Darren Aronofsky’s Batman

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
Actually I wish this had been made.

Darren Aronofsky’s Batman – If you think that Christopher Nolan’s take on Batman is ‘realistic,’ Darren Aronofsky’s probably would have made you shit your pants. Aronofsky worked with Frank Miller on a script that adapted the comic book story Batman: Year One into a grim, violent R-rated feature.

The Batman franchise was up in the air after the disastrous Batman & Robin. Warner Bros began looking for a new direction; for a little while they considered adapting the cartoon Batman Beyond as a live-action movie, and they even entertained bringing Joel Schumacher back for Batman 5. But they also talked extensively with Darren Aronofsky, who had well-cemented his reputation as an edgy auteur. They went back and forth with him, and even brought in the Wachowski Bros to pitch a concept to Aronofsky.

Aronofsky wasn’t interested in making anything that resembled a Batman film that had come before. He also wasn’t interested in hewing close to Miller’s original comics. This film saw Bruce Wayne wandering the streets after the murder of his parents; he’s taken in by an auto mechanic named Big Al (Aronofsky’s version of Alfred). Bruce grows up a borderline psychotic who begins taking violent vengeance on street thugs. He turns an abandoned subway station below Big Al’s auto shop into his version of the Batcave. He puts a bus engine in a black Lincoln Continental as his version of the Batmobile. Over the course of the story he assembles the elements of the costume and persona of Batman (or The Bat-Man, as he’s called).

This Batman is the reality of what a guy in a costume beating up criminals would be like – insane, overdramatic, barely likable. The audience identification character in this script is really young cop Jim Gordon, the only clean officer in the entire Gotham City PD. Meanwhile, The Joker, Harvey Dent and Selina Kyle all show up.

Aronofsky’s script never got made, but its influence is evident on Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. The idea of a reboot began with Aronofsky, and he initially met with Christian Bale for the role of Bruce Wayne. The craziest thing about Aronofsky’s take, though, isn’t that it didn’t get made, it’s that Warner Bros considered an R-rated ultraviolent lunatic Batman movie for that long.

Sure there is already a thread for this, plus this kind of thread does not belong in this section.

Some other thread... Please.

That sounds atrocious.
"It doesn't matter how you get knocked down in life because that's going to happen. All that matters is you gotta get up."

Perhaps the worst idea I've ever heard :suicide:

And I don't care for Aronofsky either. :suicide: :suicide:

EctoCooler31 wrote:Perhaps the worst idea I've ever heard :suicide:

Wow.

And WTF

xWhereAmI? wrote:
EctoCooler31 wrote:Perhaps the worst idea I've ever heard :suicide:

Wow.

And WTF

You like this idea?
"It doesn't matter how you get knocked down in life because that's going to happen. All that matters is you gotta get up."

itll be like taxi driver if deniro was even crazier and dressed up like a bat. YES!

I do like the idea, but not for Batman.
Aronofsky can still make this movie as a new kind of superhero movie. Not based on a comic, like Unbreakable and Hancock (though ofcourse way more dark).
David emerges from the store slowly. He braces himself against a parked car and then keeps on walking in a nightmarish daze.

WE PULL BACK as David blends in with dozens and dozens of ordinary people, walking on an ordinary street, in an ordinary city.

Big Al, huh? Thank Jeebus it didn't get made. It would have been another horrible Batman movie after B&R, just at the other end of the sh*t spectrum. Btw, I say this as a fan of Aronofsky's work.