TDKR IMAX prologue

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
thedisabledcubicle wrote:
DoubleD wrote:
I don't see it happening. Nolan obviously wants the prologue to been seen the way it should. And I respect that. I'll be one many who doesn't get to see it for this reason. The closet real Imax to me is Orlando and that's a six hour drive. And I just can't justify driving six hours for six minutes. So I'll either have to have extreme will power, or watch inevitable shaky cam rip that will pop up over the weekend.
A decent version will leak. I don't have a clue how an IMAX theatre works, but if it's digital there must be a way of recording the output as it goes between hard-drive/disc and projector.
People are discussing how they won't be able to see if it's not in digital IMAX theaters. But, even if it was digital, you can't record from the drive. You can't play the hard-drive's information without IMAX's software, and you can't download IMAX software on a regular computer (you can't download it at all since they don't give the theaters the discs).

A decent version will leak. I don't have a clue how an IMAX theatre works, but if it's digital there must be a way of recording the output as it goes between hard-drive/disc and projector.
Oh shit; scratch that... and forget getting anything other than a shaky cam or official release. IMAX projectors are nuts.
In an IMAX projector, the film is so heavy and large that a projector cannot use a claw to move it, and it is hard to hold such a big film frame perfectly flat with respect to the lens. Therefore, an IMAX projector is completely different from a normal projector:
•The film moves through it horizontally rather than vertically.
•A vacuum system sucks each image onto a piece of glass in front of the lens so that the image is oriented perfectly in front of the lens.
•The shutter opens for a longer period of time than on a normal projector in order to let more light through. The bulb for the projector is a 15,000-watt, water-cooled xenon unit.
All of this advanced technology means that an IMAX projector weighs over 2 tons (1,800 kilograms) -- the equivalent of a small car! That's what it takes to get such a bright, clear image onto such a tremendous screen.
Yeah, they're pretty fucking ridiculous. This is one of them.

Although you do make me wonder if part of the reason Nolan's not releasing the prologue in digital IMAX is due to piracy/leak concerns. It is significantly easier for a theater employee to rip a version when it's digital compared to when it's on film.

If I didn't have my daughters the weekend MI:GP opens, I'd be tempted to make the 6 hour drive to Chicago for this.

DoubleD wrote:
Neither do I. I've actually never even watched a film in Imax. Still looking for the right film to pop my Imax cherry. 8-)
Same. TDKR will be my first IMAX film. IMAX is freakin expensive, but TDKR will be worth every penny.

Beetles wrote:
DoubleD wrote:
Neither do I. I've actually never even watched a film in Imax. Still looking for the right film to pop my Imax cherry. 8-)
Same. TDKR will be my first IMAX film. IMAX is freakin expensive, but TDKR will be worth every penny.
Yes it will. Yes it will.
"It doesn't matter how you get knocked down in life because that's going to happen. All that matters is you gotta get up."

EnzoTheBaker wrote:
Oh shit; scratch that... and forget getting anything other than a shaky cam or official release. IMAX projectors are nuts.
Yeah, they're pretty fucking ridiculous. This is one of them.

Although you do make me wonder if part of the reason Nolan's not releasing the prologue in digital IMAX is due to piracy/leak concerns. It is significantly easier for a theater employee to rip a version when it's digital compared to when it's on film.
Agreed.

Found out last night there is no IMAX within driving distance that will have the Dark Knight Rises footage ahead of MI:4. :-(

I don't know of a list of IMAX theaters that specify 70mm or TDKR. Call your local theater to ask.
https://twitter.com/#%21/screenrant

:problem:

Well, great. I just found out the incredible IMAX theater near me is now IMAX Digital :x

http://www.vasc.org/imax/

There's another one fairly close but I can't seem to figure out whether or not it's digital.

George wrote:Well, great. I just found out the incredible IMAX theater near me is now IMAX Digital :x

http://www.vasc.org/imax/

There's another one fairly close but I can't seem to figure out whether or not it's digital.
Welcome to my pain.