Tom Hardy as Bane

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
TehBatGetsBraked wrote:
ComptonTerry wrote:
Yeah I know but that really doesn't change anything about his sudden death feeling anti climactic and it just gives a strong feel of... really? That's it? Him being blown away and then just moving on right away like that makes him feel like a weak character
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

I liked his death scene. Selina Kyle did what needed to be done. And, damn, a big gun had to take out that big guy Bane. But I totally understand why people wouldn't like it so much.

Vader182 wrote:
While I think his death was anti-climactic, it was more the general way it was executed rather than what happened. You sort of (are supposed to anyway) get the best of both worlds. Batman defeated Bane entirely on his own, then later Selina could redeem herself. The levity and swiftness of his death is what makes it seem strange, I think.
-Vader
It's exactly this which is my big issue and why it felt awkward.
It's sudden and then they just move on as if Bane was anybody else.

ComptonTerry wrote:
Vader182 wrote:
While I think his death was anti-climactic, it was more the general way it was executed rather than what happened. You sort of (are supposed to anyway) get the best of both worlds. Batman defeated Bane entirely on his own, then later Selina could redeem herself. The levity and swiftness of his death is what makes it seem strange, I think.
-Vader
However, unlike you, I don't think that randomly devalues Bane's character. It's just something in the film I preferred was handled differently.

I would have liked to see Bane burned in a fire.

Vader182 wrote:
ComptonTerry wrote:
However, unlike you, I don't think that randomly devalues Bane's character. It's just something in the film I preferred was handled differently.
Alright fair enough if you feel that way but I didn't and I'm struggling with it.

JONATHAN3D wrote:
I liked his death scene. Selina Kyle did what needed to be done. And, damn, a big gun had to take out that big guy Bane. But I totally understand why people wouldn't like it so much.
I agree, and it was a great theater moment when the blast came out of nowhere. Plus we already got our moment when it's clear
the Batman has beaten down Bane. It's only after Talia does the turn that Bane is restored facing a weakened Bruce who is then saved by Selina.
Poetic justice. We also had more women in our theater than males and they pretty much were vocal about it every time a cinematic moment happened on screen. I'm awfully glad to have experienced the midnight screening before the news of the shooting. Repeated viewings helped me love the film more as I understood the plot completely by then but I noticed the reactions were more tepid those times around.

Also, Bane's best line delivery was during that 1st fight with Batman when he says
"But we are initiated, aren't we Bruce? Members of the League of Shadows.... and you betrayed us" The tone was epic and I wish he kept it that way for the rest of the film but Hardy's interpretation was still a moderately good job.

ComptonTerry wrote:
Vader182 wrote:
Alright fair enough if you feel that way but I didn't and I'm struggling with it.
I felt the same way during my initial reaction to the end of The Joker's story in TDK. I felt he was just a pawn in order to flesh out Harvey's role at the end but the important thing was that the damage the Joker did had repercussions all around for Gotham. I'm hoping to feel the same way about
Bane/Talia and the bomb's threat to the city but since this was the finale
, they couldn't go down that route again.
Hence the happy ending Bruce needed.

cchriswake wrote:
ComptonTerry wrote:
I felt the same way during my initial reaction to the end of The Joker's story in TDK. I felt he was just a pawn in order to flesh out Harvey's role at the end but the important thing was that the damage the Joker did had repercussions all around for Gotham. I'm hoping to feel the same way about
Bane/Talia and the bomb's threat to the city but since this was the finale
, they couldn't go down that route again.
Hence the happy ending Bruce needed.
Well maybe repeat viewings will change my mind but I never felt that way about jokers end in TDK. I'm seeing it again Tuesday.

Both Bane AND Scarecrow were pawns. Bane was set up as more though, as he had more to do with Talia then Scarecrow did with Ra's. Both were killed in anti-climactic ways but Scarecrow's was worse. Bane had an epic fight in which he was already defeated. Scarecrow got 2 seconds of awesomeness (horse/fire scene) and was taken out by a weak tool by a girl. Bane at least was shot by a freaking cannon by a girl who needed redemption, AFTER being in a climactic fight against Batman. Also, I believe Scarecrow/Crane has more screen time than Ra's. I prefer Bane's end in TDKR to Scarecrow's in BB any day.
In fact, most of Nolan's villains go out of his Batman films in an anti-climactic way only with a few exception.
Proof:
Joker - Left hanging. Lives/Dies ???
Two-Face - Pushed off a building and snaps his neck.
Scarecrow - Is tazed by Rachel.
Bane - Shot by the Batpod cannon by Selina.
Falcone - All you see is him in Arkham saying Scarecrow.
Maroni - In a car crash. Lives/Dies ???
Ra's - Climactic
Talia - Somewhat climactic. A little less than Ra's.

Other characters that could be considered villains are no exceptions:
Foley - Shot/Run over ???
Flass - Knocked out
Daggett - Neck broken. Climactic.
Daggett's partner - Falls through thin ice. Somewhat climactic.
That "Frreeeeaaak" dude - Fed to dogs ???
Barsad - Shot by random gun.
Last edited by Bacon on July 22nd, 2012, 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.