Joseph Gordon-Levitt as John Blake

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
thedisabledcubicle wrote:'Wall Street' traders are held hostage by the guys on bikes. Presumably they're Bane's men and he'll use the hostages as leverage to get what he wants (and make an example of rampant capitalism; the real crooks).

But it could be that these kidnappings are a prelude to Bane arriving and that someone else is in charge.
Either way Batman chases them down on the batcycle, not in the flying vehicle. A chase scene was filmed with Batman stopping on a highway to inspect the body of a kidnapper who fell off a bike.
You're spoiler doesn't quite match up with the kidnappings. The kidnapping sequence was filmed during the day. The batpod chase was filmed at night. It's not the same sequence. And I believe Bane is the one who is in charge of all these kidnappings; he's going after particular figures (wealthy figures) in Gotham and putting them in jail, holding them accountable for their misdeeds; this is why Wayne is also thrown into prison under Bane's rule. It seems that capitalists are the main targets during the uprise.

LemonBachan wrote:
thedisabledcubicle wrote:'Wall Street' traders are held hostage by the guys on bikes. Presumably they're Bane's men and he'll use the hostages as leverage to get what he wants (and make an example of rampant capitalism; the real crooks).

But it could be that these kidnappings are a prelude to Bane arriving and that someone else is in charge.
Either way Batman chases them down on the batcycle, not in the flying vehicle. A chase scene was filmed with Batman stopping on a highway to inspect the body of a kidnapper who fell off a bike.
You're spoiler doesn't quite match up with the kidnappings. The kidnapping sequence was filmed during the day. The batpod chase was filmed at night. It's not the same sequence. And I believe Bane is the one who is in charge of all these kidnappings; he's going after particular figures (wealthy figures) in Gotham and putting them in jail, holding them accountable for their misdeeds; this is why Wayne is also thrown into prison under Bane's rule. It seems that capitalists are the main targets during the uprise.
Alright, don't ask for an opinion then.

LemonBachan wrote:

but he's right...that's the sequence of events...the day footage will most likely be darkened to be at night, as many scenes in TDK were

I don't usually post much on forums, but I have this theory rattling around about JGL in the movie...

If we know Christopher Nolan then we also know that he is meticulous and extremely thorough when explaining a particular story, the subject of this story is Bruce Wayne and his alto ego Batman. What makes him such a unique and appealing superhero is that he is simply put, human. Emphasis on the word 'human' meaning that he is reliant on those around him, (just as we all are) no matter how much he may try to deny it. Characters such as Alfred, Gordon and Lucius help Bruce with his journey both in a psychical and psychological sense. But there is one character that Nolan has yet to include in this trilogy and one I believe he must in order to really complete the story of Bruce Wayne/Batman. This character has been overlooked so far as his presence in past Batman films was completely abused and not properly utilised. He is just as essential as Alfred or Jim Gordon and maybe more so then Lucius Fox, this character proves that we all at some point or another need help from others, that the weight of the world is too much to handle all on your own. He is a tool, a weapon, a friend, someone who shares his secret and an apprentice that Bruce/Batman tutors in the ways of truth and justice. This specific character is also synonymous with Batman, they go hand in hand, and proves that in the world of Gotham City in the fight against crime other are ready to take up the charge. The Boy Wonder aka Robin is that very character and I know Nolan has been quoted as saying that he would never include Dick Grayson in his films but in order to really complete this trilogy and establish these movies as one of the greatest trilogies ever, he must do so. Otherwise the story will remain incomplete and a vital piece of the puzzle will remain missing.

Coming back to my original idea regarding Joseph Gordon Levitt, why would you waste such a golden opportunity with such a talented actor in your grasp? For those who have seen Inception and I hope you have, I point towards that now famous almost Kubrickian hallway scene where JGL performs some of the most intense and breathtaking stunt work in recent film. When those moments came to life in the theatre one thing came to mind, the inevitable third batman movie and how perfect JGL would be as Dick Grayson/Robin. He has all the necessary attributes and characteristics to pull off the character and we know he can bring it physically. He is funny and quirky something that Robin needs to be to provide some comical relief, but he is also able to provide depth in an emotional sense, an aspect of the character that eluded previous Batman films.

