is Batman the modern day Hamlet?

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
he's a "prince" of his city...his father and mother are killed...he goes away and comes back enlightened, and a bit crazy, he broods....both have been played by many actors, and will continue to be played by more new actors

Batman is actually more consciously based on Zorro. But I can see the connections to Hamlet.

Batman doesn't go through with his vengence as Hamlet does though, but he sure is close in Batman Begins :)

No

yes, Bob Kane has mentioned Hamlet many times in interviews as one of his inspirations.

Also. They're both tragic hero.

sallygucha wrote:yes, Bob Kane has mentioned Hamlet many times in interviews as one of his inspirations.

thats cool, didnt know that

Hamlet? :lol: :lol:
NO! :|

talli wrote:he's a "prince" of his city...his father and mother are killed...he goes away and comes back enlightened, and a bit crazy, he broods....both have been played by many actors, and will continue to be played by more new actors
I think the chronology's a bit off. His father is killed, which fits, but it was by his stepfather. Who kills his mother later, at the same time nearly every major character dies. I think most of the similarities apply to every hero with a dark past. Besides, Batman's the exact opposite character as Hamlet. Hamlet's a self-important intellectual who debates about "take Arms against a Sea of troubles" through 4.9 acts without actually manning up and taking action. Batman takes the sea of troubles and makes them his b:!:tch.

I think the chronology's a bit off. His father is killed, which fits, but it was by his stepfather. Who kills his mother later, at the same time nearly every major character dies. I think most of the similarities apply to every hero with a dark past. Besides, Batman's the exact opposite character as Hamlet. Hamlet's a self-important intellectual who debates about "take Arms against a Sea of troubles" through 4.9 acts without actually manning up and taking action. Batman takes the sea of troubles and makes them his b:!:tch.[/quote]

Batman is more aggresive and enforces his ideals through actions where as hamlet mainly used words to incite the hatred he felt into others to get what he wanted which was cold blooded revenge for the murder of his father by his uncle

Also batman is obsessed with helping the people not suffer like he has/or is ....while hamlet is more obssessed with revenge and being loved to compensate for his growing madness.