[SPOILERS] TDKR Plot Speculation

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
I can't help but put my own perspective on things as people are already trying to make up their minds on whether The Dark Knight Rises will top or at least be as good as The Dark Knight. I say in the end we will not be able to compare the two for this reason alone, they will be too different from each other. Let's thing of The Dark Knight for a second, a movie that has many traits of a Shakespearean Tragedy and the protagonist, Batman, has all his hopes and dreams tied to drums of gasoline and blown up by a psychopath. Now as thrilling as that is let's avoid going on youtube and watching the joker blow up a hospital as tempting as it is(I did in the middle of writing this :lol: ) and move on to TDKR. Judging by the name of this movie alone I assume it will be about Batman's triumph and not his failure. The reason I know the joker will not be missed as much as people think he will be(although of course he will be some) is simply because the joker couldn't be in a movie about Batman's triumph. It doesn't make sense, the joker ultimately never loses. He always comes back. The Dark Knight Rises will very much be epic in its own way, and I can't wait to see Bane and Batman clash on the big screen the way they were meant to, under the direction of Chris Nolan... and without goddam Robin
Last edited by ohheeheeahhah on July 22nd, 2011, 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I don't feel like reading that gigantic paragraph. So I'll just say, it's gonna be awesome.

DO YOU GUYS SEE HOW IT ALL TIES TOGETHER?!??!!!

In BB Bruce's dad says "Why do we fall Bruce? So we can learn to pick ourselves up."

The entire saga has been following that trait! In TDK, Batman falls: He fails to save his Rachel, Dent dies, and Gotham now thinks he's a murderer. The Dark Knight RISES is about him learning to pick himself up. And actually, I think they'll keep the Shakesperian tragic aspects. We've got two villains who are known for testing Batman in a way he has not yet been tested before in the series. It's gonna get messy; we already know Gordon ends up in the hospital...

Michael Lane

Below is an excerpt from Wikipedia as to what I think Christopher Judge's character might be:

Main article: Azrael (comic book)

In 2009, a mini-series titled Azrael: Death's Dark Knight[5] was produced as a tie-in to the Battle for the Cowl crossover event, with a later regular series.

The new Azrael is the Third "Ghost of Batman" to undergo Doctor Hurt's experiments; an African American ex-cop named Michael Washington Lane. He is approached by the Order of Purity to reclaim the mantle of Azrael after the Order of Dumas' latest Azrael went mad and killed an undercover police officer. On his first night as Azrael he fights Talia Al Ghul and a new team of mercenaries led by Merlyn and Nightwing.[volume & issue needed] After convincing Nightwing that he was not responsible for the murdered police officer, Nightwing persuades Talia to allow Michael to keep the Suit of Sorrows. In Batman And The Outsiders (vol. 2) #14, the character is displayed as a charming man who undergoes various purification rituals, overseen by the Order of Purity.[6] The character is currently active in Gotham City.

I'm sure its been mentioned in this thread somewhere before, but, especially after the teaser, I'm getting a The Dark Knight Returns vibe from this. With some knightfall mixed in.

Not only is the abbreviation TDKR, but in the teaser we heard Gordon talking about how Gotham needs Batman, and Bruce talking about how "Batman cannot come back". My guess is that in the beginning of the film, or after being beaten down by Bane, Bruce has put away Batman for a while. I'm expecting a larger time gap between this and The Dark Knight. However, things get so bad that Batman is forced to return, and after some action is accepted by Gotham again. I think my favorite thing about Bane being the villain is that he isn't going to be sucking away a lot of attention. Not much back story is going to be needed, and the focus is going to be primarily on Batman.

How catwoman is going to fit into this is anyone's guess, but I really hope she isn't definitively on Batman's side. I like catwoman the best when she's more of a bad guy. You just think she might be good. Then she screws you over.

Also, a traditional Nolan mindf*ck is essential.

emperor wrote: How catwoman is going to fit into this is anyone's guess, but I really hope she isn't definitively on Batman's side. I like catwoman the best when she's more of a bad guy. You just think she might be good. Then she screws you over.

Also, a traditional Nolan mindf*ck is essential.
I hope there won't be too much of a time gap between TDK and TDKR but other than that I think you might be right concerning Bruce...

I prefer Catwoman when she's in the grey area and you never know what she's going to do next 8-)

A traditional Nolan mindf*** is absolutely necessary ;) And welcome to this board by the way :)

I agree that TDKR will end in a Batman triumph. But that doesn't mean it will be a 100% happy ending.

For instance, Bruce could die while the myth of Batman lives on.
But I think that the best ending would be Gotham City finally appreciating the caped crusader for all of his hard work.

Regarding the plot, the middle, etc... I am suspecting there to be some element that changes the way we view the other films.
For instance, the Joker being released on Gotham by the LOS.

I am also wondering how Selina is weaved into the story. I have a hard time viewing her as purely a buddy/sidekick given her long career as a villain in the comics. I somewhat like the idea of her being a member of the LOS, sent to seduce and then betray Bruce. Except she falls for him, and then sides with him to defeat Bane. But at the last moment, it is revealed that she betrays both of them.

The new Pittsburgh filming photos have got me thinking.
What if the prison in which Bruce seems to be in, in the teaser trailer, is actually Blackgate Prison. This would perfectly link the filming photos. But of course, Blackgate Prison could have something major to do with Bane. And if you ask me, those front gates are just begging to be blown up.
But yeah, it's a tricky one. My money's on Bruce's connection with it all though.

I'm a little dubious still.
I thought the prison break scene was taking place in that fancy, mostly glass, building? And Bale was doing push-ups in what looked like an underground dungeon, rather than a prison.

The front gates could very well be for the complex with the glass building, but I think Bruce is imprisoned somewhere else entirely... Presumably abroad (India) as the standards look low.

To me, the glass building looks more similar to a scientific-lab, which would fit with the 'mad scientist' still rumoured and perhaps a little of Bane's origin.

I'm feeling very comfortable about this concept of "Rises." And I'm looking forward to the ultimate outcome to that effect. Nolan doesn't just choose catchy names for his films. The title really envelopes the story and opens the thesis for the film. It took me awhile to understand why he would call it The Dark Knight Rises and I'm still not quite sure. But I know by the end of the movie next summer it will make absolute sense and I'll never be able to imagine the film having another title.

So far we've seen the tag line, "The Fire Rises." And we heard in the trailer, "This Evil Rises." So I'm very confident that this Rises concept will be vital to this picture. And I'm extremely excited to understand that completely.