I do sincerely hope that Christopher Nolan, who is one of my favourite film makers of all time will not avoid this paramount piece of Batman's journey when ending his trilogy. I hope that the Robin rumours are in fact true, I hope that the R in the crowd of the football game was in fact a tease, I hope that the man standing behind Batman as he fights Bane in the Bat Cave is in fact JGL as Dick Grayson, and finally I hope that he has masked John Blake's true identity for us to reveal on the 20th of July!

aeser123 wrote:I don't usually post much on forums, but I have this theory rattling around about JGL in the movie...

If we know Christopher Nolan then we also know that he is meticulous and extremely thorough when explaining a particular story, the subject of this story is Bruce Wayne and his alto ego Batman. What makes him such a unique and appealing superhero is that he is simply put, human. Emphasis on the word 'human' meaning that he is reliant on those around him, (just as we all are) no matter how much he may try to deny it. Characters such as Alfred, Gordon and Lucius help Bruce with his journey both in a psychical and psychological sense. But there is one character that Nolan has yet to include in this trilogy and one I believe he must in order to really complete the story of Bruce Wayne/Batman. This character has been overlooked so far as his presence in past Batman films was completely abused and not properly utilised. He is just as essential as Alfred or Jim Gordon and maybe more so then Lucius Fox, this character proves that we all at some point or another need help from others, that the weight of the world is too much to handle all on your own. He is a tool, a weapon, a friend, someone who shares his secret and an apprentice that Bruce/Batman tutors in the ways of truth and justice. This specific character is also synonymous with Batman, they go hand in hand, and proves that in the world of Gotham City in the fight against crime other are ready to take up the charge. The Boy Wonder aka Robin is that very character and I know Nolan has been quoted as saying that he would never include Dick Grayson in his films but in order to really complete this trilogy and establish these movies as one of the greatest trilogies ever, he must do so. Otherwise the story will remain incomplete and a vital piece of the puzzle will remain missing.

Coming back to my original idea regarding Joseph Gordon Levitt, why would you waste such a golden opportunity with such a talented actor in your grasp? For those who have seen Inception and I hope you have, I point towards that now famous almost Kubrickian hallway scene where JGL performs some of the most intense and breathtaking stunt work in recent film. When those moments came to life in the theatre one thing came to mind, the inevitable third batman movie and how perfect JGL would be as Dick Grayson/Robin. He has all the necessary attributes and characteristics to pull off the character and we know he can bring it physically. He is funny and quirky something that Robin needs to be to provide some comical relief, but he is also able to provide depth in an emotional sense, an aspect of the character that eluded previous Batman films.

I do sincerely hope that Christopher Nolan, who is one of my favourite film makers of all time will not avoid this paramount piece of Batman's journey when ending his trilogy. I hope that the Robin rumours are in fact true, I hope that the R in the crowd of the football game was in fact a tease, I hope that the man standing behind Batman as he fights Bane in the Bat Cave is in fact JGL as Dick Grayson, and finally I hope that he has masked John Blake's true identity for us to reveal on the 20th of July!
I was going to facepalm this, but it's actually pretty good. It gets better, although everything in the final paragraph is highly unlikely. I agree that 'Robin' is just as an important character in the Batman story as Gordon or Alfred.

I'm a Batman fan before a Nolan fan so I'm totally open to 'Robin'. I think it's more the Nolan fans who have trouble with the idea because of it's perceived campiness and potential for upsetting the audience.

And although I don't believe JGL is playing 'Robin'. I do think there will be strong similarities between Blake and sidekick characters from the Batman history. He might not ever wear a costume or fight alongside Batman in the same scene, but spiritually I think he'll embody Robin/Nightwing.

