Why was TDKR snubbed at the Oscars?

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
I don't think it was really good enough to be nominated for anything.

Maybe soundtrack or cinematography.

In my opinion it didn't have any really stand out features. I was annoyed that it didn't get nominated for a single thing, in the same way I am still angry that they didn't nominate The Dark Knight for Best Film, and Nolan didn't get a Best Director nod for Inception (which also didn't get a best editing nomination which is staggering).

Reaveybeach wrote:I can't find these "film fans" you're talking about. Every article that praises this film is filled with hate and anger, I've haven't seen this with most films this year. Least not a Nolan batman film. I guess it's the vocal (very vocal) minority then.
Lolz, I had my doubts that you are probably an uninformed member who just doesn't know what's going on, but after this I'm pretty sure you're a troll and a pretty amateur one I must say. I'm done with you.

I'm a troll!?!? Holy fuck mate, I think you just completely misinterpret what I'm saying to you.

It got snubbed because of the Competition and big constraint of being a Superhero movie.

Now people have been saying The Dark Knight got so many nominations??

Its because TDK's competition was weak, clearly Dark Knight Rises has "Better production Design" and "Better visual effects" and "At par if not better Cinematography" yet it got 0 nominations whereas The Dark Knight got nominated in these categories.

What do people think about 3 categories I listed?? Are they not as good as TDK?? but still no nomination because of big competition from movies which were set on Academy's predefined template.

Reaveybeach wrote:I'm a troll!?!? Holy fuck mate, I think you just completely misinterpret what I'm saying to you.
So can you please explain what "I can't find these film fans you are talking about" means when I already mentioned the high score on IMDb and also RT users rating which is 92% from 480,000 votes.

The Avengers also gets a lot of hate from haters every where on the Internet but the fact remains that it's a massively popular movie.

riddick-danish wrote:It got snubbed because of the Competition and big constraint of being a Superhero movie.

Its because TDK's competition was weak, clearly Dark Knight Rises has "Better production Design" and "Better visual effects" and "At par if not better Cinematography" yet it got 0 nominations whereas The Dark Knight got nominated in these categories.

What do people think about 3 categories I listed?? Are they not as good as TDK?? but still no nomination because of big competition from movies which were set on Academy's predefined template.

Yup. Sometimes you just have to pick your year. If TDKR had been released last year, i could have seen it easily getting the 8 nominations that TDK got, plus even a best picture nom. But some things just aren't meant to be.

Indeed. TDKR not getting nominated was certainly more to do with the number of very good films, rather than against the film's actual quality, though some of the tech nominations are confusing.

I also agree with the idea that Skyfall basically came out of nowhere and took a lot of attention. Nobody could have guessed the insane success that film would have, critically and financially.

riddick-danish wrote:It got snubbed because of the Competition and big constraint of being a Superhero movie.

TDK was considered one of the best films of that year. For this reason it received 8 nominations.
And it deserved those nominations.

Oscar 2009: http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20254167,00.html

I think TDK don't received for Best Picture because of Harvey, who put The Reader and for being a comic book movie.
TDK appeared on several lists of that year, including DGA and WGA.:

DGA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directors_ ... wards_2008

WGA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Writers_Gu ... wards_2008

Unlike TDKR, who hasn't had the same love that TDK.

Do not really know what happened with the Academy to snub TDKR in all categories. The film was one of the biggest blockbusters of the year and ... Perhaps they thought that the work of Wally Pfster, for example, in TDK was better than TDKR and decided not to give a nomination for best cinematography for the film because of it. Something that may have occurred in other categories.
Truth is, sometimes I miss you so bad I can hardly stand it. - Jack Twist

Monicabbm wrote:

TDK was considered one of the best films of that year. For this reason it received 8 nominations.
And it deserved those nominations.

Oscar 2009: http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20254167,00.html

I think TDK don't received for Best Picture because of Harvey, who put The Reader and for being a comic book movie.
TDK appeared on several lists of that year, including DGA and WGA.:

DGA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directors_ ... wards_2008

WGA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Writers_Gu ... wards_2008

Unlike TDKR, who hasn't had the same love that TDK.

Do not really know what happened with the Academy to snub TDKR in all categories. The film was one of the biggest blockbusters of the year and ... Perhaps they thought that the work of Wally Pfster, for example, in TDK was better than TDKR and decided not to give a nomination for best cinematography for the film because of it. Something that may have occurred in other categories.

Indeed The Dark Knight was a superior movie but only because of better story not in terms of technical accomplishments. In technical categories Rises is superior to The Dark Knight, My point is TDK didn't faced huge competition for instance movies like Changeling, Slumdog, Benjamin button, Reader weren't that good on technical level whereas Rises faced stiff competition from Lincoln, Les Mis, ZDT, Anna K, Django, Pi etc.

I am not trying to say TDK didn't deserved those nominations but we all know Superhero movies doesn't get lot of love from Academy and when the competition was stiff it was easy to snub Dark Knight Rises.

This is 1 big flaw in Academy's thinking - for example:

After analysis academy found Cinematography of Dark Knight Rises was as good as Anna Kerenina but the voter will not take into account who did groundbreaking work or who challenged himself but he will vote for Anna Kerenina because they are sentimental and maybe they overall liked Anna Kerenina more, the movie which fits their predefined template more gets nominated but not the movie which pushed itself beyond limit. Creativity is not recognized by academy anymore but those who fits their own liking, there are countless examples over the year.

mao
It's all relative. TDK > TDKR but TDKR > Les Miz. If Les Miz can get nominated for Best Picture and even win the Globes, then surely TDKR deserves a nod too. It's being penalized not for being a bad movie but for being associated with bad memories. Not to mention, it's stuck in the crossfires of someone's gun control agenda.