Have Your Thoughts On The Movie Changed Since Its Release?

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
I didn't know what to think of TDKR when I first saw it.
After watching it for the first time, it just left me confused.
It didn't feel like I was watching a 'Batman' film & I thought it was awkward.

I consider it the 'Batman Returns' of the trilogy; it's really the oddball film & that's not a bad thing.
After two plus years and several viewings, I've grown to appreciate it the most out of the three films.
(Though 'Batman Begins' is still my favorite)
It told the story of Bruce Wayne & Gotham in such a way that had never been shown before on film.

There's a ton of things I would have done differently with the film, but it did a mighty fine job of bringing everything full circle and concluding the trilogy.

The three Batman movies fit together almost by narrative only.

Begins: Gotham was a modern version of the gothic iterations of the city that came before it.

TDK: More modern approach. Very angular. Lots of straight lines. TDK was set firmly in the present.

Rises: French revolution...even though its set far in the future compared to the previous entries...almost like a stylistic...step back? (heresy?) It gave the least sense of setting, even though a huge point of the movie was to destroy the setting.

Rises is a great ending for the characters in the stories that came before it. The other two Nolan Bat-flicks are great movies independent of the trilogy. Rises is BEST when seen as a sequel.

yourstrulyinhd wrote: Rises is a great ending for the characters in the stories that came before it. The other two Nolan Bat-flicks are great movies independent of the trilogy. Rises is BEST when seen as a sequel.
I would say I agree.

Two years later, I think many film critics and fans of Nolan acknowledge that Rises is, if not a step-back, a misstep in his career. Many consider it disappointing, particularly when considering Nolan's filmography. I tend to agree. I was never a fan of the film when it came out in 2012, and got scolded for it here on Nolan Fans.

I think as time has passed and the hype and fervor for the film has died down, people are a lot more objective when analyzing the film. I don't think Rises will be remember over The Dark Knight. I don't think those within film circles will view it as passionately as Memento. And as much criticism that Inception has received as well, from the exposition to the lack of three dimensional characters, as a film experience and as a concept, Rises likely won't be viewed as favorably as it either. It's far too early to project Interstellar, but it looks like it has all the makings of a classic.

Basically, I think Rises won't be mentioned as one of Nolan's greatest accomplishments once he steps away from the director's chair.

Skyab23 wrote:Two years later, I think many film critics and fans of Nolan acknowledge that Rises is, if not a step-back, a misstep in his career. Many consider it disappointing, particularly when considering Nolan's filmography. I tend to agree. I was never a fan of the film when it came out in 2012, and got scolded for it here on Nolan Fans.

I think as time has passed and the hype and fervor for the film has died down, people are a lot more objective when analyzing the film. I don't think Rises will be remember over The Dark Knight. I don't think those within film circles will view it as passionately as Memento. And as much criticism that Inception has received as well, from the exposition to the lack of three dimensional characters, as a film experience and as a concept, Rises likely won't be viewed as favorably as it either. It's far too early to project Interstellar, but it looks like it has all the makings of a classic.

Basically, I think Rises won't be mentioned as one of Nolan's greatest accomplishments once he steps away from the director's chair.
It's ok if you didn't like it, but don't try to pass it off as if your opinion of the film is gonna be shared by a vast majority because the majority of people enjoyed it and you seem to be in the minority on this.

Thedarknight628 wrote:
Skyab23 wrote:Two years later, I think many film critics and fans of Nolan acknowledge that Rises is, if not a step-back, a misstep in his career. Many consider it disappointing, particularly when considering Nolan's filmography. I tend to agree. I was never a fan of the film when it came out in 2012, and got scolded for it here on Nolan Fans.

It's ok if you didn't like it, but don't try to pass it off as if your opinion of the film is gonna be shared by a vast majority because the majority of people enjoyed it and you seem to be in the minority on this.
The truth is somewhere between the both of you. I think. A minority of people says Rises sucks, but one of the sequels to batman begins dramatically influenced pop culture, movies generally, and likely new stories in the batman mythos on screen (how much do you think Zack Snyder will try to refurbish Nolan's ideas). I don't even have to specify which one and mostly anybody would know which was which.

I've thought that maybe it was the beginning of a decline before. Maybe I'm naive but from the second it was announced that his next film would be about space and time I've just believed that wasn't true. Fingers crossed. High expectations.

yourstrulyinhd wrote:
Thedarknight628 wrote:

The truth is somewhere between the both of you. I think. A minority of people says Rises sucks, but one of the sequels to batman begins dramatically influenced pop culture, movies generally, and likely new stories in the batman mythos on screen (how much do you think Zack Snyder will try to refurbish Nolan's ideas). I don't even have to specify which one and mostly anybody would know which was which.

I've thought that maybe it was the beginning of a decline before. Maybe I'm naive but from the second it was announced that his next film would be about space and time I've just believed that wasn't true. Fingers crossed. High expectations.
Rises also had many cultural references in the comics, tv shows, movies, and other media.

How are people gonna ignore a movie in one of the best trilogies and there aren't many.

The entire TDK trilogy tells a story with a definite beginning and ending, and you can't just ignore the film which finishes the trilogy so poignantly.

Pratham wrote:How are people gonna ignore a movie in one of the best trilogies and there aren't many.

The entire TDK trilogy tells a story with a definite beginning and ending, and you can't just ignore the film which finishes the trilogy so poignantly.
I don't see them ignoring it, just not mentioning it years down the road, like they will The Dark Knight, Inception and Memento. In popular culture and among "average filmgoers," they talk about TDK and Inception, the film criticism niche very much still adores Memento. It's similar to Fincher films. Fight Club and Se7en are his more "popular" films that are still talked about, while Zodiac is very much admired in the film community. Dragon Tattoo and The Game are considered his second-tier films by many, and I think that's where TDKR will land for Nolan. It'll be a footnote, instead of an introduction to his filmography.

Skyab23 wrote:
Pratham wrote:How are people gonna ignore a movie in one of the best trilogies and there aren't many.

I don't see them ignoring it, just not mentioning it years down the road, like they will The Dark Knight, Inception and Memento. In popular culture and among "average filmgoers," they talk about TDK and Inception, the film criticism niche very much still adores Memento. It's similar to Fincher films. Fight Club and Se7en are his more "popular" films that are still talked about, while Zodiac is very much admired in the film community. Dragon Tattoo and The Game are considered his second-tier films by many, and I think that's where TDKR will land for Nolan. It'll be a footnote, instead of an introduction to his filmography.
Rises is one of the few great conclusions to a great trilogy, which is not something many directors can have. I'm sure that people will always refer to it as an example of how the third chapter of a story should be done.