Could TDKR have forgone combat completely?

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
Applaudable is Nolan's effort to make a movie that doesn't reply on fist strikes and gun shots to make it's most powerful moments, yet there are still numerous combat bits (less than TDK) though.

Do you think that TDKR's absence of Batman in action, pummeling his foes in the ground and narrowly escaping death, hurt it or helped it?

tadpole25 wrote:Applaudable is Nolan's effort to make a movie that doesn't reply on fist strikes and gun shots to make it's most powerful moments, yet there are still numerous combat bits (less than TDK) though.

Do you think that TDKR's absence of Batman in action, pummeling his foes in the ground and narrowly escaping death, hurt it or helped it?
Depends who you ask, but I think it helped it immensely. I don't give a shit watching tow guys fight when I don't know where each of them is coming from and the stakes of the action. Some people just want Batman beating up people and in action, which is fine but I find the character analysis far more interesting. Build up to a battle is more important than the battle itself. The atmosphere of the battle is also underrated. Blade Runner is the perfect example. The entire film is slow and builds up to that final battle between Deckard and Batty. They're talking during it as well. This fight was definitely a huge influence on TDKR's first fight scene.

in addition, TDK's combat scenes (save for the Prewitt building sequence) were just about the worst part about the film. poorly choreographed and shot. Begins' were much better, even though they get a lot of flack (which i disagree with)

TDKR's combat scenes raised the stakes, taught us about characters, and were essential pieces of the plot. also shot and choreographed much better. they had weight, whereas TDK's were kind of just there

lack of combat helped because it gave the present combat significance