Joseph Gordon-Levitt as John Blake

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
Red Hood wrote:
RyanRises wrote: He's Batman. :neutral:
If he was to become Batman, there would be a lot of angry fans. I can't picture anyone other than Bruce Wayne (with the exception of Terry McGinness) being Batman.
All 3 of Nolan's batman movies show the title of the movie at the end, as the screen goes black, to show the true meaning of the movie. At the end of Begins, Batman talks to Gordon before gliding off the building past the camera. Screen goes black, and we see the words “Batman Begins” letting us know that Batman has officially begun. At the end of TDK, Gordon gives this narrative speech about how hes not a hero, hes a silent guardian, a watchful protector, a dark knight. A symbol who is a true warrior (knight) willing to sacrifice to do what it takes to preserve good. Batman flees on his motorcycle, screen goes black, and we see the words “The Dark Knight”, letting us know that Batman has established himself as more than just "the Batman", he's now the Dark Knight of gotham city. At the end of Rises, Blake stands on a platform which rises up, covering the camera's view, the screen goes black, and we see the words “The Dark Knight Rises”, meaning that Blake, the new Batman, or the new Dark Knight, rises up to continue the incorruptible symbol and everlasting legend that Bruce started. He absolutely does not become robin or nightwing (as in, he won't don red tights or wear a blue bird across his chest).

Consider the last batcave scene visually. In batman begins, bruce held up a light and walked forward, eventually being enveloped in a huge swarm of bats, and went on to become Batman. Blake’s final scene is almost shot for shot the same exact thing. He walks forward, holding up the same kind of light, and is enveloped in a swarm of bats. This was his “initiation” so to speak, his welcoming and acceptance into the persona of Batman via the bats, just as it happened to Bruce over eight and a half years ago. Why would he get covered by bats but go on to become robin or nightwing? Wouldn’t make any sense. He’s Batman; that’s why it’s called The Dark Knight Rises.

Also, note how throughout the movie, bruce was, in a way, training blake to become his successor, to become the next Batman. When they were in the car together and bruce said that the idea was that anyone could be BATMAN, that he was a symbol. When he tells him to wear a mask if hes gonna fight crime after rescuing him from the mercs. Or when he was like “count to five, then throw”. Bruce could easily have thrown that mini bomb that himself, but he wanted to give blake his first taste of using gadgets. He was mentoring him while saving the city from bane and the LOS. Also, Robin in the comics and in other movies has been known to help out Bruce/Batman in tough spots. Nolan incorporated this. Take, for example, the scene where Bruce was being crowded by the press after getting kicked out of the board meeting. Robin gave him a ride and got him away. These were examples of Nolan's version of "Batman and Robin" working together. Very subtle storytelling, yet so effective when you watch the movie multiple times and actually think about it. Blake's name being revealed as Robin was two things:

1. A nod to the character, not a declaration that Blake will go on to wear an "R"
2. An acknowledgement to the fact that he was already a sidekick of sorts to Bruce Wayne/Batman throughout the movie as I mentioned above.

In short, though there won't be a continuation with JGL, Nolan set Blake up to be the next Batman. That's right, the guy named Robin becomes Batman. Oh, and the blue bag thing doesn't mean squat.

nolangoatdirector wrote:
Red Hood wrote: If he was to become Batman, there would be a lot of angry fans. I can't picture anyone other than Bruce Wayne (with the exception of Terry McGinness) being Batman.
All 3 of Nolan's batman movies show the title of the movie at the end, as the screen goes black, to show the true meaning of the movie. At the end of Begins, Batman talks to Gordon before gliding off the building past the camera. Screen goes black, and we see the words “Batman Begins” letting us know that Batman has officially begun. At the end of TDK, Gordon gives this narrative speech about how hes not a hero, hes a silent guardian, a watchful protector, a dark knight. A symbol who is a true warrior (knight) willing to sacrifice to do what it takes to preserve good. Batman flees on his motorcycle, screen goes black, and we see the words “The Dark Knight”, letting us know that Batman has established himself as more than just "the Batman", he's now the Dark Knight of gotham city. At the end of Rises, Blake stands on a platform which rises up, covering the camera's view, the screen goes black, and we see the words “The Dark Knight Rises”, meaning that Blake, the new Batman, or the new Dark Knight, rises up to continue the incorruptible symbol and everlasting legend that Bruce started. He absolutely does not become robin or nightwing (as in, he won't don red tights or wear a blue bird across his chest).
i
Consider the last batcave scene visually. In batman begins, bruce held up a light and walked forward, eventually being enveloped in a huge swarm of bats, and went on to become Batman. Blake’s final scene is almost shot for shot the same exact thing. He walks forward, holding up the same kind of light, and is enveloped in a swarm of bats. This was his “initiation” so to speak, his welcoming and acceptance into the persona of Batman via the bats, just as it happened to Bruce over eight and a half years ago. Why would he get covered by bats but go on to become robin or nightwing? Wouldn’t make any sense. He’s Batman; that’s why it’s called The Dark Knight Rises.

