[SPOILERS] The Instrument of Your Liberation

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
We've all been speculating what the Doomsday Machine is. Imagine....
....Bane storms onto the field at a football game. The device goes off. Instantly, everything powers down and they lose all the live feeds from the game (think Superbowl).

The device is not an earthquake machine, but an EMP device.
emp_bomb.jpg
http://io9.com/5855753/is-this-banes-ul ... ight-rises
This is a very interesting development, because it actually reveals something about the philosophy of Bane and the League of Shadows.
By wanting to destroy technology, they are returning Gotham to a simpler, more barbaric way of life where armed thugs can literally take over the city with clubs and knives.

If you have ever lived through a power outage that lasted more than a few hours (i.e. the big one that swept Southern California and Arizona in September 2011), you know how frightening and chaotic of a situation it can create.
:batman:

so then how is the field destroyed?

mchekhov wrote:so then how is the field destroyed?
It's still a bomb. Ground zero would be pretty busted up.

darkest_knight wrote:
mchekhov wrote:so then how is the field destroyed?

so it explodes and destroys the electromagnetic field?

mchekhov wrote:
darkest_knight wrote:

There are so many implications because of this new development... so my speculations go in spoiler tags. 8-)
We know they are filming at the New York stock exchange. Imagine an EMP wiping out the computers that control the stock market? Imagine bank mainframes being wiped out? Imagine all vehicles, trains, buses, traffic signals, elevators, escalators, smart phones... nothing working. Not even microwaves. You can't turn on a light. You can't cook. You can't communicate with the outside world. Subway trains would crash. Planes would come down. The economy would collapse. One device. One detonation.
And regarding your earlier question about damage to Heinz field....
....look at the diagram. Damn thing's loaded with T.N.T. Bye bye football players.

Yeah I can see that. Very interesting
{=}

darkest_knight wrote:
mchekhov wrote:

There are so many implications because of this new development... so my speculations go in spoiler tags. 8-)
We know they are filming at the New York stock exchange. Imagine an EMP wiping out the computers that control the stock market? Imagine bank mainframes being wiped out? Imagine all vehicles, trains, buses, traffic signals, elevators, escalators, smart phones... nothing working. Not even microwaves. You can't turn on a light. You can't cook. You can't communicate with the outside world. Subway trains would crash. Planes would come down. The economy would collapse. One device. One detonation.
....look at the diagram. Damn thing's loaded with T.N.T. Bye bye football players.
but if the device exploded in the field, how did he bring out later on?

mchekhov wrote:
darkest_knight wrote:
The sequence of the filming could have been off. Or, more likely, Bane detonated a smaller, prototype version and has a second one ready to go.

darkest_knight wrote:
mchekhov wrote:
The sequence of the filming could have been off. Or, more likely, Bane detonated a smaller, prototype version and has a second one ready to go.
when they brought the device out, the field was already destroyed. I think the EMP is an interesting idea, but all evidence points to it being an Earthquake generator.

mchekhov wrote:
darkest_knight wrote:
when they brought the device out, the field was already destroyed. I think the EMP is an interesting idea, but all evidence points to it being an Earthquake generator.
The only "evidence" I have seen is crumbling buildings in the teaser, which could be symbolic, and the raised platform at the Heinz field shoot. I haven't really seen a smoking gun that it's an earthquake machine. An earthquake machine is also a very interesting plot device, and has been the assumption I've had up until this day. But an EMP machine seems much more calculated, driven by a deeper philosophy than "I want to destroy the city." A mastermind villain would use the EMP machine to collapse Gotham, but for the most part keep people alive. Gotham would devour itself.

The scenes where the Batpod picks it up could easily be to stop a much larger EMP device. There could be multiple devices, etc.