[SPOILERS] The Final Scene

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
Okay
so I want to hear theories on how Batman switched the Bats at the end so he lived. I have a theory but I want to hear you guys and see if there is anything I missed.

So... where is Balefan at? :lol:

In all seriousness,
the cafe scene got a lot of scrutiny here, but the theater I was at erupted into cheers when Bruce was shown to be alive with Selina.

DesertTurtle wrote:So... where is Balefan at? :lol:

In all seriousness,
the cafe scene got a lot of scrutiny here, but the theater I was at erupted into cheers when Bruce was shown to be alive with Selina.
Same Here. My theater went nuts.

dustbust5 wrote:As posted elsewhere: A full analysis of the ending's purpose:

When the film begins, Bruce Wayne is dead for all intents and purposes, his body just hasn't gotten the message yet (Physical vs. the spirit was a theme in the film). He is TRAPPED, wounded by the perversion of the Batman, The Joker has destroyed him deep down. Alfred knows that this is how Bruce dies, he's dead inside and clearly suffering. When Bruce bites at the concept of going back out in the field, despite a noticeable limp, Alfred knows what it is, it's suicide, the Batman equivalent of suicide by cop. It is here that Alfred breaks down and explains he knows onlt death waits for Bruce in Gotham, this is why his image of seeing Bruce in Paris ends up not being him at this point. Because Bruce is dead, his spirit died along with Harvey.

*Note: I do not mean spirit spiritually in any way, I'm not trying to take this to a religious place, I just mean his inner self.

It should be noted that, starting with the second to last scene in Begins with Katie Holmes atop the Wayne Manor rubble, the series has been clear that Bruce deep down is Batman, and it's Bruce Wayne as everyone else sees him that really is the alter ego. Again, Bruce deep down is Batman, this is the key to the character throughout and the key to the ending.

Now fast forward to the pit, where we directly (too directly IMO) deal with the concept that Bruce's being dead inside is killing Batman via a conversation with the doctor dude. He tells Bruce that fear is necessary, will to live drives strength, there's no greater motivator then not wanting to die. In response, Bruce does the jump without the rope, making it because he had to. The message: the physical is overrated and not the source of Batman's strength. It is the spirit, the life that yearns to survive and succeed in it's mission, that pushes Bruce and thus Batman. When Bruce climbs out of the pit, he is reborn, he's for all intents and purposes got his swagger back.

Now to the Selina scene. She asks Bruce to come away with her, saying that he doesn't owe this city anymore. He doesn't agree, he's not free until his mission is over. As of now, if Bruce were to perish, so would Gotham, as long as that's the case, his spirit will continued to be trapped. Key, it's SELINA proposing going away together, this is important, it creates leaving with Selina, who's stated goal is to wipe the slate clean as the image of Bruce being free of the devotion he feels to Gotham.

Now the end. Bruce, after Robin and Selina both prove to help save the day following batman's lead, decides to sacrifice himself to save the city. He is alive, batman is doing exactly what it's meant to do, directly inspiring people to act, people who are capable of taking his place. Taking the wrap for Harvey killed him inside, everything he is and means to be was perverted by a necessary lie. Now, through the events of this film, Bruce is not only alive, he has succeeded, he has inspired someone who can take his place and thus he is allowed finality. His spirit, which he has made clear feels obligated entirely to Gotham, is now free, essentially because the presence of Robin when it comes down to it. It is with this that he knows his journey has come to an end, he sees exactly how his story ends, he sacrifices himself to save the city, becoming a martyr symbol and fulfilling his destiny to defeat The League of Shadows by inspiring people to act. His father's death, remember, inspired the city and defeated Ra's financially before BB. This is Bruce's destiny, this is the completion of his mission to fulfill his father's goals in a more theatrical, emphatic fashion. When Bruce's father died, Gotham lost it's leader, leaving Bruce feeling like his soul, his spirit, is permanently devoted to filling his father's shoes. He is finally free.

Now, when he dies, Alfred is heartbroken, he feels like he's failed Bruce. Following this scene however comes the montage of positivity, the city is idolizing him and rebuilding inspired by him, a statue of batman is revealed. And, finally, a successor who followed Bruce has been found. It is now that Afred finally understands, or comes to terms with that Bruce was Batman, that's who he was, that's what his fate was. His life, his soul, it all was symbolized by Batman, Bruce Wayne the man meant nothing to him, living as Bruce Wayne playboy was internal death to him, But the Batman's triumph and mythical stature means Bruce is alive, because Bruce deep down was Batman, his soul was Batman. Alfred finally understands that there is no seperating the two. The successful creation and stability of the Batman symbol, and it's continuing beyond Bruce himself, Is Bruce's version of retiring in Europe with a girl. That's the fate that has represented freedom to him since his parents were taken, and his true love as well. He couldn't rest until Gotham was fixed, so he could never go away to Europe.

Thus, final shot was an appreciation of Bruce being alive metaphorically, via the statue, the rebuilt light, and of course Robin. It didn't mean he survived and escaped to Europe, where he could literally live FREE. It meant that Alfred understands, and thus we can understand, that his spirit is now FREE, Alfred can smile now knowing he did well by Bruce, that was always what the dream was about.

Selina's inclusion is a bit confusing admittedly, but it is about her proposal. It's simply a matter of, at that moment, Selina defines Bruce being free of his obligation to Gotham by going away with her. That's why she's in the final shot.

This is the end that perfectly wraps up the series, Bruce was always headed for a fate of sacrifice as a man for the sake of Batman. He believes, naively, in BB, that Batman can be a 5 year plan or whatever. But it's made clear, and emphasized with the failure of Dent, that that was not realistic. He was destined to be Batman until he dies, and the only thing that could replace Batman's role is, well, Batman. The end of Bruce the man was always meant to be one with the successful mythification of The Batman. This has long been Bruce's destiny, and this was the point of the final shot.

So let's all please shut up about whether or not the auto pilot was fixed, the ending was much bigger, more final, and more meaningful then that. This is Nolan, after-all.
LMAO. Way to completely twist things.
He is not dead. This has been confirmed by everyone who has seen it. The autopilot was fixed and Batman's body was not found in the BAT. He was alive. He's starting a new life with Selina in France. They both erased their pasts and started fresh. Alfred even says in the start that he wanted to see him at the cafe with a wife and perhaps kids. Alfred gets that. It is not an open ending. Bruce did not die. He gave Blake the coordinates, he gave Gordan the new Bat signal. Just ebcause you did not get what you want, please don't twist things. The entire theme of this series was Bruce moving on from Batman and the pain of his parents' death and getting a life. Killing him would have made no sense, which is why it didn't happen. No dead body, because he's alive. And including Selina was done on purpose by Nolan just in case anyone chose to force themself to think that he died. It didn't happen. He didn't die. Get over it.

I'm very happy with the ending.
Bruce finally gets what he lost all those years ago in that alley: a chance to be happy again.

SilverHeart wrote:I'm very happy with the ending.
Bruce finally gets what he lost all those years ago in that alley: a chance to be happy again.
Full review?

SilverHeart wrote:I'm very happy with the ending.
Exactly. That's the point of this series.
As Nolan and Bale said, he has to get over his pain and move on with his life. How long can he let pain dictate things? Killing him would go against the entire concept of this series. Nolan couldn't have made things more obvious, and yet, dustbust is ignoring half the movie and the entire point of the series and the ending. Sad to see that one person not being able to accept that he didn't die, as if you need the hero to die to have a good movie.

This movies' ending couldn't have made me happier. I initially
was worried about the John Blake thing, but that was because the description made it seem like the case with the SUIT in it was what rose, not the large landing platform.

I just Love how Gordon is SO happy when he realizes the bat symbol is fixed. His awe and his excitement is awesome!
I didnt catch that last night.
Cant wait to see it again! :D :D :D

So here is mu question.... when Bruce spins the top.... does it actually fall?

In all seriousness to the guy who is saying he is really dead.... come on man.... the movie makes a specific effort to point out hat the auto pilot feature was fixed, thus letting us know that he was not dead.

This movie was incredible. I swear Anne Hathaway should get a supporting actress nod. She was AMAZING!!!