanxious nitwits, I'm going to see the film twice before I write my own review. You know I loved BB and TDK on the first viewing. But it wasn't until I got into my third and fourth viewings that I realized how good they were. TDKR sounds like it has a lot in it. I love how people think they can truly contemplate something so vast on the first view.