Opening shot semiotics; TDK vs TDKR

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
I don't know if it's been pointed out, but from a theoretical, semiotic point of view, the opening shot of TDK is a top-down view over Gotham. Pointing down is a way to present the city from above, but it also foreshadows Batman's future.

This didnt become evident to me until I saw the prologue, which begins with a slow tracking upwards of the camera, signifying Batman's rise.

We have a view looking down, and now we are looking up. The Dark Knight Rises.

Just a thought.

My post from a few weeks ago...
In TDK, one person theorized that the possible meaning to the opening shot was that it represented the Joker's introduction of chaos to the order of Gotham. The film starts off with a normal city, and closes in on a building. And then suddenly, the glass of the building shatters. The glass of the building represents the constructed order of the city, and the shattering of the glass represents Joker's ability to destroy that order.

In TDKR, (Gordon aside) we simply see long strains of grass blowing in the wind. Then as the camera rises, we see a jeep has been driving on top it. Then on the inside of it, is Bane's team.

Now if I had to guess, I'd say the grass represents that natural essence of the world, basically the element of untouched nature. But in the prologue as we continue to watch, we see that there has been a jeep of terrorists on top of it the whole time. My theory is that it's making a point that below the surface of what we see as beautiful and good, is something terrifying taking place, something waiting to strike and destroy.

This represents the fact that Gotham is in "peace time" and seems like everything is good, yet the citizens have no idea that Bane is planning to destroy everything during the midst of this "peace".

What do you guys think?

MiracleSleeper wrote:My post from a few weeks ago...
In TDK, one person theorized that the possible meaning to the opening shot was that it represented the Joker's introduction of chaos to the order of Gotham. The film starts off with a normal city, and closes in on a building. And then suddenly, the glass of the building shatters. The glass of the building represents the constructed order of the city, and the shattering of the glass represents Joker's ability to destroy that order.

In TDKR, (Gordon aside) we simply see long strains of grass blowing in the wind. Then as the camera rises, we see a jeep has been driving on top it. Then on the inside of it, is Bane's team.

Now if I had to guess, I'd say the grass represents that natural essence of the world, basically the element of untouched nature. But in the prologue as we continue to watch, we see that there has been a jeep of terrorists on top of it the whole time. My theory is that it's making a point that below the surface of what we see as beautiful and good, is something terrifying taking place, something waiting to strike and destroy.

This represents the fact that Gotham is in "peace time" and seems like everything is good, yet the citizens have no idea that Bane is planning to destroy everything during the midst of this "peace".

What do you guys think?
but the jeep is not below the surface..its on top of it..

mchekhov wrote:
MiracleSleeper wrote:My post from a few weeks ago...
but the jeep is not below the surface..its on top of it..
Below the surface is saying, it doesn't literally mean "below the surface" it means what's really happening behind the appearance of what is visible. We see the grass, that's all that is visible, but sealed from are appearance is that a jeep is driving on top of it, holding Bane, we don't discover this till a few seconds later.

i think its more meant to be a very kinetic shot in nature, to give the feeling and impression of a wild animal, which serves as an introduction to Bane, who is someone characterized as a silverback gorilla.

mchekhov wrote:i think its more meant to be a very kinetic shot in nature, to give the feeling and impression of a wild animal, which serves as an introduction to Bane, who is someone characterized as a silverback gorilla.
What animal would Batman be characterized as?

MiracleSleeper wrote:
mchekhov wrote:i think its more meant to be a very kinetic shot in nature, to give the feeling and impression of a wild animal, which serves as an introduction to Bane, who is someone characterized as a silverback gorilla.

i dont think he would be...he's the dark knight

MiracleSleeper wrote:
a BAT! and the joker is a "dog", the catwoman a "cat", scarecrow a "crow or raven". The little mannerisms each of the characters have mimics their animal counterparts.. like the joker licking his lips, sticking his head out the car, his hunched shoulders, arched head and ticks. The scarecrow even cocks his head, like a crow inspecting something, during the scene when he gases rachel and batman sneaks in.. when he says "the batmaan!... what anyone else does when a prowler come around..."

JonnyT23 wrote:
MiracleSleeper wrote: What animal would Batman be characterized as?
a BAT! and the joker is a "dog", the catwoman a "cat", scarecrow a "crow or raven". The little mannerisms each of the characters have mimics their animal counterparts.. like the joker licking his lips, sticking his head out the car, his hunched shoulders, arched head and ticks. The scarecrow even cocks his head, like a crow inspecting something, during the scene when he gases rachel and batman sneaks in.. when he says "the batmaan!... what anyone else does when a prowler come around..."
+1

The Jeep symbolises Alfred.
Do you... like pineapple?