I recently read the graphic novel Batman: The Cult. It features a villain called Blackfire who uses religious indoctrination to create an army of the underworld (literally, underground) that seethe into Gotham and create something like a military coup.
I think TDKR will combine elements of No Man's Land (Gotham on lockdown + a dangerous female ally), The Cult (underworld rising), Knightfall (Bane) and The Dark Knight Returns (aging Batman + female ally).
If you read Batman: The Cult and in every scene with Robin just imagine that he's not wearing a red and green costume and I think you'll see Blake. In the early scenes he's just talking with Gordon in the GCPD. He could easily be any other cop.

I've believed from the very beginning that Batman's "rising" will be dependent on passing on his mantle. Whether Batman/Bruce dies or not (or fakes his death) is consequential to me. But I firmly believe that TDKR will end with Selina and Blake carrying on the efforts of Batman and Gordon to fight against fantastic terror.
The idea of a 'successor' to Batman was set-up in TDK with Harvey. It's happening. But it'll be a combination of a costumed vigilante (Selina) and an inspirational cop (Blake).
The one thing that worries me about Blake's possibilities is that we haven't seen him (paparazzi-style) in any scenes that could be a happy ending. We've heard about Bruce and Selina filming in Italy, but it could be that Blake doesn't survive.
Robin dying is actually a very significant moment in Batman's history, so maybe Nolan will introduce a character like Robin and also kill him in the same story. I think he'd appease both fans and naysayers. Genius.

The best thing about the Nolan movies is that he doesn't make them for fanboys and fat nerds.

If he did, Robin would have probably been in The Dark Knight. But it would have been called Batman II. Jokers Revenge. And Robin would have saved Batman from the Jokers evil lair by accidentally pulling a lever right before Batman falls into a pit filled with bioengineered alligators. Essentially foiling the Jokers evil plan. Batman would quip to Robin, "I owe you one." and Robin would take credit for accidentally saving Batman. The audience will laugh.

The big action sequence would have a part where Batman and Robin are fighting bad guys side by side In a nuclear reactor that's on fire and Robin will get cornered by three henchmen and just before he meets his demise Batman will drop kick all three of them at once (in stylish slo-mo) then tell Robin, "NOW WE'RE EVEN." The audience will cheer. One virgin will jump out of his seat and pump his fist.

Robin won't be in this movie.

Robin's gay. End of story.

07202012 wrote:Robin's gay. End of story.
nah comic books nerds will never give it a rest :lol:

That's exactly the sort of stupid comment that enforces the idea of Robin as a lame character. He has more to offer than slapstick and a boy in tights. A concerted effort in the 80s and 90s comics has wiped away the TV show. Nolan has wiped away Forever and Batman & Robin.

'Robin' represents an element of family and heritage that Bruce/Batman doesn't have naturally (although Bruce has a biological son in modern storylines which detracts from Grayson's place a little). He represents the evolution of Bruce as a student to Bruce being a teacher. It adds the more adult-centric themes of parenting, danger and then even the loss of an adopted son. It's a by-product of marketing that Robin can be portrayed so childishly, so that the franchise still retained a demographic with young boys (the primary fans in the modern age).

My last post was probably one of the best expressed views I've posted here (thanks to aeser123 for inspring me). It might not be what you want to hear as Nolan Fans, and it probably won't come true, but Robin shouldn't be laughed off.

I'm not even a Robin fan. I've never liked any portrayal, but at least I have an open-mind to storytelling and an understanding of the franchises history.

Golden Age wrote:The best thing about the Nolan movies is that he doesn't make them for fanboys and fat nerds.

If he did, Robin would have probably been in The Dark Knight. But it would have been called Batman II. Jokers Revenge. And Robin would have saved Batman from the Jokers evil lair by accidentally pulling a lever right before Batman falls into a pit filled with bioengineered alligators. Essentially foiling the Jokers evil plan. Batman would quip to Robin, "I owe you one." and Robin would take credit for accidentally saving Batman. The audience will laugh.

The big action sequence would have a part where Batman and Robin are fighting bad guys side by side In a nuclear reactor that's on fire and Robin will get cornered by three henchmen and just before he meets his demise Batman will drop kick all three of them at once (in stylish slo-mo) then tell Robin, "NOW WE'RE EVEN." The audience will cheer. One virgin will jump out of his seat and pump his fist.

Robin won't be in this movie.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: