The themes of THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
Zez
I think this is the corollary to all of Nolan's films. Most of them have been about necessary lies, or lying for the sake of good. This film resolves the consequences of those lies. In fact, I think this is the first Nolan film to focus on the truth, not the lie. Alfred said it best:
Maybe it’s time we all stopped trying to outsmart the truth and just let it have its day.

Rising from the fall sums it up pretty well.

I think rises amplifies and explores the most prevailing quality of Bruce and the Batman symbol. The unrelenting effort to stay whole, despite debilitating odds. He, unlike Talia, Bane and other members of the league of shadows, believes that Gotham's time isn't up. That his city and its unbalanced hierarchy and infrastructure deserve a chance to recover. He has absolute faith that Gotham can endure the terror of an imminent death and can persist to offer much more.

The league of shadows serves as a severe negative regulation of a populace, seeking an absolute means to dissolve
cities with severe disparity. Their motive is to equalize everyone by giving a collective death sentence to the entire city.
Here the writers highlight the cruel nature of our left prefrontal cortices. The part of our brain that perceives
human beings as mobs, categorizing them into groups based on nationality, race, gender, religion etc.

The theme here being:
While categorization is useful (as without it we wouldn't have language), taken to the extreme it ignores all differences putting everything in the same category, leading to an absolute verdict that remains indifferent to all subjective and relative agents.
Absolutely categorizing everything, without paying attention to the intricate details is what vengeance and vendetta are all about.

One theme of Dark Knight Rises is sacrifice.

First Wayne is not ready to give it all, later he is.

If you look at BB - fate, TDK - chance, TDKR - as mentioned before numerous times, hope and despair.

SPOILERS -
Blake being the symbol of hope, the false hope given to the people of Gotham to teach them despair, the false hope Bane tries to give Wayne down the pit to cause him despair but the blind prisoner being the father figure he always needs and helping him with that, even the hope Wayne has towards Selina that she will do the right thing.

Hope is lame. Stay in the dark and wait for death.
"When art imitates life"

I wouldn't argue with Nolan as he already stated that the theme for that movie is "Pain". You know, as we can see .. EVERYBODY WAS IN PAIN. even the main villain BANE was in PAIN!

Neizar wrote:I wouldn't argue with Nolan as he already stated that the theme for that movie is "Pain". You know, as we can see .. EVERYBODY WAS IN PAIN. even the main villain BANE was in PAIN!
He also stated that another key theme was 'consequences', we see where our story was carried 8 years after doing something very life changing.
Brave New World

ryan4butler wrote:
Neizar wrote:I wouldn't argue with Nolan as he already stated that the theme for that movie is "Pain". You know, as we can see .. EVERYBODY WAS IN PAIN. even the main villain BANE was in PAIN!
He also stated that another key theme was 'consequences', we see where our story was carried 8 years after doing something very life changing.
speaking by "the 8 years" thing. I was just wondering, How Wayne was in that crippled situation the whole 8 years? Never went to doctor or something! That was pretty weird and I can see plot hole over here.

Neizar wrote:
ryan4butler wrote: He also stated that another key theme was 'consequences', we see where our story was carried 8 years after doing something very life changing.
speaking by "the 8 years" thing. I was just wondering, How Wayne was in that crippled situation the whole 8 years? Never went to doctor or something! That was pretty weird and I can see plot hole over here.
He doesn't want to be healed both physically and mentally. that's why Alfred was so worry.

Neizar wrote:
ryan4butler wrote: He also stated that another key theme was 'consequences', we see where our story was carried 8 years after doing something very life changing.
He didnt leave his house for anything. he went in to complete isolation. As they said, no one saw bruce for 8 years (except Alfred). And his leg problem got worst with lack of attention.
Brave New World