TDKR Academy Awards Predictions

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
There is no chance of individual acting noms, but I'd like to see the cast getting a SAG nomination for best ensemble. Even though they'll lose to Lincoln or Django in the end.

Great idea for a thread ! Big props to the op !

Here's my nomination predictions. To be honest I haven't spent much time at the cinema this year, but
remember how the Academy snubbed Peter Jackson on Fellowship of the Ring and two Towers, but he
kicked ass on Return of the King (and hey, I worked as an extra on the Hobbit, so I can tell you that
the Hobbit will probably be a contender in some categories).
Anyway, following that logic, Nolan got a couple of awards for TDK, a couple more for Inception
(which in my view was the best film of 2010, bar none, sigh.)

However, TDKR is very close to my heart. Actually, i don't think the shooting will hurt the film's
chances with the academy, particularly given the reaction from Chris NOlan and Christian Bale,
very good form indeed, very commendable.

Okay, here's nominations: Best Picture, Best Score, Best Director, Best Actor (yes, I think Bale did a superb job,
read the comments I put in the Christian Bale as Batman thread - and if Russell Crowe can win for Gladiator,
then Bale can win for TDKR), Best supporting Actor (tricky, probably Oldman or Caine, maybe JGL).
Best special effects, Best Sound editing, Best fight scene etc. okay now I'm getting silly.

But,
What will it actually win ? This year has been a bit light on dramas , there hasn't been anything with the
gravitas of the King's speech, Black Swan, The Social Network or True Grit ( wow, last year was big for dramas)
Nolan's Bat trilogy has a lot of fans among critics, and most of them agree that the film was the right ending to
the story. So unless something really surprising comes along, I think TDKR has a reasonabley chance,
at least 50% of getting best picture.

Best Director.....to be honest I think Inception was a better demonstration of Nolan's mastery of the craft, but
TDKR is on an epic scale, and best director often goes to epics. Nolan is recognised as a real power figure in
Hollywood, and Warner Bros golden boy (he's made them a billion bucks), and we all love his films or we
wouldn't be on this forum ! So he might just pull this one out, I'd say, unless the aforementioned drama
comes out he's got a 75% chance of winning. He's due the win.

Best picture.....too early to tell. We don't know what dramas are going to come out. But, TDKR was
certainly an emotive, gritty film that got people talking. It's an epic, and epics tend to win Oscars.
I'd say it'd be analogous to Jackson's ROTK, although I doubt it will win as many awards.
People like endings, and this is the ending to a great trilogy.
So, unless

Best Actor....Christian BAle. Well he got best supporting last year, so we know that the Academy rates
his talent. Plus, he has a tremendous transformation to go through by film's end, and...often the
best actor recipient plays a character who dies in the film and technically Batman dies (althogh Bruce
lives on). You can't fault Bale for his performance, the tricky bit would be figuring out which
clip you'd use at the Oscars.
Again, if Russel Crowe can win for Gladiator, then Bale can certainly win for this film.

Plus, Ledger's win on TDK opened the door for people to win awards for superhero movies (Chris Reeve got
nominated back in 1978 !) so who knows.
Again, it depends what the other strong performances are this year, but I would give Bale an 80% chance of
winning - but I am biased !

BEst supporting actor.....very hard, at least one out of Sir Michael Caine, Gary Oldman or JGL will get nominated
Tough to say who though ! Probably Caine's was the most emotive performance, Oldman was very solid,
and JGL kept the story afloat. I'd say one of these worthy chaps has a 50% chance of winning.

BEst visual effects, tough call, there's a strong challenge from the Avengers, but that football stadium
collapse might do it. 50%

Best Score: Bombastic but brilliant, certainly the best score so far this year. 80%, Hans Zimmer is the
successor to John Williams as greatest score composer in the world.

Best sound editing/mixing ? I really have no idea !

Best cinematography, Got to be Wally P. again. 90% chance of win.

There's my picks. Cheers !

RIFA wrote:Chance Percentage IMO

Best Picture (100%)
Best Sound Editing (95%)
Best Sound Mixing (95%)
Best Visual Effects (90%)
Best Cinematography (65%)
Best Director (60%)
Best Supporting Actress- Hathaway (50%)
Best Supporting Actor- Hardy (45%)
Best Art Direction (45%)
Best Original Score (40%)
Best Actor- Bale (30%)
Best Costume (25%)
Best Adapted Screenplay (20%)
Best Film Editing (10%)
Best Makeup (0%)
Wow
ComptonTerry wrote:Yeah JGL totally gonna win!
hilarious response but i'll leave it at this and this alone.. it feels good to be right. 8-)

Best Picture (20%)
Best Sound Editing (60%)
Best Sound Mixing (50%)
Best Visual Effects (20%)
Best Cinematography (15%)
Best Director (10%)
Best Supporting Actress- Hathaway (00%)
Best Supporting Actor- Hardy (00%)
Best Art Direction (00%)
Best Original Score (10%)
Best Actor- Bale (00%)
Best Costume (25%)
Best Film Editing (00%)
Best Makeup (0%)

Read more: http://www.nolanfans.com/forums/viewtop ... z2225kjZy2

Best Picture (100%)
Best Sound Editing (95%)
Best Sound Mixing (95%)
Best Director (60%)
Best Art Direction (45%)
Best Actor- Bale (30%)
Best Costume (25%)
Best Film Editing (10%)
Best Makeup (0%)
Forgot to add. This was a chance percentage for a nomination not for winning. :P

Best Picture (5%)
Best Sound Editing (40%)
Best Sound Mixing (30%)
Best Visual Effects (50%)
Best Cinematography (40%)
Best Director (0%)
Best Supporting Actress- Hathaway (0%)
Best Supporting Actor- Hardy (0%)
Best Art Direction (20%)
Best Original Score (0%)
Best Actor- Bale (0%)
Best Costume (25%)
Best Adapted Screenplay (0%)
Best Film Editing (0%)
Best Makeup (0%)

Chances for a nomination:

Best Picture (35%)
Best Sound Editing (60%)
Best Sound Mixing (35%)
Best Visual Effects (80%)
Best Cinematography (70%)
Best Director (25%)
Best Supporting Actress- Hathaway (15%)
Best Supporting Actor- Hardy (0%)
Best Art Direction (25%)
Best Original Score (50%)
Best Actor- Bale (5%)
Best Costume (15%)
Best Film Editing (30%)
Best Makeup (5%)

EDIT: these percentages do not reflect my view on how well the cast and crew of TDKR did in each category. For example: Bale is awesome as Bruce Wayne/Batman imo... but I know the Academy would never ever see past the suit (I gave 5% cause I'm all optimistic and what not).

RIFA wrote:

Best Picture (100%)
Best Sound Editing (95%)
Best Sound Mixing (95%)
Best Director (60%)
Best Art Direction (45%)
Best Actor- Bale (30%)
Best Costume (25%)
Best Film Editing (10%)
Best Makeup (0%)
Forgot to add. This was a chance percentage for a nomination not for winning. :P
I think you are out of touch with reality.

Visual Effect basically comes down between this and the Hobbit.

Zez
Again, I don't think this will get nominated for any major ones. Or even technical, at that. My TDKR AA hopes are over.

And I really, really hope I eat these words.

I'm investing all of my Academy Awards stock in The Master and Django Unchained.