Edit Voice or Pedal Faster?

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.

Do you think the Voice requires editing?

Poll ended at December 27th, 2011, 4:45 pm

No, I hear him fine/ I want the voice to stay as it is because it is important to the performance
68%
Yes, they need to edit the voice, because I will be irritated when i can't fully make out what Bane is saying
32%

Total votes: 104

jibran wrote:http://badassdigest.com/2011/12/20/chri ... way-it-is/

Decent article. Favourite part was:
Yesterday the internets were ablaze with a battle between people who had a hard time hearing Bane's dialogue in the Dark Knight Rises prologue and trailer and the hyperzealous Batjihadists who wanted to burn them alive to make them repent for daring speak out in any way against any creative decisions made by Our Holy Lord Christopher Nolan, Sexless Aesthete Of The British Order Of Wonky Directors.
I'd suggest avoiding BAD for any coverage of TDKR and, to a lesser degree, other Nolan films. While Devin genuinely loved INCEPTION, he does a lot of baiting for Bat- and Nolan fans. He's written more than once he finds Batman as a character "boring" and despite being a ridiculous fanboy himself for certain properties (SCOTT PILGRIM, frex), he gets off on lobbing verbal bombs regarding Nolan's take on Batman.

I have seen the prologue only twice. I saw it once in IMAX just yesterday and again last night on bootleg.

And before I go and find a bootleg to watch a few hundred more times I want to express one last opinion. I missed some dialogue in the first round in IMAX. But it didn't bother me. Enjoyed the prologue nonetheless and Tom's performance. I caught %99 of the dialogue in just the second bootleg viewing. Of course I was paying very close attention at that point.

But I can understand why people would have difficulty hearing the voice. It would be ignorant and stupid for us that do understand the dialogue to pretend that it is totally clear. You do have to "Pedal Faster" and pay attention.

But you see people, that is the point! Part of the experience of Bane is the fact that he would be hard to fully understand with not just a mask but some sort of breathing apparatus consuming his mouth and jaw. Vocals do not come clearly from something like that. Part of Bane's character and Tom's performance is a guy that would have difficulty annunciating wearing a mask like that. It's all part of the experience.

In my opinion, one of the ultimate goals of filmmaking is creating a picture the audiences needs to go back and watch a few times to soak it all in. Not only needs but wants to. I think Bane will be so interesting that people are going to want to go back and understand.

So yes, I back Chris in feeling that people need to keep up and get into the experience. If you talked to Bane in real life you would have a hard time understanding him. And Bane is not the type of guy you would ask to repeat himself so you damn well better listen up.

I seriously think this is so much ado about nothing. I actually think that Nolan will edit the mix a bit and even if Bane is still hard to understand upon release I think he'll be heard better throughout the rest of the film. I think it's the prologue with all the commotion that's more the problem than anything else.

Lastly, for all the complaining I've heard is anyone visiting this forum not going to see this film... I rest my case. :judge:

His lines will become catchphrases!

Addicted2Movies wrote:Another case of the media trying to make up everyone's mind before they've actually seen the movie.
http://movies.ign.com/articles/121/1215178p1.html
They're already comparing him to iconic characters such as Vito Corleone! Awesome! ;)

To be honest, only .5% of the movie audience reads websites like these. And, if the fanboy audience is actually letting guys like Devin influence their views on anything, they're being idiotic. I know the internet's all about hivemind thinking, but that's just stupid.

The voice (in the trailer at least) is perfectly clear, if it's less distorted and muffled, it'll lose its power. Half of Bane's presence is the way he moves, the gestures that are like words. The other half are the words themselves.
When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die - that can't sound more perfect than it is. Nolan should know that, he put it there.

Pedal faster.

Nolan can do whatever the fuck he wants because he knows what he's doing and we don't.

anonymity wrote:I have seen the prologue only twice. I saw it once in IMAX just yesterday and again last night on bootleg.

And before I go and find a bootleg to watch a few hundred more times I want to express one last opinion. I missed some dialogue in the first round in IMAX. But it didn't bother me. Enjoyed the prologue nonetheless and Tom's performance. I caught %99 of the dialogue in just the second bootleg viewing. Of course I was paying very close attention at that point.

But I can understand why people would have difficulty hearing the voice. It would be ignorant and stupid for us that do understand the dialogue to pretend that it is totally clear. You do have to "Pedal Faster" and pay attention.

But you see people, that is the point! Part of the experience of Bane is the fact that he would be hard to fully understand with not just a mask but some sort of breathing apparatus consuming his mouth and jaw. Vocals do not come clearly from something like that. Part of Bane's character and Tom's performance is a guy that would have difficulty annunciating wearing a mask like that. It's all part of the experience.

In my opinion, one of the ultimate goals of filmmaking is creating a picture the audiences needs to go back and watch a few times to soak it all in. Not only needs but wants to. I think Bane will be so interesting that people are going to want to go back and understand.

So yes, I back Chris in feeling that people need to keep up and get into the experience. If you talked to Bane in real life you would have a hard time understanding him. And Bane is not the type of guy you would ask to repeat himself so you damn well better listen up.

I seriously think this is so much ado about nothing. I actually think that Nolan will edit the mix a bit and even if Bane is still hard to understand upon release I think he'll be heard better throughout the rest of the film. I think it's the prologue with all the commotion that's more the problem than anything else.

Lastly, for all the complaining I've heard is anyone visiting this forum not going to see this film... I rest my case. :judge:

Lance Armstrong, you're my ni...

apw
Just got back from seeing it in IMAX. Only missed 1 line. Don't know what the fuss is about.

Pedal faster :judge: