How Do You Define 'End'?

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
Every single cast member, every crew member, every trailer and poster has suggested one clear and blatant sentiment: This is the end.

Now, knowing Nolan as well as we all do, nothing is every quite as it seems. He is very direct, but at the same time very manipulative. He's a liar (in a nice way). It's difficult to grasp exactly why they are pushing so hard to emphasize the end. And I can't figure out if they are trying to prepare everybody for a dead Batman or what. Based on what we've seen so far, it basically looks like they are going to bring Batman to the very edge of death, only to let him rise to the occasion and truly fulfill the hero role. It just feels so in your face that they are screaming, BATMAN WILL DIE!, and that if they do it enough, they will have us believing it enough so that when Bane breaks the Bat, we will believe it and be shocked when he rises from the pain.

I understand the idea that they are reinforcing they won't make a 4th one themselves, but I find it hard to believe all this effort is just for that. They are making very suggestive comments about the direction of the plot. What are your thoughts?

NOTE: This is not a "Will Batman Die" thread. I know that exists. This is a thread about interpreting the true meaning of "The Legend Ends"

yeah, the title 'legend ends' sound little odd..someone explain

Legend would suggest that it is in the same realm as "myth" if you ask me. A legend ending feels more like a revelation than a death. If he were to die, I'd think the legend would BEGIN there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIEXlEkYvos

"But if you make yourself more than just a man, if you devote yourself to an ideal, and if they can't stop you, then you become something else entirely."

"Legend Mr. Wayne"

When I think the Legend Ends, I think that Bane finally stops him (aka breaks him, beats him, defeats him). Something that the Joker tried to do but could not physically do it, but came very close to mentally. I do not think Bruce will die. After all the Dark Knight will Rise.

it will end in a definitive way...as in Bruce can no longer be Batman in Gotham

that means either:
1. He is dead
2. He is severely injured to the point where he cant fulfill his duty as batman
3. Gotham is destroyed.

He lets the Batman persona die because its no longer needed.

mchekhov wrote:it will end in a definitive way...as in Bruce can no longer be Batman in Gotham

that means either:
1. He is dead
3. Gotham is destroyed.
My reply to this is...

1. Chris Nolan respects Batman too much to kill him.
2. Chris Nolan respects Batman too much to injure him for life.
3. Chris Nolan respects Gotham too much to destroy it.

Look, I actually WANT Batman to die. I want him to die with dignity and honor and for the good of Gotham, further inspiring the city to protect itself instead of relying on him. I WANT THAT. But I find it hard to believe that Nolan can convince himself to kill Batman/Bruce Wayne unless he two-times us by having Batman fake his own death in front of Gotham and then Bruce Wayne lives on watching the city protect itself. It's hard to see a filmmaker who put so much time and effort into this character kill him in any fashion. Yet, I want it to happen. And if he does it, I'll have so much respect for Nolan it will ooze from my pores - I already have the ultimate respect for him as it is.

eisentower30 wrote:
mchekhov wrote:it will end in a definitive way...as in Bruce can no longer be Batman in Gotham

that means either:
1. He is dead
3. Gotham is destroyed.
My reply to this is...

my response to that is..

1. Respect for material doesnt mean you won't kill a character...that actually means you respect the material more, because you're willing to make a creative decision to be of SERVICE to the material
2. see number 1
3. You have to raise the stakes....how else could this be an "epic conclusion" unless you take it to the next level

like i said...those are the only 3 ways this series can have a definitive end, in the way that Chris Nolan has described it....anything else, leaves the possibility of a sequel...so It'll be one of those 3 scenarios, 100%

mchekhov wrote:
eisentower30 wrote:
My reply to this is...

my response to that is..

1. Respect for material doesnt mean you won't kill a character...that actually means you respect the material more, because you're willing to make a creative decision to be of SERVICE to the material
2. see number 1
3. You have to raise the stakes....how else could this be an "epic conclusion" unless you take it to the next level

like i said...those are the only 3 ways this series can have a definitive end, in the way that Chris Nolan has described it....anything else, leaves the possibility of a sequel...so It'll be one of those 3 scenarios, 100%
I hope you are right. I really do. I only present a counter-argument for discussion's sake.

you actually have a misunderstanding of what it is to respect something

if you respect something and care about something, that means you HAVE to take it away, in terms of story telling....thats how you create drama

if Chris didnt have respect for any of those things, and the audience didnt, it would be pointless to take them away because it would not result in Drama...the audience simply wouldnt care, neither would Chris.