TDKR's dubbing

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
For many of us foreigners, Europeans or not, the movie has been dubbed in our countries. Have you seen the movie in your native language (or in another language, as long as it is dubbed) and did you like it, and why?

Please bear in mind this is a topic about the movie's dubbings quality, so that would be appreciated if praises/rants about the dubbing industry itself were avoided, thanks.

---

I have seen the movie in both French and English and have compared them a lot. The main usual characters (Bruce, Alfred, Gordon, Fox) all have a very good dubbing, but nothing truly special. The emotions have been respected and this is the most important, but I'll focus more on Bane's dubbing as he has a very special voice to start with. I'll just add before that I think Cotillard, who of course dubbed herself since she's French, did an awful job at that. I don't know whether she should be completely blamed or not for this because the dubbing is a very technical practice and is not granted for every actor, as great as they could be.

So now, to focus on Bane. He has been dubbed by a voice actor whose name is Jérémie Covillault (http://diffusionph.cccommunication.biz/ ... 0301_4.jpg) and that I have never heard of before. I was really anxious before seeing the movie in French because it has been said that the final dubbing had kept the initial voice actor who had dubbed the character for the trailers, and it was simply awful. But it turned out that it wasn't the case and instead, I found this unexpected dubbing very good and faithful to the character.

In all the dubbing, my favorite dubbed scenes were, in the order:
- The prison scene where he talks about hope. The translation was very good and pretty literary, just like in English; the way the dubber almost whispers at the end of a lot of sentences makes the character much more threatening than in English to my mind.
- The first fight between Batman and him (I must say, I prefer the "darkness is your ally" quote more than in English here).
- The Daggett's death scene.
- The Blackgate speech scene.
- The stadium scene.

My least favorite scene is the prologue where, ironically, I just find it like the new prologue's voice; he overplays the character. But this isn't too bad as the rest of the movie makes up for it.

In an interview given to the dubbers of the movie (Bruce's, Alfred's, Bane's and Gordon's), Covillault explains that he couldn't copy what Hardy did with his voice from English to French for stress reasons (emphasizing on certain words or syllabes). Indeed, the stress in English and in French doesn't work the same way. If he had done just like Hardy, he would have sounded like some sort of cheesy tragedian. So he had to find a way to keep the character with a different stress. And I think he did pretty well, even giving Bane a more threatening voice than in English. He sounds a bit less calm but more imposing to my mind. For instance, during the stadium scene and Bane's arrival, Hardy emphasizes on the GO of Gotham, when Covillault did the other way around; he emphasized on the THAM, sprawling the m. Later, during the Blackgate speech, Hardy emphasizes a lot on the word "corrupt"; this can't be done in French as the syllabes are not as rough ('corrompus'), so Covillault enphasized on the "the rich!" line much more than in English.

So in all, here are the pros and the cons of the global dubbing:

Pros:

- Very good quality for almost all characters (except some minor ones like Pavel or the Wayne Enterprises' members, but some others like Barsad had a perfect one. Catwoman and Blake also had a great dubbing, and I especially like Blake's dubber a lot as he's a marvellous voice actor.).
- Bane's voice that I find more menacing than in English.
- The translation of dialogues (in terms of faithfulness in regards to the original dialogues but also in terms of dialogues relating to the previous movies, except for one that I'll explain in the cons).

Cons:

- Cotillard's dubbing, like really...
- Neeson's dubbing. My favorite voice actor dubbed Neeson in Begins, as usual with an enormous talent and bringing something unique to the character, but he retired at the beginning of the year and although this is only for a flashback, I really regret him. This added to the fact that his replacement was simply awful and didn't fit Neeson at all. Gladly, they kept the French translation for the "I had a wife" line exactly like in Begins.
- Speaking of translation's faithfulness, the "theatricality and deception" line said by Bane was translated with different words than the ones used in Begins. Actually, I didn't know it was supposed to be the same line than Neeson's in Begins until I saw the movie in English, so I'm a bit disappointed here. I don't know why the translator didn't keep the translation like for the other lines (knowing that this isn't the same translator as the one that did Begins and TDK, which adds to the risks of unfaithfulness).
- This one doesn't bother me this much, but I thought I'd point it out anyway: Bane's voice effects. This is less nicely done than for the original voice because of course, the voice actor didn't have the mask on (he had a second micro over his face though) and his work had been sent to London with the other dubbings from other countries to be modified to have a mask-like voice, but this is still a little less good than Hardy's original mask effect. Nothing too bothering though.

I plan on doing a montage with all Bane's scenes in French in the following days, but it'll be in screener quality of course.

Quite an interesting read.
Do you... like pineapple?

Lol, goddamn Marion you stunk the joint up on this project. :lol:

Thank God, we don't have dubbing in TV or cinema ; )

I feel so lucky that in Brussels there is only the original version. I would have hated to watch it in French!!! I had to watch Prometheus in French and in 3D. A nightmare!!!

I had to endure TDKR in German dubbing, and it's nothing I'd recommend. Some characters were done well - eg. Alfred and Selina Kyle - but I always have a problem with Bales dubbing, 'cause he has the same dubbing voice as Johnny Depp. I literally always see Depp before me when I watch a German movie wit Bale. It's really annoying.

But Bane was even worse. His dubbing was ridiculous, at least when you know his actual voice from the trailer.

Luckily my cinema offered also an original version of TDKR so that I've seen it at least one time in English in theaters.

I watched first in English and then in European Spanish. The Dub was generally very good and they corrected Bane's voice from the trailers (which sounded horrible).

I didn't like Talia's dub, however, as they try to make her sound foreign by imitating a pseudo-french accent which looked ridiculous and she was hards to take seriously.
Un lladre es un artista. Fa servir la imaginació per lluirse cuan roba el seu trofeu. Els detectius només analitzen el delicte i ens denuncien. Els detectius son uns simples critics.

Awesome post, SFT! I really appreciate the detailed analysis.

I hope there'll be a way to hear it in Italian before too long, without having to fly to Italy; I'd love to do a side-by-side comparison.

It sounds like Bane's French dubber really adhered to my personal translation philosophy, in terms of adapting as best as possible for the target language, rather than trying to stay so devoted to the source language that the target one suffers for it. Context is the key.

But speaking of Liam Neeson being dubbed, that reminds me of when I saw the first Narnia movie dubbed over into Italian-- the guy who voiced Aslan didn't really have much of anything in the way of subtle power or majesty. Kind of makes me antsy for Ra's...

Im Mexican...
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand

I dont like seeing dubbed movies in the Cinema or the Telly...
for instance... I had to watch Lorax in spanish.. they completly butchered the songs!

Dubbing shouldn't exists!!!
Only subtitles!!

SUBTITLES FOR THE WIN!!! :JGLface:

I couldn't imagine seeing a movie dubbed like that. It would just feel weird... once you know Bale's voice... Hardy's voice... I don't know, just weird.

But what was wrong with Cotillard's dubbing? Anything specific you can remember? A certain scene? That's very unfortunate.