Bane WAS NOT a pawn

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
To be honest, the
Talia twist
really cheapened the character of Bane, IMO.
The entire movie is spent setting Bane up to be this completely emotionless, pure evil, not one shred of remorse psychopath. All of that was completely swept away when we saw a tear fall down his cheek.

I still loved the movie, but that part was really a misnomer I think. It would've been like if at the end of the dark knight, we find out that the Joker is really Joe Chill and that he killed Bruce's parents. Would have completely and totally destroyed the mystique behind his character not having an origin.

Viper wrote:To be honest, the
Talia twist
The entire movie is spent setting Bane up to be this completely emotionless, pure evil, not one shred of remorse psychopath. All of that was completely swept away when we saw a tear fall down his cheek.

I still loved the movie, but that part was really a misnomer I think. It would've been like if at the end of the dark knight, we find out that the Joker is really Joe Chill and that he killed Bruce's parents. Would have completely and totally destroyed the mystique behind his character not having an origin.
Er, no.

Talia twist

God forbid a character isn't one-dimensional!

solo2001 wrote: God forbid a character isn't one-dimensional!
This wasn't about dimensions of character, this was taking all the notions you've built up about a character over the past 2 and a half hours, and then completely flushing them down the toilet.

That's not adding dimensions, that's just bad writing. Period.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved the movie. I wasn't crazy about it on my first viewing (mostly because it violated all of my expectations), but I've seen it five times now and I'm loving it more with each viewing. Those last 20 or so minutes *really* felt like a Batman film, and I absolutely love the imagery of the conclusion...
Gordon on the roof with the wind blowing through his hair....the Wayne Mansion and the orphans...Blake in the Bat Cave with the bats flying across his head...very moving and emotional.
It may be my favorite movie out of all three of them (and I absolutely ADORED TDK).

But that doesn't change the fact that the direction they went with Bane was bad writing.

Talia twist
Hardly. I'm not sure you and I were watching the same movie. The "entire movie" was not spent setting Bane up as completely emotionless, pure evil. The filtered back story, set somewhere between truth and legend, showed the very human side of Bane and helped us understand what was possibly driving his current motivations, violence, etc. Bane was one of the most well-drawn characters in the movie.

Baniac wrote:
Talia twist
Hardly. I'm not sure you and I were watching the same movie. The "entire movie" was not spent setting Bane up as completely emotionless, pure evil. The filtered back story, set somewhere between truth and legend, showed the very human side of Bane and helped us understand what was possibly driving his current motivations, violence, etc. Bane was one of the most well-drawn characters in the movie.
A child born in hell...who was the only one to crawl out of the pit...excommunicated by ras al ghul for being too extreme...obliterates anyone who dares cross him or screws up his plans...beats batman to a pulp...the list goes on. Everything about his back story alludes to him being pure evil (Daggert even comes right out and says it). I was utterly terrified of him when I first saw the movie. One of the few villains to actually create that feeling in me while watching a movie.

Then...Bam! Completely turned on a dime. granted, that's probably an attempt at a twist, but it wasn't a good one IMO.

Wasn't a huge deal, though. It's probably the first real criticism I've had in a Nolan movie.

Viper wrote:
Baniac wrote:
A child born in hell...who was the only one to crawl out of the pit...excommunicated by ras al ghul for being too extreme...obliterates anyone who dares cross him or screws up his plans...beats batman to a pulp...the list goes on. Everything about his back story alludes to him being pure evil (Daggert even comes right out and says it). I was utterly terrified of him when I first saw the movie. One of the few villains to actually create that feeling in me while watching a movie.

Then...Bam! Completely turned on a dime. granted, that's probably an attempt at a twist, but it wasn't a good one IMO.
To me, because of the back story fed to us throughout the film, it wasn't a "complete turn on a dime." In fact, the opposite to me. I would have been more surprised if we hadn't gotten something like what was revealed. *shrugs*

God forbid the twist add depth!

I think it would have been a repeat of the Joker if Bane was kept emotionless. Joker didn't have any serious agenda; he just wanted to see a Chaos-Filled City. With Bane, he always had an agenda, even if Talia was in on it as well. Talia really gave me depth and meaning to Bane and made us actually feel sympathy for this monster that we have come to know.

slimshady247 wrote:God forbid the twist add depth!
There's a twist that adds depth...
The moment the woman calls Blake "Robin", a TON of depth is instantly added to the character and you immediately see the entire Blake story in a new way...a way that actually does not conflict with the character that is constructed throughout the movie. You see that twist, and it completely and totally makes sense.
The
Bane twist
detracts from the character, and shifts the movie into a direction that doesn't really make sense.