A thought about the Clean Slate...

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
Watching Batman Begins, something really stood out to me that Ra's said in regards to the clean slate.
"The world is too small for someone like Bruce Wayne to disappear"
It's interesting because I know a lot of people thought it was far fetched that no one would recognize Bruce Wayne. And Ra's basically says so himself in the beginning. But I feel that's one of the points behind the clean slate is that Bruce found a way, not just in the literal clean slate sense but also that he met Ra's challenge and moved on. Whereas Ra's could not by devoting his entire life to his cause, he became that which he was fighting against. And I think Bruce faced this same dilemma that if he didn't give it up, disappear and start fresh, he would eventually become that monster permanently as well. Ra's was slave to his cause, Talia was slave to her father's cause and Bane was slave to Talia's cause. Even Joker who called himself an agent of chaos was a slave to it. Harvey dent was a slave to chance refusing to take responsibility for his own actions.

Bruce finally broke that cycle of being a slave to his father, a slave to Rachel (using her as an excuse to live a normal life and not moving on after her death), a slave to Batman. And in fact the world is too small for someone like Bruce Wayne to disappear, which is why he had to "die" in order to do so.

anonymity wrote:Watching Batman Begins, something really stood out to me that Ra's said in regards to the clean slate.
"The world is too small for someone like Bruce Wayne to disappear"
It's interesting because I know a lot of people thought it was far fetched that no one would recognize Bruce Wayne. And Ra's basically says so himself in the beginning. But I feel that's one of the points behind the clean slate is that Bruce found a way, not just in the literal clean slate sense but also that he met Ra's challenge and moved on. Whereas Ra's could not by devoting his entire life to his cause, he became that which he was fighting against. And I think Bruce faced this same dilemma that if he didn't give it up, disappear and start fresh, he would eventually become that monster permanently as well. Ra's was slave to his cause, Talia was slave to her father's cause and Bane was slave to Talia's cause. Even Joker who called himself an agent of chaos was a slave to it. Harvey dent was a slave to chance refusing to take responsibility for his own actions.

Bruce finally broke that cycle of being a slave to his father, a slave to Rachel (using her as an excuse to live a normal life and not moving on after her death), a slave to Batman. And in fact the world is too small for someone like Bruce Wayne to disappear, which is why he had to "die" in order to do so.
As far as people recognizing him, when he first gets arrested in BB, the police in whatever Asian country he is in obviously don't recognize him and he's sitting next to a box with his name on it. So really Ra's saying that Bruce can't hide really means that Bruce can't hide if someone wants to look for him. In reality, he's faked his death, so people have no reason to look for him whereas Ra's did.

Also, LOL at @anonymity posting in this thread. Irony at its finest.

Nolanoscopy wrote: Also, LOL at @anonymity posting in this thread. Irony at its finest.
I thought that would be more fitting than ironic.
Do you... like pineapple?

jibran wrote:
Nolanoscopy wrote: Also, LOL at @anonymity posting in this thread. Irony at its finest.
I thought that would be more fitting than ironic.
I hadn't even thought about it. 8-)