Continuity with the first two films (Innocence and children)

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
Wow, this thread has been an amazing read! The themes you guys talk about, makes these movies that much more special to me. Thanks guys! :twothumbsup:

Bullitt wrote:Wow, this thread has been an amazing read! The themes you guys talk about, makes these movies that much more special to me. Thanks guys! :twothumbsup:
Happy to contribute, love. :thumbup:

Lynn wrote:
SomeFrenchToast wrote:
What do you mean?
This is what Nolan wrote in the notes accompanying the OST CD:
The musical contribution in /The Dark Knight Rises' that most clearly demonstrates Hans’ importance as a creative collaborator is not to be found on this record. He did not write a note of it. It is a hinge point of the entire film and it is the lonely fragile voice of a boy singing the National Anthem at the center of a massive, crowded football stadium. While we were considering how to stage this sequence I called Hans to ask what big draw artists we might convince to do a star spangled cameo. He threw out a few ideas, trying to get into the spirit of the thing. Then called me back a few minutes later, gently suggesting I might be betraying the spirit of our endeavor. He told me to make the most instinctive and unconscious connection with the lonely boy at the genesis of our story. It was the sort of priceless contribution that gives you goosebumps and reveals your dangerous dependence on a collaborator. I told him I’d think about it.
Baniac wrote:
MikaHaeli8 wrote:Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but in the score (can't pinpoint the precise moment(s) when it sounds in the film), there's the pure, clear voice of a child singing the Bruce Wayne/ Batman two-note theme.
Yep, I talked about this earlier in the thread: :-D
Baniac wrote:Two musical choices that help illustrate this theme is the usage of a boy's vocal in the music that plays when Bruce's parents are killed and when Batman is flying the bomb out over the bay. Both forlorn and hauntingly beautiful. The other interesting choice is Hans Zimmer's input to convince Nolan to use a young boy to sing the National Anthem during the stadium scene in TDKR instead of a well-known pop singer. An added twist to this choice is that Bane stands there, cloaked in darkness, appreciating the boy's innocent, lovely voice. Bane waits until the boy is done singing and has left the field before he unleashes hell. That illustration of Bane's appreciation of a quality singing voice gives us a further glimpse into who Bane really is (an intelligent, sensitive human, not merely a violent monster).
Agreed. So glad Nolan went with a child! Im surprised he thought about even going with a celeb...it seems he really is involved with the layers of his movies and it's cool of him to have listened to Zimmer's idea... people underestimate the music in movies.. truly the music can be just as captivating as actors and actresses.

Lynn wrote:
SomeFrenchToast wrote:
What do you mean?
This is what Nolan wrote in the notes accompanying the OST CD:
The musical contribution in /The Dark Knight Rises' that most clearly demonstrates Hans’ importance as a creative collaborator is not to be found on this record. He did not write a note of it. It is a hinge point of the entire film and it is the lonely fragile voice of a boy singing the National Anthem at the center of a massive, crowded football stadium. While we were considering how to stage this sequence I called Hans to ask what big draw artists we might convince to do a star spangled cameo. He threw out a few ideas, trying to get into the spirit of the thing. Then called me back a few minutes later, gently suggesting I might be betraying the spirit of our endeavor. He told me to make the most instinctive and unconscious connection with the lonely boy at the genesis of our story. It was the sort of priceless contribution that gives you goosebumps and reveals your dangerous dependence on a collaborator. I told him I’d think about it.
Thanks for sharing. I'm really surprised as well that Nolan thought about a celebrity cameo for this scene. It doesn't fit the movies' spirit at all... I wonder what went through his mind then.