Can Bane really top the Joker ?

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
Put me in the "He doesn't need to" camp. Different movie, different villain, different set of challenges for Wayne/Batman.

Bane has to be a compelling (i.e., credible and dangerous) threat to Batman to be effective onscreen. But asking as if there's some sort of competition between them is the wrong way to look at it, IMNSHO.

things like this that make tom so great.

OT: Gary Oldman says that story is fantastic:

"Genial! You think you can not beat Batman - The Dark Knight, but maybe he has achieved", prophesied the Commissioner Gordon. The actor also said that the recordings will start in May.

wacth:

http://www.omelete.com.br/cinema/batman ... antastica/
Truth is, sometimes I miss you so bad I can hardly stand it. - Jack Twist

I'm not worried about that, I'm rather worried about what kind of villain Bane's going to be, Ra's and The Joker where the ultimate sort of villains I can fucking think of and having someone who can only top batman physically would be quite poor, portraying him like in the comic books would only be taking elements from the two main villains we had before and making it generic.
you kinda find out that in the end Batman is his own worst enemy, because even when he wanted to stop corruption he spawned a large more dangerous set of maniacs and criminals, that's the reality TDK revealed and one of the most important elements of the story. So for me the third film has to be about Bruce fully acknowledging what Batman is and what does it really mean for the people of Gotham, it has to be about finishing what he started, that's the reason why I don't want it to end with Batman goes on forever.

Can Bane top the Joker you ask?
Yes, I think he can. Nolans Joker would never have gotten so popular if it wasn't for Nolans writing and his directing. There would be no memorable Ledger performance without Nolan.
Just because Bane is not a famous character, doesn't mean that Nolans Bane can't be. How many characters in cinema history was not even known by anyone before the the film was released, and they still came out legendary. Famous characters doesn't make a memorable performance. Good writing, directing and acting does.
Last edited by Jones on March 6th, 2011, 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

OVERMAN wrote:I'm not worried about that, I'm rather worried about what kind of villain Bane's going to be, Ra's and The Joker where the ultimate sort of villains I can fucking think of and having someone who can only top batman physically would be quite poor, portraying him like in the comic books would only be taking elements from the two main villains we had before and making it generic.
you kinda find out that in the end Batman is his own worst enemy, because even when he wanted to stop corruption he spawned a large more dangerous set of maniacs and criminals, that's the reality TDK revealed and one of the most important elements of the story. So for me the third film has to be about Bruce fully acknowledging what Batman is and what does it really mean for the people of Gotham, it has to be about finishing what he started, that's the reason why I don't want it to end with Batman goes on forever.

I think with the Joker, Bruce had to understand somebody who was completely different...he had to look outside of himself

with Bane, he will have to completely understand himself...he will have to take an ultimate look into his own psychology. He will find himself outmatched by Bane's physicality and intelligence, and the only way he will be able to stand in his way is to figure out how somebody motivated by the exact same things as Batman can wind up on the opposite end of the spectrum. He will have to find a way to relate to him emotionally.

i love Oldman, he's such a sweet sensitive guy for playing so many nasty characters. He's primarily the reason why I wanna see Red Riding Hood. I wonder if his new blond hair and mustache is for Wettest County

talli wrote:with Bane, he will have to completely understand himself...he will have to take an ultimate look into his own psychology
well, the way I see it he already understood most of that in the end of TDK and that's why he did what he did about Dent.
if Bane comes after him the way he did on Knightfall and is portrayed as the ultimate villain that lives only to brake batman and destroy everything he fights for by using both physical and tactical skill Bruce has to understand he needs to finish what he helped create once and for all, and if Bane is the absolute opposite, sacrifices must be made, etc. How the hell is Batman gonna do that?, in Nolan we trust.........

I think Tom Hardy is capable of delivering a better performance as Bane than Heath did as Joker, I think that is possible. But it's really gonna come down to personal preference. Even if Hardy is brilliant as Bane he's going to be entirely different from Joker. And then it will come down to what character people like more. And I think most will still prefer Joker.

All in all though I think TDKR will turn out to be the best film all around. While Begins and TDK may each have aspects that are better than something in TDKR, I just have a feeling TDKR will be the strongest film of the three. My favorite thing about Nolan is his resolve, he's great with ending things really well and this movie is truly an ending to a story that's been progressing for two films now. But that's just my theory.

I'm a big Bane fan myself and it is possible for Bane to top Joker in my eyes. If we're talking in terms of topping in threat to Batman and Gotham City then I think most likely Yes. I think Bane will top Joker and Ras in biggest possible threat.

The joker is the greatest opponent of batman,because he challenges batman's morality.
I think Bane will not top the joker.
He is a physical threat to batman.he is also tactial.but he is no maniac like joker.bane only wants to destroy batman.the joker has a bigger agenda.he not only wants to watch the world burn,he wants to light the match.
Even though tom hardy may be capable of giving a better performance than ledger,the character might not have the scope.

Batman joker card.jpeg
Who knows if he will (I wouldn't have expected Heath Ledger to do what he did with the Joker if I was following the film before it's release). But I have faith in Nolan to take our minds off that by creating an amazing storyline and making it work on screen :) In my opinion, the general pattern with his films are that they are getting better as he goes along so I'm trying not to worry about Bane because there are so many other pieces to the puzzle.