Editing

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
nolangoatdirector wrote:
stanley wrote:
Can someone fill me in on this? I always thought the quibble with Imax was that it has shorter takes, but why would it affect the length of the movie, or how much they decide to cut?
It has to do with the length/size of the amount of film that can be run through the projector. 165 minutes is the max for IMAX film (remember that IMAX film is extremely large), and people who saw the movie in true 15/70 IMAX would understand this as there were no previews shown before the movie - there simply wasn't any extra room on the IMAX film reel.

Interesting. I wonder how the movie would have been different (if at all) if it wasn't for this.

Then again, considering we never got an 'extended cut' I'd have to assume Nolan likes it the way it is.

smakweasel wrote:Re-watching this the other night, I noticed there are a ton of strange edits and quick cuts that made the movie feel very disjointed and jarring...unlike any previous Nolan film. The biggest one and most noticeable being when Selina steals Bruce's car. it cuts in and out of her driving so quick that it's almost laughable.

Then obviously there are the ones everyone has talked about with the changes from day to night/Bruce arriving back in Gotham..but whats up with that? Now that all the hype and excitement has died down I've had the chance to watch it closer and without the "awesome goggles" and I think it ultimately hurt the film.

anyone else notice it/bothered by it?
It definitely hurts the flow of the film, but the weird edits and cuts were the first thing I noticed when I saw it the first time. I guess the more I watch it, the more I've grown to expect that flow of the film.

I actually had the same feeling about TDK. If you really think about it, it's actually edited in a very quick way and it seems a lot of slack is cut down, but the annoyance went away after a while and it soon became one of my favorite films, same thing with TDKR.
If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.

I actually think much of the editing is perfect in TDK.

-Vader

stanley wrote:Interesting. I wonder how the movie would have been different (if at all) if it wasn't for this.

Then again, considering we never got an 'extended cut' I'd have to assume Nolan likes it the way it is.
Well I can tell you that a BUNCH of stuff was cut out. There was an entire conversation about Bruce and the energy project between Fox and Miranda that was cut. Anne Hathaway had a lot of her stuff cut, including a scene of her walking out of prison but in the opposite direction of where the angry prisoners that Bane released were going. She also had a line cut out when Jen said "There's a storm coming remember, this is what you wanted." Selina's response was "It's what I thought I wanted". During her dance with Bruce, there were 2-3 lines in the script that were not in the movie. Their dialogue in Selina's apartment was missing like two lines or so. And through various photos I have seen, there seems to be some more like maybe two-second shots of her walking about that were cut throughout the film.

The wall street brawl was shortened for sure; they filmed that for several days and the extras involved have said there was a lot of stuff cut from that. Bale and Hardy also fought more than what was included in the movie as shown by captured footage on youtube (during the Wall Street brawl). There was deleted footage of a flashback of a younger Bane training and being attacked from different directions a la Bruce in Batman Begins. Most disappointingly, there was a chunk of the bomb convoy chase that was cut - there was footage shot at the Wabash Tunnel in Pittsburgh that did not make it into the final cut. This is all I can think of off the top of my head; there could have been more.

It's definitely not as well edited as Inception or The Dark Knight, but the flaws in the editing are very minor and far from the biggest problems.
Vader182 wrote:I actually think much of the editing is perfect in TDK.

-Vader
I remember somebody did a huge critique on the editing of the chase scene in TDK, and honestly? I just can't wrap my head around the complaints.
Crazy Eight wrote:
Allstar wrote: Thoughts on Michael Fassbender?
no ur a assbender

The guy who did that critique must have very poor spacial reasoning skills in real life, since almost all of that stuff matched well. I wonder if he trips a lot, lol.

-Vader

I just remembered the scene when Batman is being approached by the police cars. The overhead shot shows the cars really near, but the next ones show them coming from afar. Annoys the hell outta me.

Jungian wrote:I just remembered the scene when Batman is being approached by the police cars. The overhead shot shows the cars really near, but the next ones show them coming from afar. Annoys the hell outta me.
Do you mean the ones in front of Batman or behind him?

nolangoatdirector wrote:
Jungian wrote:I just remembered the scene when Batman is being approached by the police cars. The overhead shot shows the cars really near, but the next ones show them coming from afar. Annoys the hell outta me.
Do you mean the ones in front of Batman or behind him?
Behind. It really makes the scene worse and worse the more I see it.

That was basically a chain reaction of all the officers looking behind themselves, seeing a bunch of police and then going under the speed limit to avoid getting arrested. Silly coppers.

In all seriousness, continuity has been one of my biggest nitpicks with the series.
Crazy Eight wrote:
Allstar wrote: Thoughts on Michael Fassbender?
no ur a assbender