Also, note how throughout the movie, bruce was, in a way, training blake to become his successor, to become the next Batman. When they were in the car together and bruce said that the idea was that anyone could be BATMAN, that he was a symbol. When he tells him to wear a mask if hes gonna fight crime after rescuing him from the mercs. Or when he was like “count to five, then throw”. Bruce could easily have thrown that mini bomb that himself, but he wanted to give blake his first taste of using gadgets. He was mentoring him while saving the city from bane and the LOS. Also, Robin in the comics and in other movies has been known to help out Bruce/Batman in tough spots. Nolan incorporated this. Take, for example, the scene where Bruce was being crowded by the press after getting kicked out of the board meeting. Robin gave him a ride and got him away. These were examples of Nolan's version of "Batman and Robin" working together. Very subtle storytelling, yet so effective when you watch the movie multiple times and actually think about it. Blake's name being revealed as Robin was two things:

1. A nod to the character, not a declaration that Blake will go on to wear an "R"
2. An acknowledgement to the fact that he was already a sidekick of sorts to Bruce Wayne/Batman throughout the movie as I mentioned above.

In short, though there won't be a continuation with JGL, Nolan set Blake up to be the next Batman. That's right, the guy named Robin becomes Batman. Oh, and the blue bag thing doesn't mean squat.
i agree 100% that was nolans intention. we all know bruce retires and blake is to be the next dark knight. but all im saying is you can imagine him becoming a different character if one so chooses or imagine bruce coming back to gotham to train blake or whatever you desire. thats the beauty in my honest opinion about the ending.

jibran wrote:
SomeFrenchToast wrote:I read someone who caught a very interesting detail during the Blackgate speech scene: when Blake says to Gordon they'll keep moving until they can get in front of cameras, he packs his things up in a black and blue bag.
Quickly now, someone say 'Nightwing confirmed'.
I've never said such a thing, nor even implied it. That could be a mere wink as well, just like his official name.

He's just a guy named Robin, it's not an uncommon name. He's not THE Robin if you don't want him to be. I'm glad Nolan left it for people to decide for themselves.

Batfan175 wrote:He's just a guy named Robin, it's not an uncommon name. He's not THE Robin if you don't want him to be. I'm glad Nolan left it for people to decide for themselves.
I don't really think thats how Nolan intended people to take it. I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be a surprising, smooth reveal, not a choice. That's just me.

Nolanoscopy wrote:
Batfan175 wrote:He's just a guy named Robin, it's not an uncommon name. He's not THE Robin if you don't want him to be. I'm glad Nolan left it for people to decide for themselves.
I don't really think thats how Nolan intended people to take it. I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be a surprising, smooth reveal, not a choice. That's just me.
I think Nolan thought "Ok, I'll give this little gift for the comic book fans. And that's it!"

atilasantos wrote:
Nolanoscopy wrote:
I think Nolan thought "Ok, I'll give this little gift for the comic book fans. And that's it!"
Jonathan Nolan said the robin thing was a nod to the fans.

My long post on the last page provides lots of evidence that he becomes Batman rather than Robin or Nightwing.

It would be pretty controversial to put JGL in the Batsuit.

Red Hood wrote:It would be pretty controversial to put JGL in the Batsuit.
As I said before, that's not gonna happen, unless some new director gets JGL to do a spinoff, which I hope does not happen. I was just saying that, in the Nolanverse, it is pretty obvious that Robin John Blake does go on to be the next Batman.