[SPOILERS] The Final Scene

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
Posts: 554
Joined: June 2010
idealist wrote:
RIFA wrote: That's exactly the point of their relationship.
Well that is double standards and hypocrisy and I have lost all respect for Bruce.
Cool story, bro :twothumbsup:

Posts: 21411
Joined: June 2010
Location: All-Hail Master Virgo, Censor of NolanFans
idealist wrote:
RIFA wrote: That's exactly the point of their relationship.
Well that is double standards and hypocrisy and I have lost all respect for Bruce.
sigh. i hope you're joking.

Posts: 40
Joined: April 2012
RIFA wrote:
idealist wrote:
Well that is double standards and hypocrisy and I have lost all respect for Bruce.
sigh. i hope you're joking.
I most certainly am not joking.

Bruce turning a blind eye to the crimes committed by Selina is hypocrisy of the highest order which will completely undermine everything these films have stood for and also the forced happy ending with Bruce and Selina happily and smugly retiring to a life in Paris (and he doesn't even bother to tell Alfred) and then some cop suddenly becoming Batman is closing the trilogy on a false and insincere note which not only undermines everything the first two films achieved but also takes the power away from the first two films and also corrupts them rendering them meaningless.

Posts: 51
Joined: July 2012
You know, after you've seen it, you might not feel the same way about the ending.
It may sound a bit off, but it plays out well on the big screen.
Really, after all the crap the characters go through, especially Bruce, it's hard not to feel he deserves a
fresh start. Also, Selina is portrayed as someone who only takes from those who already have far more
than they need. She's a bit morally ambiguous, rather than immoral, and at the end she does do right by
Batman and the people of Gotham. Check it out, really, seeing the film is the only way to judge if
for yourself. Cheers.

Posts: 40
Joined: April 2012
Batmannerism wrote:Actually, about the final scene.... MASSIVE SPOILER...
yes, the cafe thing happens at the end, although after all the shit Bruce has been through ( in 3 movies, and
the last 3 hours in particular) I'd be surprised if you'd begrudge him starting a new life with Selina.
The implication, via the 'clean slate" program is that she wants to go straight, or get a new start, and
this is also what Bruce desperately needs, to move on.
Go see the film, and as I said, I'd be surprised if you felt the ending diminished your respect for Bruce.

Now, the real spoiler is that the cafe scene is NOT the final scene of the movie. The last things you see
is Blake, having swung through the waterfall, walking through the pool towards the foundations.
As he crosses, the black monolith rises from beneath him, which then fills the screen (sort of a fade to
black) but a great transition that ends the film, roll credits.

The implication here (remember all the stuff Bruce and Blake have talked about, particularly about
wearing masks, and how anyone could be Batman) is that Blake will take up the cowl. So the true final
scene is of a new legend beginning. There's a greater emotional payoff than if the film ended in the
cafe. Go see it, I bet you'll enjoy it. cheers.
I just can't accept that Bruce could give up the cowl so easily and start a new life with Selina and what is worse Bruce doesn't even bother to tell Alfred and by the sounds of it he barely even acknowledges Alfred when he sees him outside the cafe. What a horrible and false ending!

The cafe scene ending in my view is not true to the character of Bruce that we have come to know Batman is intrinsically a part of Bruce and can never be fully exorcised from his being because the pain and anger that created Batman will always be with Bruce. But this ending just seems to have Bruce casually forget about Batman and pack up to lead a smug and carefree life in Paris with that criminal Selina! This ending just doesn't ring true to me!

In my view the only way Bruce can ever give up being Batman is through him sacrificing or ending his life.

Also as for John Blake finding the Batcave are we seriously meant to believe that this is the resolution to the trilogy that there will be a new Batman and that Gotham will be protected by another masked vigilante? If that is the case Bruce might as well have let the copycats vigilantes at the start of TDK take over the protecting of Gotham I thought the whole point of Bruce stepping down as Batman was because someone else could take up the mantle of Batman but not as a maksed vigilante but helping Gotham in a way Batman never could!

Someone else simply becoming Batman and Bruce and Selina just retiring to live a happy life seems like a lazy ending and either Nolan has "lost it" or "sold out" or Warner Bro suits have imposed this false and insincere ending on the film!
Last edited by idealist on July 18th, 2012, 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posts: 51
Joined: July 2012
Hi idealist,

I have to disagree with you, and I hope you feel differently after seeing the film.
But everyone is entitled to their opinion
Personally, I though the ending worked.
Call me sentimental, but I needed to see Bruce have some sort of payoff for all the crap he's been through.
Early on in the film Alfred tries to get him to move on from being Batman, and at the end of the film he
really does. Killing him off would have been tidy, but the movie isn't about Bruce findng the strength to
die in service of his obsession, it's about him gaining the strength to live with it and move past it.
Again, hope you enjoy the film. My wife liked it, and she isnt even a Batman fan.
Cheers.

Posts: 40
Joined: April 2012
Batmannerism wrote:Hi idealist,

I have to disagree with you, and I hope you feel differently after seeing the film.
But everyone is entitled to their opinion
Personally, I though the ending worked.
Call me sentimental, but I needed to see Bruce have some sort of payoff for all the crap he's been through.
Early on in the film Alfred tries to get him to move on from being Batman, and at the end of the film he
really does. Killing him off would have been tidy, but the movie isn't about Bruce findng the strength to
die in service of his obsession, it's about him gaining the strength to live with it and move past it.
Again, hope you enjoy the film. My wife liked it, and she isnt even a Batman fan.
Cheers.
Because of the ending I hope the movie flops now and doesn't beat the Avengers at the box office which it probably won't anyway.

Posts: 554
Joined: June 2010
Now you're just being ridiculous.

Posts: 40
Joined: April 2012
My guess is that studio execs forced Nolan to compromise on a happy ending and leaving the door open for a continuation or offshoot of the story with John Blake as the new Batman!

The ending of this film has completely undermined and cheapened the entire trilogy!

Posts: 554
Joined: June 2010
idealist wrote:My guess is that studio execs forced Nolan to compromise on a happy ending and leaving the door open for a continuation or offshoot of the story with John Blake as the new Batman!

The ending of this film has completely undermined and cheapened the entire trilogy!
No one cares about your ridiculous opinion. Stfu

Post Reply